Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Shooter Supply

desmo

Sharp Shooter Supply

Is there currently a long wait to get your Savage True and Timed at SSS?

I have heard through this forum that you usually have to get on a list of some sort. Is there a special procedure for this?

Thanks

Re: Sharp Shooter Supply

Call or email Lisa and tell her you want on the list then just wait but it's worth it.
    Bob

desmo

I assume Lisa works for SSS so you mean just call or email them directly to get on the list, right?

Just curious but anyone here waiting for a true and time job who knows how long the waiting time is currently?

Basic Member

Yes, Lisa is Fred's (the owner and guy that does the work) wife.

used to be 2 years when it was first introduced. not that they were slow, just that many of us wanted it done and then when some people's turn came up they wanted barrel and other time consuming thing added to the job the pushed everyone else back.
    LOL Much shorter now.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

desmo

2 years...!!!!.....

I hope it's better now, hoping no more than a few weeks.

Lefty Savage

I got on the "list" right before Christmas and I'm supposed to ship my action 1st or 2nd week of march....

Basic Member

I remember last february I had them build a barrel for me, when the barrel was finished in May, I sent the rifle off to them and got the gun back end of may. I would not just send in for a T&T job, but get multiple things done at the same time.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

desmo

To get the true and time action job done do you need to send in your entire rifle or just the bolt?

What else would you recommend getting done besides the true and time? I have a stock 10FCP HS.

Toyoda

send them the action without the barrel, bolt, and recoil lug(good time to upgrade on that as well).

Real nice people to work with, any savage action I get will go their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyoda
    send them the action without the barrel, bolt, and recoil lug(good time to upgrade on that as well).

Real nice people to work with, any savage action I get will go their way.
    they need the compleat receiver with trigger and the bolt! they can true the receiver but there is no way to time it with out all the parts!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Toyoda

thats what I meant. ;D

desmo

So in other words just send them the whole rifle. I'm not going to break up my rifle into separate compnoents since I don't know what I'm doing. ???

One other question, is it easy to install a replacement (longer) bolt handle yourself? When you take off the stock one by unscrewing the back of the bolt are you basically disassembling the bolt and releasing the spring tension on the firing pin?

LOL ya dyslexiced your nuts and bolts. there are enough nuts there already :D

wkt60

My appointment is for the 1st week of April,,,, requested it about 2 weeks ago ( 2 1/2 months out)

I FEEL IT'S WORTH THE WAIT.

Fred took an action I trashed last year,twisted it taking off the barrel, & made it like new

Sent mine in 1st of December and got it back about a week ago had T&T, Evolution trigger and the bolt fluted. Think I'm going to get on the list for another.

DGD6MM

Now serving #------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ :D

82boy

A bit of information, The reason why they have a list is because they wait until they have a bunch of actions, that way they do them all at the same time. Something like a assembly line. This would also account for why someone may be one the list earlier, and someone that has not been on the list that long having the same appointment time.

desmo

Question regarding the replacement of the stock bolt handle. Is the screw in the rear of the bolt that holds the handle in place under pressure from the compressed firing pin spring? I just want to know if I need to do something before unscrewing it to install a larger bolt handle for more leverage.

82boy

Just unscrew it, nothing will fly out. Now when you go to put it back together you need to decock the bolt so that the threads of the screw will start, then recock it on the edge of a work bench.

desmo

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Just unscrew it, nothing will fly out. Now when you go to put it back together you need to decock the bolt so that the threads of the screw will start, then recock it on the edge of a work bench.
    Is it easy to decock the bolt while the screw is out? Isn't everything lose at that point without the screw compressing everything within the bolt housing? Can you decock the bolt before you take out the bolt action screw?

82boy

Yes, decock the bolt when you have it apart and you are ready to put it back togeather, Place the Back action screw (BAS) and start is a few threads, (A turn or two) and then recock the bolt and finish tighting down the BAS.

desmo

Yes, decock the bolt when you have it apart and you are ready to put it back togeather, Place the Back action screw (BAS) and start is a few threads, (A turn or two) and then recock the bolt and finish tighting down the BAS.
    That's great, thanks for the tip!

BTW, anyone use one of SSS's longer tactical bolt handles with their Savage? Do they improve the heavy bolt lift issue at all for you?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by desmo
    BTW, anyone use one of SSS's longer tactical bolt handles with their Savage? Do they improve the heavy bolt lift issue at all for you?
    I have them on all my Savage rifles, and have a few spares laying around. Yes, they will improve some bolt lift issues. I find that there is a noticable diference going from the factory BT(Big knob) handle to the SSS.

desmo

Quote Originally Posted by desmo
    I have them on all my Savage rifles, and have a few spares laying around. Yes, they will improve some bolt lift issues. I find that there is a noticable diference going from the factory BT(Big knob) handle to the SSS.
    Do you have any RH black tactical handles laying?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast