Thread: can the Savage custom shop make a .257 Roberts?

chilly

can the Savage custom shop make a .257 Roberts?

I recently discovered this forum, and found out about the custom shop. Does anyone know if they can make a rifle in .257 Roberts? I'm thinking about a .257 with a 22 inch barrel. Would it be better to go with 24 inches instead? I'll probably give Savage a call if I don't get a response from you guys. Thanks.

Basic Member

Re: can the Savage custom shop make a .257 Roberts?

You probably need to go to the source to answer these questions. If they won't you can custom build one and we can help sort the details if and when you are ready to make the plunge.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

If they have ever made a Roberts then yes they can. call them up, they are eager to help. Would do 24" but that is just me. I'm 6.5 and like a little longer gun than most. I bet most Roberts are in the 22" range.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

deerkiller

If 257 Roberts is not available, they are chambering 250 savage.
    Then have the chamber reamed by a smith to 257 Roberts.
    Just make sure they build it with a magazine that can handle the longer Roberts cartridge.

Then again, have you looked at the 250 savage?

dk

ellobo

Build one for yourself bud. Dozens on this website have done that with components the bought from vendors on this website. Savages are so easy to build that anyone handy with tools can do it. Plus you can get a much better barrel (at higher cost) to go on your build. Call Jim at Northlander and he can set you up with about anything you want. I do suggest you go with a long action for that cartridge, as its parent is the 7x57 mauser necked down. Plus side is you can order a barrel with the rate of twist to suit what type bullets you will use.

El Lobo

jlcpls

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Build one for yourself bud. Dozens on this website have done that with components the bought from vendors on this website. Savages are so easy to build that anyone handy with tools can do it. Plus you can get a much better barrel (at higher cost) to go on your build. Call Jim at Northlander and he can set you up with about anything you want. I do suggest you go with a long action for that cartridge, as its parent is the 7x57 mauser necked down. Plus side is you can order a barrel with the rate of twist to suit what type bullets you will use.

El Lobo
    Build it! Get the long action, like The Wolf said.

If you want a good looker, than go with the new model 114's. Get an aftermarket barrel and install it yourself. You can get a fast twist if you are planning on the heavy weight 25 cal bullets, or something slower if you are dipping down into the varmint category.

All the instructions, tips, and suggestions are within the digital tome that is savageshooters.com. (not trying to sound like an advertisement, its just a fact)

After you have personally made it the gun you want it to be, then lean back and have a cigar, and a short glass of single malt scotch on the rocks. Bask in the afterglow of your successful build.

Basic Member

Definitely go with the long action, but set back with Kentucky Bourbon on the rocks!
    Man and man's best friend. Still looking at the green side of sod

hank440

Call and ask it's free first 1 800 370 0708 ext 6 ask for Effie Sullivan

if they won't, then like was said above build it your self it's easy and fun too

ellobo

By all means, call Effie. If they dont make the .257 Bob, then go the build it yourself route. You dont have to buy a complete Savage and swap barrels unless you want to go that route. Savage custom shop guns will have you paying a premium so why not build a custom of your own design with the stock, barrel and trigger you want. Look as the SSS website (advertises here) for a stock, recoil lug, nice trigger guard and maybe a barrel. Or Jim Briggs at Northlander (another advertiser here) will sell you an action of your choice and even install the barrel for you, he sells Shilen and McGowen barrels. End cost might be a bit higher than the custom shop price, but you can buy the parts when you have the cash, not a lump sum, and end up with a custom that will be the envy of all at the range. Thats worth a self satisfied grin, bottle of booze of your choice and a good cigar. Plus, you will be able to swap barrels to other cartridges for other purposes if you feel the need (and you will).

El Lobo

Bad Water Bill

Chilly

Yes on what the wolf said and WELCOME to the site

chilly

Wow! Thanks for all the good replies. Effie and I played phone tag today, and yes, they can handle a .257 Roberts for me. I'll likely call her again in the morning to get the ball rolling.

Building it myself sounds like a lot of fun, but I already have a bunch of gun projects yet to finish. I'll be happy to have Savage build it for me.

Deerkiller - A .250 Savage would be my second choice as far as calibers go. But I've wanted a Roberts for so many years, I just gotta go with that. Maybe the .250 will get the nod next time.

hank440

OK so tell what kind of Savage .257 Roberts are you going to order ?

chilly

Model 114 Classic. Monte Carlo stock, oil finish. Blue. No sights. Still undecided about barrel length. Not sure whether to go with detachable magazine or hinged floorplate. I don't really have a preference, like 'em both.
    May have my last name put on the barrel or bolt body. I think I read where that is an option. Not sure how it would look, and it may make the gun harder to sell in the future. What the heck, I never sell any of my guns anyway.

Basic Member

Can't remember where they came from...

But there's a couple of Savage 257 Roberts around here somewhere.

Think they have Leupold compact scopes on them.

But they don't have no carbine barrels.

felixXJ

I wrote them a honest to goodness snailmail letter about getting a gun in 7x57 and they have yet to send me a reply - 2 months. Bad customer service if you ask me... >

358Hammer

It has taken 3-weeks to two months for simple things to be delivered in my experience.

Let us presume your letter went to a specific person. If it did not go to a specific person it would be very easy if that letter made it to Savage to be lost,misplaced.

Depending on department, I would actually call the department head and tell them to be looking for your letter. Ask specific's so that you know they will get the letter. I would not automaticly presume you are being ignored.

Neal

Chilly this not a complaint but I ordered a 7mm rem mag from the custom shop on Sept.2 was told I would have it in my hands within 6 weeks, on Nov. 25th it was delivered to my ffl and I didn't get a call until Dec.4, almost 15 weeks, so if you are in a hurry maybe building it yourself is the way to go. I know my next will be a home build with help from the guys here.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

USAFA71

I got my left-hand 257 Roberts about four months ago - Accutrigger, Accustock, 22" barrel. The only thing I regret is not getting it in stainless, but the gun shoots well with minimal load development. Didn't have time this year to do much load development, so when I found a load(H4831) that shoots the Nosler Partition right at 1", I stopped for this year. Took a nice 4x4 whitetail at all of 30 yards this year! But what really makes me happy is that the gun is fun to shoot! With the Accustock the recoil is much less than my Ruger #1 that weighs nearly two pounds more. Mine is on the short action, but the magazine allows bullets seated to 2.9+ inches, so the 100 gr Nosler Partition is easily seated so that it only rides in the next without taking up powder space. With the frontal shot I took this year that put the Partition all the way into the left rear leg, I don't think I need any more penetration!
    I love the gun, and highly recommend calling Effie and getting what you want!

gge515

I got my Weather Warrior Model 16FHSS 257 Roberts last summer. It has the accutrigger, accustock, stainless steel, 22 in bbl, hinged floorplate, synthetic stock. I ordered it through the Savage Custom Shop. I worked up loads with the Nosler 100 gr BT and the Nosler 110 Accubond. It will shoot either under an inch with H4350 or Varget and I have a couple of times shot 5/8" groups. It's a beautiful rifle. It has a short action and I have had no problem with seating depth. When you have a custom rifle made through the custom shop they charge suggested retail. I paid $875 for my rifle. I requested the Varmint trigger and it came at 2lb trigger pull which I really like.

ICUDIEN

Geez $875???? Man thats more then I paid for my LRPV by $100. If it were me I would build one myself. ;D

davemuzz

Yeah....let's see...In 2008 I put together my 6.5x55 Swede with a Shilen barrel as follows:

Model 12 Single shot Stainless Action..........$310
    Savage Stock (Jim) Laminated....................$130
    Shilen Bead Blasted SS Barrel.....................$280
    Sub-Total............................................. .$720
    Leupold 4-12 Rifleman scope.......................$300

Grand Total all Cost..................................$1,020

Now, granted I got a good deal on the action and the stock......but still....it's a custom barrel. And the gun will shoot the eyelashes off of fly's at 400 yards. (Well....OK....maybe it's only 375 yards.....but it's pretty accurate!!!)

Dave

Basic Member

And that action, stock, and scope can be used with another barrel so you can have lots of custom rifles.

Wait, that's how my problem started.

Forget it.

davemuzz

Hammer,

From what I've read.....you don't count. Your waaaaaaaaaaaay over the edge. From what others have said in double secrete probation PM's.....Global warming is actually caused by the Earth spinning off it's axis because there are too many barrels at your house.

The sheer weight alone is causing a bad wobble.....you know.....like a KIA without a tire alignment.

It's just not good.

But again.....just what I've heard.

Dave

Basic Member

And that action, stock, and scope can be used with another barrel so you can have lots of custom rifles.

Wait, that's how my problem started.

Forget it.
    Brother Hammer,

This is a very important step. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step towards over coming it.

As a Savage Brother, I am here for you. You must have all future barrels, actions, etc. forwarded to me (shipping address will be forwarded to you in a PM). Cold turkey is the only way to control this addiction.

It will not be easy at first. You will spend many days staring out the front door, waiting for the UPS driver that is not going to come. With time, the need will slowly diminish and you will be able to, once again, be a productive member of society. (Is a mathmatician a productive member of society?)

In time, perhaps 3-5 years down the road, I will be able to slowly start returning these items back to you. We will just have to play it by ear and see if you can handle it.

Now is the time to get back your life.

Brent
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

I think you would fair better by calling. As for customer service I bought a Savage with the Accu-trigger screwed it up my self sent it back to Savage told them I screwed it up they replace it a no charge, had it back in a week. Can't get any better sevice than that. Confusces say, one call better than 1000 words.;D Atleast That is what I think he said. Good Luck Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust