Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage axis package scope

Basic Member

Savage axis package scope

How good is the bushnell 3-9 scope that comes on some savage axis rifle packages? If I bought a 308 would I need to change out the scope?

thomae
    It's a low end basic scope. What do you want to do with the rifle?
    I've taken deer in PA (PA=short ranges) with similar scopes. If you want to shoot 1000 yards, it's probably not the scope for you.
    What do you want to do with the rifle?

Basic Member
    It would be a hunting rifle nothing long range

Team Savage
    It is most likely a entry level Bushnell Sharpshooter. I would sell it as a new take-off to get the most value out of it (around $50). Then use the money on a little better scope.

Nandy
    ^^^ what he said. Last bushnell I got in a package with a savage was a joke, given it was over 10 years ago.... good luck!

Basic Member
    Try it out. Odds are you will find it unspectacular but perfectly adequate for your purposes.

The one that came on my axis .223 does just fine in that caliber but I would limit it to 22 or 223 rifles.

Mach2
    The fact that you are in this forum may mean you are not in the intended market the package rifle was designed for as your interest in rifles and scopes may be too advanced. Package rifles are not built for scope snobs. LOL

junkman1967
    The one on my 308 works fine. If you desire a better scope after you shoot it, by all means change it. I like the Nikon pro staff for its price

Dirtydeeds
    For hunting the scope is fine. Beware people who bash low end scopes and recommend a $200+ scope. They tend to not factor in the reason why we purchased a low price rifle package in the first place. Consider an axis package is approx $400. If we had an extra $200 for a new scope we would have probably just purchased a Savage Hunter XP package in the first place. It's a better gun and better scope (Nikon(Canada) or Weaver(States)) for an extra $100.

Basic Member
    Does anyone know if Savage puts loctite (blue), on the base screws for those rifles which come with either a scope package or scope bases?

Nandy
    Neither of the 2 110 I have had any but they were made in around 1998 so who knows what they do now. I seriously doubt it.

Dirtydeeds
    Never hand any loctite on my axis, my hunter xp or my fathers 111. I read a few times not to use loctite, the threads are to delicate and may strip etc if you ever have to remove the screws again. A few places recommend a few drops of oil on the screws.

Mach2
    Loctite is no more a danger to use of firearms than it is to use on engines. Naturally if you slop Loctite accidentally onto a carb jet you will mess up engine operation. When you remove Loctited screws just touch the tip of a solder iron to them to soften it up. However if you overtightened the screws in the first place don't blame it on the Loctite if the threads strip. Learning to be a home gunsmith is basically brain over brawn: neat over sloppy. Why do you think Loctite comes in tiny tubes
    (hint hint)?

Basic Member
    And generally on rifles/scopes you use blue loctite, not red loctite. Guess I'll have to remove the scope I just mounted on my Max 1 so I can put blue loctite on the base screws which came with the gun.

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Why do you think Loctite comes in tiny tubes
    (hint hint)?
    So santas helpers gnomes can use it with their little hands?

afartinthewind
    My Axis is in .270 and the sharpshooter that came with it had the crosshair ring drop on round 38. I'm of the opinion that it is dog****. When I looked into sending it back for repairs (I had it a week) I had to pay shipping both ways as well as a $10 "processing" fee. Total was about $40 on a $50 scope that I didn't trust anyway. In hindsight I would have bought her naked and just bought a better scope. Fortunately I had a connection at leupold who hooked me up with a vx-3l with the 56mm objective for free just had to pay for the rings and mounts. God bless good buddies in high places.

Dirtydeeds
    So how does it feel having a $300 rifle on your $600 scope?

Basic Member
    Scopes normally out price the rifle they sit on in most builds I've seen. At least builds of serious comp shooters or long range rigs. Or come close to doing so.

afartinthewind
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds View Post
    So how does it feel having a $300 rifle on your $600 scope?
    Somewhere between silly and awesome depending on how busy the range is.

in case your curious..
    Last edited by afartinthewind; 08-26-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Pic

Dirtydeeds
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Scopes normally out price the rifle they sit on in most builds I've seen. At least builds of serious comp shooters or long range rigs. Or come close to doing so.
    Yeah but an axis (which I'm not knocking as I own one in a .270 and like very much)

Dirtydeeds
    Quote Originally Posted by afartinthewind View Post
    Somewhere between silly and awesome depending on how busy the range is.

in case your curious..

No that's all awesome no matter how bust the range is. :) I like the camo, looks sharp.

afartinthewind
    Thanks man. Keep in mind it's not like I'm out 600 bucks, it was only 40 out of pocket. Had I paid full price I'd absolutely agree that it's ridiculous on my stock axis, I'm sure it will seem a bit less silly on the axis once I get a new wooden stock (fingers crossed) and barrel like Wolf's sexy little rifle.

Nandy
    I dont understand the mind frame here that if it is not an expensive rifle it dont deserve to have a decent or great scope. As long as the gun/scope are matching the user needs you get the best glass you can afford.

Basic Member
    I think what he was getting at is the fact that the scope exceeds the capabilities of the rifle. Although it will put rounds on target the scope would be more useful on a rifle with more capability. I did the math on my build and I'm at the $1300 dollar mark on it. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have the rest of the parts I have ordered and be able to custom fit it to myself aswell.

Anyways, it's one of those things that you can do it and it will definitely work, but is it a little over kill at the moment. Nothing "wrong" with it, just something most would do naturally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast