Thread: Pillar for bedding job

Nandy

Pillar for bedding job

I will be doing a bedding job on a varmint thumbhole 110 blind magazine staggered feed and a varmint thumbhole 11 blind magazine center feed (for hunter xp SA 11, bottom bolt release) both from boyds. I know some use hardware from a hardware store to make the pillars and some buy pillars that are made specifically for these savage rifles. So where can I find these already made pillars for these rifles or is it better to just make them with the hardware store hardware? I have never pillar bedded a stock, just the action. Any info or advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

A couple of different ways to do it yourself. I have seen it done with threaded lamp tubing epoxied into place but it took a lot of hand filing to get the contour right and galvanized tubing is subject to corrosion, I've also seen the screw holes drilled out oversized on a wood stock all the way through and filled to make epoxy pillars, which are poured as part of the epoxy bedding with an escutcheon on the bottom. This keeps the stock screws from pulling through if overtightened on a wood stock.
    I found this while googling to try and find out how to spell "Escutcheon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HFz1Qe20w
    I'll bet Uncle Larry over at Midway or Brownells would have just what you need
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

An aluminum arrow shaft works amazingly well. Use a small pipe cutter and cut to length then a fine file to get just right. Drill a 3/8" hole in your stock for both action screws and epoxy in place with the rest of the bedding.

masterblaster
    I will be using the LRI kit for my winny model70's. Look at the bottom of the page in the link.

http://www.longriflesinc.com/products.html

Nandy
    Thanks masterblaster. The only problem I see with that set of pillars is that one will have to be cut for sear clearance but they do look nice.

masterblaster
    Give them a call and see, good people up there, building a custom 700 for me right now.

Team Savage
    Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=nl706f you will find about anything you could want. Shipping is reasonable and FAST. I use my drill press as a lathe to face to length and file some ridges to hold the epoxy. I cut the relief for the sear after installing the pillar.

Bill

Nandy
    That is a good idea bsekf. The local hardware store has a good selection of those.
    Has anyone tried Stoky's pillars in this stock?
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-Pillar/Detail

I would think they are too short, at least the front one.
    Thanks everyone!

tinkerer
    1/2" diameter front pillar and 3/8" rear. I buy them off the dreaded fleabay. Follow tutorial for the easy way. Use Devcon 10110 steel filled epoxy.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Nandy
    I will have to double check on that stock. I think if I do the 1/2" hole I will hit the reinforcement steel.