Thread: primers

primers

Anybody have a good on line source for rifle primers at reasonable prices?
    Looking for CCI large and small rifle most places I've checked are back ordered and the local shops are asking $48 and up per 1000 if they have them.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

ICUDIEN

Re: primers

The only way I can get some around here is to go to gunshows.

Skunce

Take a look over at Powder Valley. I don't know if they have the ones you're looking for in stock, but they do have some of the best prices.

steveinwv

$48 is reasonable at this time in my area. The last I saw, Powder Valley was backordered 50 million primers and taking no more orders, no kidding. Don't ever expect to pay $20/1000 again.

Basic Member

We are paying $25.50 for Wolf sm rifle and sm pistol primers @ Powder Valley. Just tried some in 223 Rem yesterday. Standard deviation was lower than CCI 400's and about the same as Rem 7 1/2's. I think I'm going to stay with them.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

ICUDIEN

I just bought some Wolf SR for my 6 BR but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. I'll be trying them in my 223 also.

Basic Member

Cabelas had a good supply of CCI 200 and 400s last week. I have had some Fed205s on order with them for 6 plus months. They keep calling and stating they can ship the CCIs immediately for the same price. I am still waiting on my Feds.

I also went to the Wolf SRM in my 6BR this summer. Outstanding performance. Tim

][quote . Don't ever expect to pay $20/1000 again. [/quote]

I remember $12.50/1000 and that is how long ago I bought mine. Being young&dumb I only bought 3000 never thinking I would use that many, at the time I bought 4000 large and small pistol and 5000 rifle, 2000 small.
    Then as life would have it crap happens ended up retired very early (45) and once I was able started spending more time at the range, now I'm down to my last 300. Sticker shock isn't the problem, it is trying to find them everyone seems to be out of stock or will only let you buy a few hundred at a time.
    Hoarding is the main reason for the shortage, I know a few guys that have no less than 17,000-20,000 sitting on the shelves in their reloading rooms and they are still looking for more.
    FROGGY

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy
    ][quote . Don't ever expect to pay $20/1000 again. Hoarding is the main reason for the shortage, I know a few guys that have no less than 17,000-20,000 sitting on the shelves in their reloading rooms and they are still looking for more.
    I don't consider that hoarding, they could be like me, since I started reloading back about 1971 or so I have always tried to buy primers 5K at a time (it just saves money) so if I only used 1 brand/type per style for example only WLR for large rifle, Federal 215 for magnum rifle CCI 400 for small rifle and I restocked them all at the same time I would carry home 15,000 in one sack. I usually try every different primer that I can when working up handloads so that would put me over the 20K mark in a single style of primer. For me it's a simple matter of logistics, I'm a long way from the nearest reloading supply store so if I need something that isn't in the loading room I'm usually just out of luck! I don't buy primers just for the sake of stashing them but I have a standing order in for for 5K Federal GM215M and can't get them so I pulled my 6.5-.284 barrel off and stuck it in the safe because I'm out of primers for it. I don't know an exact count but I could have that many large rifle primers alone and that doesn't even take pistol primers into consideration. I haven't bought any primers in over a year because aside from the above mentioned Federals I don't need any. I will start looking for some CCI 400's in the near future because I'm under 500 of them, by the way the ones I'm using now are priced at $1.10 per 100! I really doubt that I'll be able to replace them for that! I may have to start buying 1000 at a time just because of the price and that just means more trips to the gun shop. The guys I have a problem with are the ones that buy all they can find and then sell them at inflated prices just to make a buck off the poor guy that can't get them any other way.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

pphreed1

depends on where you are friend just picked up a thousand rem 7 1/2 for me in seattle 36 bucks i think he said sinclair had them a few day ago if you want to pay hazmat

possum1

Giving $42 1000 down in the Ozark's when you can find them. Gun show's best bet now.

steveinwv

I gave 34.95 for cci450s about 2 months ago, but this is rare. I read a few months back that RCBS was selling more presses than they could make for the first time ever. That coincides with the scare that went on before the last election. Loads of people bought up reloading supplies 'just in case' and now it makes it rough on everybody that already reloaded. The trouble is that I shoot around 5000 rounds per year for fun, and a lot of these so called hoarders now have the capability to load 10000+ rounds, yet they aren't likely to shoot more than 100 rounds per year. The reason the price won't come back down is because now the reloading companies know what we are willing to pay, and it's all about profit margin.

Basic Member

The component makers know that a lot of people have bought what amounts to a lifetime supply of primers and may never buy another. I think that in a year or so you are going to see primers, powder and bullets at yard sales and flea markets at greatly reduced prices when some of these hoarders realise that they will never shoot up what they bought in a panic.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

I just got home from the gun shop I was able to get 1k large rifle and 1k small rifle cci primers at a cost of $36+tax. There is a sign stating 1k per customer, and there were only 2 boxes of each on the shelf.
    The owner said he expects a delivery any time this week for more and he will let me know so I can pick up some more. Only reason he will call is because I'm about 45min ride from his shop and he knows I made a specail trip just for the primers. Next time in I may order a new rifle but I am waiting for a stock and want to measure the screw spacing first.
    FROGGY

Deserthunter

I bought several thousand CCI-550 (small pistol mag) about 10days ago, they lasted about a day, but at least they are starting to show up now.... Try paying $120-$140/1000 for ETRONX primers, lol.....
    I just keep checking the sites every week and they are starting to show up more often now, I even tried 3-4k Magtech in my .223, they were great, no problems at all..... I think the worst might be over, but your right prices will never come all the way back....

Desert.....