Thread: .260 or 6.5 Creedmore

.260 or 6.5 Creedmore

I can't decide between these 2 calibers for my hunting rig. Here are my requirements and what I hope to achieve, which would be the best caliber? I currently thinking of a 22" sporter prefit from criterion and a rollover thumbhole stock from stockade.

1. 7 lbs or less rifle
    2. 22" barrel
    3. Feed reliably from a mag box or dbm
    4. able to achieve 2900fps from 130 interbonds or scirocco's

The 260 has slightly more case capacity and therefore should be able to achieve slightly higher velocity. Since your using 130s feeding should not be an issue. I've never had a problem feeding or fitting the long 140s in a short action savage. I would really opt for an extra 2" of barrel length though to get the most I could out of the caliber. An extra 2" of sporter weight barrel will not be that much weight.

Either cartridge should work; Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass is more available than Rem 260, and way cheaper than Lapua 260; dies seem to be easier to find for 260 and it does have a smidge more case capacity.

With either cartridge, you're probably gonna have to lean on your loads to achieve 2900fps with 130s from a 22" barrel, unless you use RL17.

You might find that 2900fps with a 130gr bullet in a 22" barrel to be a challenge to achieve in either. Personally I would go with the Creedmoor but the 260 is a great choice also. I bought the Savage LWH in the 6.5CM and found it to be very accurate with the 140 Hornady factory ammunition. The only issue I had with the rifle was the 20" barrel...Savage should have settled on a 22" barrel IMO.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-11-65Creedmoor.htm
    http://gunsmagazine.com/a-rookie-goes-to-africa/

I would no doubt just buy the 6.5 light weight hunter if it had a 22" tube and just be done with it.

I would no doubt just buy the 6.5 light weight hunter if it had a 22" tube and just be done with it.
    Right On!

I like my LWH a lot and set it up for a switch barrel. Just put on a new 24" McGowen .243 stainless with a 1-8 Twist in a sporter contour. Going to start load development this week.

Well.....just buy the LWH in 260.....and then do a build of the Creedmore with a varmint weight barrel for those days when you just feel like shooting 'n shooting 'n shooting away!! Yes, it's two different rifles.....but hey....your gonna get there anyway. Who are you kidding?

Dave

+1

Dave has been known to have some good ideas.

I have a 16 in the creedmoor. Has a 22 in barrel and shoots 2930 ish. With 129 gr interbonds. Love the gun and caliber. All my buddy's either have gotten one or want to get one. It shoots .2 to .3 at 100 yds with the ib's and rl17. Kills the crap out of what ever we shoot too.

6.5 Creedmoor is an all around badass, buddy of mine shot a big hog at 825yds last month with the 129 IB's. granted not a sporter barrel factory gun, but you get the idea of its capabilities.

Thinking further on this idea, I have a WFT case trimmer for my .308 which will also work for the .260 and makes trimming a breeze. I'm looking at the cheap modle 11 th xp .260. Will I have a problem with the 130 Berger's feeding through the internal box magazine while still reaching the lands.