Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens 200?? Not sure

concepthomes1

Stevens 200?? Not sure

My father-in-law gave me his old Stevens rifle in .308 a few days ago. The barrel only reads "Stevens". I'm not sure if this is a 200; how can I tell? Also, I'm looking for tips on how to re-finish the metal. Basically, I'm looking for the most efficient way to achieve a flat black look. Also, will the bolt handles for the Savage 110 fit this one?
    Last edited by concepthomes1; 07-17-2013 at 09:18 PM.

JCalhoun
    Can you post a picture?

concepthomes1
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Can you post a picture?
    I have a few but can't post pics until I become a paid member. Planning on that by Friday.

Sent from my over-rated Motorola cell phone with a poorly serviced AT&T plan.

I've never seen a Stevens bolt action that wasn't a 200
    I think that's the only model they make
    may be a Stevens barrel on a Savage though.....

krylon comes in flat black

finish -blue the metal 1st

110 bolt handles will fit

welcome to SS
    Last edited by Willoughby; 07-17-2013 at 07:02 PM.

concepthomes1
    The gun has been in its current configuration since the mid 1980's. The barrel is stamped Stevens then it says Series K just above the caliber .308 WIN

Sent from my over-rated Motorola cell phone with a poorly serviced AT&T plan.

stangfish
    There are no restrictions for you to post pictures. Send the photos to me and I will post them.
    Is it a bolt gun?

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by concepthomes1 View Post
    I have a few but can't post pics until I become a paid member. Planning on that by Friday.
    Read this, then try to post your own pictures. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...man-can-do-it!

concepthomes1
    Pic up. I can read Series K, but not much else
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by concepthomes1; 07-17-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Basic Member
    Maybe try posting a pic of the entire gun, could help.

concepthomes1
    Full gun pic up

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Mach2
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...c..11.youtube.

Pic up. I can read Series K, but not much else
    [IMG][/IMG]

You have a mod 200 with a wood monte carlo stock. That's better than a new mod 200. Check youtube for instructions on bluing.
    Last edited by Mach2; 07-18-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Read this, then try to post your own pictures. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...man-can-do-it!
    I am living proof to that,LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    That is not a Steven 200. It is a Stevens 110 series K made in the 80's. I'll bet it has a E prefix on the serial#. I can tell the age by the bolt handle and bas.
    For all practical purposes, it is a long action stagger feed, same as a lot of Stevens 200's. Stevens 200 never came with a wood stock.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

concepthomes1
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That is not a Steven 200. It is a Stevens 110 series K made in the 80's. I'll bet it has a E prefix on the serial#. I can tell the age by the bolt handle and bas.
    For all practical purposes, it is a long action stagger feed, same as a lot of Stevens 200's. Stevens 200 never came with a wood stock.

So its a long action even thought its a .308 caliber?

It does have the E prefix on the model #

Basic Member
    The only way to be sure is measure the action screw spacing. It's either 4.522" (first generation short action) or 5.062" ,depending on when it was made.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Mach2
    How's the trigger? Was it ever worked on? I'd be curious what the pull is from an 80s Stevens. Whuts the barrel length?
    I took my Stevens 200 in .270 and put a monte carlo wood stock on it with riflebasix trigger. Shes pretty.
    Thanks for the thread. Id never seen the older Stevens before. If you get a chance I hope youll post some closeups.
    Looks like the iron sighted Savage Hog Hunter.

concepthomes1

Stock Pics

concepthomes1

Action Pics

concepthomes1

Trigger Pics

concepthomes1

Barrel Crown

concepthomes1
    Barrel length is 22". Action screw spacing is 4.5" so Short Action. Trigger has never been worked on to my knowledge and it doesn't appear to have been. Not sure of poundage on trigger break but it is extremely smooth and has ZERO creep. I just apply some light pressure and it breaks clean.
    Last edited by concepthomes1; 07-20-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Mach2
    Thanks for the fototour. I suppose the most obvious difference in the 80s Stevens is the flat rear receiver top. There re some minor differences in the trigger spring mechanism. The wood stevens stock is a nice advantage of the older rifles. You can't just go out and buy that wood stock today. It makes your Stevens unique in a way.
    You may have a pre lawyer trigger since you have a nice low pull.
    One of my fav tools is a trigger gauge. I use it not just to set a low trigger pull but to set all my triggers at the same pull. Knowing the pull weight is like knowing the 1/4 mile time on a sports car.

Basic Member
    You have one of the nice old multi-screw triggers, which has quite a bit of adjustment capability for both trigger pull and sear adjustment (I think there is a discussion about this in the Tech section). An easy mod is to replace the "heavy" trigger spring with lighter wire; send my your info and I will send you a piece if you are interested.

Mach2
    Bump

If youre still there. Have you tested the rifle to see how it groups? I can see in the foto that the stock has no pillars. I was curious how well pre pillared wood stocks grouped. The pillar bedding was a simple but major advancement that most all manufacturers utilize now. Pillar bedding is so effective that it has basically rendered moot most bondo and epoxy bedding methods.

concepthomes1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Bump

If youre still there. Have you tested the rifle to see how it groups? I can see in the foto that the stock has no pillars. I was curious how well pre pillared wood stocks grouped. The pillar bedding was a simple but major advancement that most all manufacturers utilize now. Pillar bedding is so effective that it has basically rendered moot most bondo and epoxy bedding methods.
    Still here. I've got a few threads showing my progress. Next step is the Duracoat on the action and barrel. Also going to refinish the stock before reassemble. My plan is to have the rifle ready to shoot by Oct 1, then sight in for hunting season on Nov 15.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.