Thread: Boyds Classic or Prairie Hunter for hunter build?

Basic Member

Boyds Classic or Prairie Hunter for hunter build?

Looking at using either a Prairie Hunter or Classic stock on a hunter build. Rifle will be primarily for deer sized game out to 500 yards, will also be shot off the bench quite a bit.

It seems like the main differences between the two stocks are the comb and amount of cheek swell.

Looking to use a scope with a 50mm objective, so that may be a factor.

Also interested in how either style will react under recoil, will one transmit more than the other, or will one be easier to get back on target, be "straighter" than the other?

Obviously every shooter and shooting style are different but if you had to pick one of these stocks for yourself, to use on a rifle that you shoot off the bench, off bags, off a bipod, prone, improvised field shooting etc, which would it be and why?

Basic Member
    Maybe I should have put this in the Aftermarket Stock section?

Basic Member
    if you go with the thumbhole version then you will have less felt recoil. I have noticed this but I still prefer the "classic". never tried the "prairie hunter" so I can't speak about it.

thomae
    Unfortunately, it is a personal thing. What is your preferred head position/cheek weld? Are you using a relatively low base (similar to a Weaver one or two piece base) or a higher base (like an EGW rail) How high are your rings? The Prairie Hunter's Monte Carlo cheekpiece brings your eyes up higher than the Classic. The problem is that what works for me and the way I hold my rifle, may not work for you.

I'd take an educated guess by testing with a rifle you already have. Mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed and then open your eyes and look through the scope. Figure out if you are low, high, or spot on when it comes to eye/scope alignment.

Then measure from the top of the action to the Centerline of the scope. Take an educated guess as to how high your new scope's centerline will be, and whether or not you need to have a higher or lower cheek weld than on your test rifle.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies- I'll definitely look at your suggestions thomae.

thomae
    Personally I own one Boyd's Thumbhole Stock and really like it. I also own a Savage American stock with the MC cheekpiece (Which I believe is actually a Boyd's Prairie Hunter) that I bought from Numrich's because I really like the way it looks. I'll be using it for a 458 Mag build. (I hope it fits me and whatever scope or sights I use.)

acnewman55
    mattri, did you ever decide on a boyds stock? if so, would like to know which one you went with and whether or not you are happy with it.

thanks!

I have a "classic" on my 243 and really like it. My scope is mounted on an EGW base with low rings and is a 3X12X40.

acnewman55
    Thanks, I like a high cheek piece so I'm leaning towards the Prairie Hunter which seems pretty similar with the addition of the cheek.

Which rifle did you put the stock on?

Basic Member

I went with the Prairie Hunter and couldn't be happier. The stock shoulders and carries well, it is comfortable from a rest as well.

I pillar bedded it and it's stable and solid even off a bipod.

The pic above shows my all-around set-up, 200 long action, CBI 7mm-08 cut down and re-crowned @ 24", Vortex 2.5-10, RB trigger. The pic shows an oversized bolt handle that I tried out but have since gone back to the stock one.

acnewman55
    That's a nice looking stock. I'm getting a lot of feedback in support of the thumbhole but I think I'll go with the Prairie Hunter.

campdude
    Was it drop in or did it take some work to fit it?

Looks nice

acnewman55
    Also, where did you source the pillars for the pillar bedding?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Thanks, again I'm really happy with it. The barreled action dropped in fine. I relieved a little of the barrel channel just because i like a healthy amount of free float. For pillars I used lamp rod and JB weld for compound, holds up great.

romad97
    I like that. I wish they made that prarie hunter stock in a varmint chanel DBM option.

eriksig90
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post

I went with the Prairie Hunter and couldn't be happier. The stock shoulders and carries well, it is comfortable from a rest as well.

I pillar bedded it and it's stable and solid even off a bipod.

The pic above shows my all-around set-up, 200 long action, CBI 7mm-08 cut down and re-crowned @ 24", Vortex 2.5-10, RB trigger. The pic shows an oversized bolt handle that I tried out but have since gone back to the stock one.
    Looks great is that the nutmeg or walnut?

Basic Member
    Thanks! It actually looks a lot better now that it has the factory bolt handle back on it. It is the nutmeg finish. As an all-around stock I think it works great- it's a good shooter off the bench and very quick and comfortable in the field. I'd recommend one to a buddy and may even buy another sometime.