Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage axis package scope

Basic Member

But hey if I had a free Night Force Scope and all I had was an Axis you better believe I'd throw it on there!

Mach2
    The Leupold needs to be on a Savage Classic but for now the Axis should be very happy dating a Leupold. It's sorta like the waterboy dating the head cheerleader. LOL!
    I watch Jeff Quinn over at Gunblast.com. He switches Leupolds around on different rifles as need be. I saw him move a VX-3 onto a Savage with a Creedmore barrel. Hmm, you don't suppose your Leupold may end up on a..............nah.

Dirtydeeds
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    I dont understand the mind frame here that if it is not an expensive rifle it dont deserve to have a decent or great scope. As long as the gun/scope are matching the user needs you get the best glass you can afford.
    I %100 agree with you "As long as the gun/scope are matching the user needs you get the best glass you can afford". The part that amused me ( and made me somewhat envious) was the fact he got a Leupold VX3. Again I'm not knocking the axis but I think most would agree it is a budget rifle. It's a bit unusual to find this type of higher end scope on what could easily be considered a budget rifle.

Now just because I say budget rifle does not mean I am saying the rifle is no good. I very much enjoy shooting mine. I have a black and stainless axis in a .270 which I put an older version Leupold VX2. I personally think it's a decent match. If I had a VX3 I'd probably put that on there instead.

Please keep in mind post like this do not always convey some of our light hearted comments and we are often left at the mercy of the person's interpretation who is reading it. I admit, lol my laziness while typing some of these post may very well have contributed to this but I meant no disrespect. I actually do like the scope and rifle.

Last edited by Dirtydeeds; 08-27-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added a pic

afartinthewind
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. The main reason I posted was to add that the sharpshooter that came with my axis failed miserably in my case. I add the bit about the vx3 only to brag (ugh) about getting a $1000 scope for $40 because I'm VERY exited about it. I definitely wouldn't have considered purchasing it at MSRP for an entry level rifle no more than I'd put a $2000 intake/exhaust on a dodge neon. However if said intake/exhaust came to me at say $80 I'd absolutely pull the trigger. Pun intended :)
    I should add that I found the comment about the 300 rifle on the 600 scope highly amusing. I did indeed Lolz.
    Last edited by afartinthewind; 08-28-2013 at 01:35 AM.

My axis 308 has a 4 x 12 leupold rifleman which I scored someplace for somewhere around $250. Even the crap 3 x 9's which almost every package deal has are in the mid to upper $100 class but generally are useless to me. My axis with the very basic and light-weight leupold has produced ragged one-hole groups. Good glass is going to make any rifle shoot better.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds View Post
    It's a bit unusual to find this type of higher end scope on what could easily be considered a budget rifle.
    I wonder if Savage did that on purpose...Budget rifle so you can afford to put high end glass on it?

Of course--this raises the question--why not slap on a good pair iron sites and see what you can do? : )

Nandy
    To start let me just say I was not offended, heck, I dont even own an Axis YET...
    My point was that an Axis can shoot as good as any stock 110/10 action and if you do upgrades it will shoot as good as any upgraded 110/10 gun so there should be no shame in adding good glass to a good gun no matter if the good gun was a budget gun.
    Group hug!!!! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    I wonder if Savage did that on purpose...Budget rifle so you can afford to put high end glass on it?
    My theory has always been package guns come with factory seconds/refurbisheds from the scope makers. Can't prove it of course. : ) Maybe ammo manufacturers subsidize them--it might take a 100 rounds to zero and you might still be scratching your head wondering why you can't get that sub-MOA : )

Muzz
    Just want to throw in my 2 cents about the bushnell scope that come with the axis rifles,

In a word terrible.
    Just yesterday I was down the range breaking in the barrel on my new axis 270 and sighting it in, after 30 rounds I was happy. After the 31st the reticule detached itself from the inside of the scope. I took it back to the store and they gave me $50 credit back and I bought a redfield scope to replace it.

I'm just happy that it happened at the range and not on the first shot on a weekend away hunting.

My advise, is to do it right the first time and spend as mush on your scope as you do your rifle. In the long run you won't regret it.

Sounds like a proper break-in--you fired, it broke. : ) Package scopes are like going out on a blind date. : )
    Last edited by thermaler; 08-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Team Savage
    And for all those who claim we are just a bunch of "scope snobs" and "package scope bashers", I rest my case. You'll spend more time and waste more ammo trying to sight-in and keep these bargin scopes zeroed than they are worth. Sell it as a new take-off on Ebay and someone will most likely take it off your hands for more than it's worth. Take the cash and what you are going to waste on ammo and get yourself a decent scope backed by a no hassel manufacture warranty. You will be money ahead in the long run.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-29-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Inebriated
    My .243 has one. It's been great, considering its price point and all. Not as clear as the Nikon 3-9x40 (which I actually like a lot) that came on my 111, but it get's the job done. It has been on the rifle for about a year, and is only going to come off when it either shatters, or I get an SWFA.

For what it's worth, though, the only reason I bought the packages was because they were on sale, and comparable to the non-package options. The other Savages I have were bought naked. I would rather not spend extra for a package, when I'm just going to replace the scope anyway.
    Last edited by Inebriated; 09-11-2013 at 02:40 AM.

paperkite
    I just got one of the Axis XP packages in .223 for my grandson , as an entry level rifle he will most likely still be shooting years from now . It was a great deal at 329$ nib on sale and I reload .223 for several rifles of my own (which he is learning how ) . It is a great entry level rifle and one should not expect Savage to put a wonderful scope on such a package . When grandson some day will be buying his own and he will never forget the first time with this rifle . He is a good shot and I expect he will be buying more Savages ( not to mention inheriting many of my guns and rifles ) as he gets older. He is a great shooting partner and his Grandmother and I felt he deserved a good start. So if you have someone in your life that you want to do something good for, get 'em to church .... and Get 'em an Axis XP !!! Nope, I don't own any stock or any way have a financial intrest in Savage...

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds View Post
    So how does it feel having a $300 rifle on your $600 scope?
    My shooting buddy has a $1500 Swarovski on his .270 Axis! We laugh about it every time we shoot that rifle. Another buddy gave him the scope. Luckily his Axis is more accurate than a high dollar rifle that would usually wear a scope like that. Like they say "you can't hit what you can't see".

greybeard43
    My axis .223 has a 400 dollar scope on it. Gen1 night vision to be exact. Armasight 3x. It is set up for hog hunting at night. Darn fog is hampering me right now, but on a clear night I can keep the bullet holes in a 2 in bull at 100 yards. The light weight of the axis is welcome to me because of the weight of the scope. I happen to like the trigger that is on it as it came out of the box. A lot better than my budget ar-15 which my son uses with the same type of scope. The rifle is used as I intended when I bought it. If I wanted a 2000 dollar bench rest rifle I would have bought one and used a night force scope on it like my neighbor who can consistently put 10 rounds under a quarter at 200 yards. For a hog hunting rifle, the axis is perfect for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard43 View Post
    If I wanted a 2000 dollar bench rest rifle I would have bought one and used a night force scope on it like my neighbor who can consistently put 10 rounds under a quarter at 200 yards. For a hog hunting rifle, the axis is perfect for me.
    A man after my own heart! Some folks bemoan the Axis stock, trigger, etc., etc. because they are not equal to features on rifles that cost twice as much or more. I have to ask -- what were you wanting to buy? If what you want is a very inexpensive, light, handy, superbly accurate hunting rifle, you'll hardly find better than the Axis. If you are wanting a $1000 rifle, you will be disappointed -- except with the accuracy. In value-per-dollar, they can't be beat.

dirtroad
    Hi, I'm pretty new here but thought I'd throw in my .02 of experience. I posted in decisions area a little while back and decided to go with a new axis vs used 11. I got the axis package with bushnel scope mainly because I wanted the stainless barrel and action and I liked the camo pattern, but only the package came in that. I had wanted to get a better scope before deer season, but I figured I'd use the one on there until I saved up a little more.

That scope on my rifle was terrible, I shot two brands of ammo about 10 shots each over 2 days before I wised up and went in the house and grabbed my older winchester 7 mag shot three shots, then I could say ok it's not me. I don't shoot year round and wanted to be sure it wasn't me. When I started getting 14" spacing a I was pretty sure it was the scope. Took it back to the retailer and when he took it out of the mounts and shook it, you could here broken stuff inside, but to look through it, it was fine. The man said well the scope is definitely bad. That was 20 round in 308 caliber and it was junked. They offered me another one or $50 off any other scope. They had a nikon buckmaster with bdc on sale so with an extra 50 off I got it for $139.00, shot yesterday first two shots 3/4" apart. And was easy to zero in from there.

I'm sure there not all bad but I wasn't spending another $25 in ammo and $30 in gas to the store and back, not to mention time and aggravation, to find out if I lucked in to a good one. I haven't had any over $100 scopes before ( all my others are early 1980's Tasco world class and they still work so I use them) but so far I really like the nikon and feel it was well worth the money, definitely the nicest one I've used in my budget/ price range.

Alleycat
    I had always said that the package scope was decent. This past weekend we were sighting in our rifles for deer season and after shooting the axis I picked up another rifle with a Nikon Monarch on it and I can't even describe how good it felt to my eye compared to the Bushnell package scope. The Bushnell made me feel like I got smoke in my eyes and the Nikon made me feel like having a smoke...lol
    That crappy scope keeps putting them into an inch however...

BTW, I have a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5x10x42 due in any day now....:)

dirtroad
    I'm sure you will love the monarc, I really like the buckmaster and yours is a definite step up from that. Glad to here your package scope worked, even if its not the clearest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12