Thread: Cutting Barrel To 20"

nicholas306

Cutting Barrel To 20"

I have a 10fp with a 24" barrel. I was thinking of cutting the barrel 4" and having a Badger Thruster installed. Anyone here cut the factory barrel? What loss in MV did you see?

Thanks

Google "Ballistics by the inch". I think you will find all the details on impact to mv when decreasing barrel length.

stangfish
    Nich, I am sending you a pm.

sinman
    I cut over 100 a year like that, yes you will loose some fps. What you gain is a more balanced rifle and one that handles easier

nicholas306
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    I cut over 100 a year like that, yes you will loose some fps. What you gain is a more balanced rifle and one that handles easier
    Yeah, I know I will. Just wondering if anyone has chronograph numbers before and after.

Tactical Operations has a very good article about 308 barrel lengths & velocity that you can find via Google.

nicholas306
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Tactical Operations has a very good article about 308 barrel lengths & velocity that you can find via Google.
    Yeah, that one has been around for a long time. That article is based off of high quality barrels that Tac Ops use, and 168 gr FGMM. Those rifles will always produce higher velocities than my factory Savage just because of the tighter chambers and over all better barrel quality.

Mach2
    You won't lose much. Savage has a lightweight model with a 20".

You might see if someone has a threaded 20" they would trade.you might save a few bucks that way and also help someone who wants a little more barrel. Win win everybody's Happy Happy Happy. I have a sporter that I cut down to 16" and though I haven't chronyd it I don't think anything edible wants to be in front of it even a long ways off. Look at some of the groups and the distances some of the striker shooters are doing with 12" barrels. That and the desire for a super handy little carbine is why I cut mine down.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

nicholas306
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    You might see if someone has a threaded 20" they would trade.you might save a few bucks that way and also help someone who wants a little more barrel. Win win everybody's Happy Happy Happy. I have a sporter that I cut down to 16" and though I haven't chronyd it I don't think anything edible wants to be in front of it even a long ways off. Look at some of the groups and the distances some of the striker shooters are doing with 12" barrels. That and the desire for a super handy little carbine is why I cut mine down.
    To late for that. It's already cut. Plus, I know what this barrel has been through. About only 100 rounds down it.

I have seen most gains or loss in fps per inch longer or shorter is about 15-25 fps per inch.

nicholas306
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    I have seen most gains or loss in fps per inch longer or shorter is about 15-25 fps per inch.
    Thanks. Either way, not too bad.

Basic Member
    I think you will love it. I had a .260 barrel and a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel cut last yr to 20" for deer rifle builds and I love them. Much handier and quicker to point....especially in a deer blind or box.

Mach2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECKsFicSbrw

Heres a youtube from the Quinn brothers at Gunblast on the Savage 11 Creedmore lightweight model with a 20" barrel. He discusses his tests with a 28" barrel vs the 20".

brasse
    Just watched a TV show, Ruger rifles and Hornady 308 ammo They had the exact same barrel at 5-6 different lengths, starting at 18 inch and going to 28 inches. Bottom line is you can go to 18-20 inches and use Superformance and regain the 150-200 fps back.

Problem with Superformance is it uses a highly temperature sensitive double base powder, and has had many examples of poor accuracy and at worst, dangerous pressure in factory rifles.

A friend had a 700 VTR 223 and had a case head separation with Superformance...