Thread: Savage Model 19NRA

Falconer

Savage Model 19NRA

I just found a Savage 19NRA .22. I love it! It's the only model I'm aware of wherein the barrel and receiver are machined out of the same piece of steel. Mine doesn't have the stock that Yahoo images have shown me others do. It does not the mannlicher style stock and the one it has has no barrel band at the forend. Also it has a curved magazine. Does this sound like a parts gun or is it a different configuration of the model 19nra?

A picture or two would help.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I think you've got either a model 1922 or a model 1933.
    Savage- "never say never".

Falconer
    If it is a model 22 or 33 it was mis-labeled by Savage because it says plainly on the barrel model 19 NRA. I suspect that it is a parts gun made up of model 23 parts with a 19 NRA barrel/action. I don't have a working camera at the moment or I'd send a couple of photos.

I could see that happening at the factory rather than someone using parts guns.

It's proven that Savage used model 99G barrels on the model 1920's as well, they weren't real picky about mismatching parts back in the day if they had them over stocked. Same happens with a lot of the extra sights back then as well, if they ran out of one they would just grab a handful of rear sights from another model and start pounding them onto different models.
    Savage- "never say never".

There's no such thing as a Model 1933. The original Model 19 NRA was upgraded in 1933 to match the current trends in competition/target shooting which the rifle was geared towards. It was officially called The new Model 19 N.R.A. .22-caliber target rifle 1933 design." They were still stamped Model 19, and while many will refer to it as either the Model 19-33 or the Model 1933, it was officially still the Model 19.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Falconer
    This has actually been very helpful! I think, MrFurious, you are onto the truth. A little more research has yielded a couple of similar examples. Thanks Guys!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    There's no such thing as a Model 1933. The original Model 19 NRA was upgraded in 1933 to match the current trends in competition/target shooting which the rifle was geared towards. It was officially called The new Model 19 N.R.A. .22-caliber target rifle 1933 design." They were still stamped Model 19, and while many will refer to it as either the Model 19-33 or the Model 1933, it was officially still the Model 19.
    I agree that the merchandise catalogs never used any name other than the ones you mention but the Savage Arms parts catalogs did use another name. The 1934 parts catalog is the first that it is in and it is called the "Model 19-33"; this is what it is called in all parts catalogs. In the parts catalog issued Nov 1, 1951and all following catalogs that have it listed the index has "Model 23AA and 19-33" and on the parts page it has "Savage Sporter Model 19-33".