Thread: bedding

Basic Member

bedding

I picked up a boyd walnut stock for a 7mag and want to bed it. Do i need to sand down the bedding area and remove some material from behind the recoil lug to make room for the bedding first?

I bedded my other gun but it had previously been Done once. Araglass gel worked great and i will use that again. Not pillar bedding.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    Do i(sic) need to sand down the bedding area...?
    That would help. You want the bedding material to adhere well to the wood. At a minimum you should clean it with denatured alcohol or some other solvent. Sanding is good to rough up the surface and some folks take a dremel or drill and make holes or grooves in the surface to get a physical lock with the bedding material.

Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    Do i(sic) need to ...remove some material from behind the recoil lug to make room for the bedding first?
    My opinion is that this is a matter of choice. Bedding material does not need to take up a lot of room or be very thick to be effective, it is supposed to allow full contact with all the load bearing surfaces of the rifle so that the load can be evenly transferred to the stock. If there is already a little space for the bedding material, it will likely be sufficient, but if you want to remove some material, it won't hurt things. If the recoil lug fit is already very tight, I would take out a bit of material with a dremel tool or something similar. If you don't have a dremel, you can use a small wood chisel, but make sure it is as sharp as you can make it and go very slowly and carefully.

Pillar bedding is not really that hard, I would reconsider if I were you. The pillars allow you to consistently torque the action to the bedded stock and not have the wood of the stock compress under the pressure. I use lamp rod cut to length and do it all in one step similar to the link below. For me, it is not very difficult. (I don't fabricate a separate escutcheon, however)

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html
    Last edited by thomae; 07-23-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Fixed bad link, thanks DaveMuzz for pointing it out.

tinkerer
    Step 1. View tutorial at link above. Use pillars, its easier.

Step 2. Use Devcon 10110 per the video.

Step 3. Prep, prep, prep. Once you start, you're in.

Its actually pretty easy, IF you follow instructions.

Larry
    Tinkerer

davemuzz
    For whatever reason I could not get the above link to work. So....try this link if his doesn't. http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html