Thread: Bottom Bolt Release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Neeltburn

Bottom Bolt Release

Whats everyone's thoughts about actions with the bottom bolt release? How long before the aftermarket picks up stocks/chassis for it?

stangfish
    Savage has made things difficult for the manufacturers. AXIS, 10/110, Stagger feed/Center feed, Side release/ Bottom release, Blind/ DB mag's. You may want to look into scope eyes workaround and see if that works for you.

Team Savage
    The newer center feed Savage SA/LA with the front bolt release trigger guard and metal DBM/HFP assembly or composite DBM assembly will fit an older Savage side bolt release CF stock with the DBM/HFP cut-out or an aftermarket stock that has the CF DBM cutout. The stock inletting dimensions for the cut-out have not changed. You may have to do a little dremel work inside the stock trigger guard inlet to keep the the sear arm from rubbing/binding on the sides of the TG inlet. I have put a Savage 11 SA wth TGBR and either the older metal DBM assembly and the newer composite DBM assembly in older Savage side bolt release CF stocks. It is basically a drop in fit. Of course you do have a gap between the stock and action where the side bolt release once existed.

Boyd's Gunstocks now offers a Savage SA and LA CF stock with the DBM cut-out in 3 styles. Although I haven't seen one up close. I bet with only minor dremel work these stocks will work with the newer trigger guard bolt release and metal or composite DBM assembly.

In summary, the newer Savage CF actions with TGBR will work in a Savage CF SBR stock or aftermarket stock with SBR and DBM/HFP cut-out. That being said, the new TGBR is a PITA design. So I am going to try "scope eyes" workaround and hope I get lucky and don't break a new sear.

I wonder how many members would be willing to buy an aftermarket sear (already bent) to convert their TGBR actions back to a side release? I know, just wishful thinking.

stangfish
    Somebody may already be working on it as they quickly sold out from Numrich. Nandy, did you do that?

Nandy
    Stangfish, shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    To the op, it is a matter of supply and demand... I am sure they will eventually catch up as we will eventually see an Axis stock. I just wish savage keep it simple. Im not sure what the did accomplished by moving the bolt release to the bottom and add yet another variant to the stock game...

Anyone who would even think of offering a modified sear, needs to have there head examined, the amount of liability you would be subject to, I can't even begin to conceive.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Nandy
    as much liability as the person that offered the idea of using a sear in a gun that it was not manufactured for!!! lol!!!

You should know I am teasing...

Neeltburn
    I didnt mean to start a war here, just looking a some builds I would rather do from actions that would be purchased from Jim @ NSS if he still has actions or would get them. Build to include a .260 and .338 LM. The .338 LM is not a problem as Kyle at XLR Industries has a Chassis that will work for that build. The 260 is the one Im in limbo with as Im not sure I want a heavy Chassis for a comp. gun. I really dont want to go Rem. 700 action as rebarelling would be a PIA as my smith moved and it involves mailing a rifle ( talk about not sleeping at night) so if I can build off a savage action I can send barrels etc and sleep better at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeltburn View Post
    I didnt mean to start a war here, just looking a some builds I would rather do from actions that would be purchased from Jim @ NSS if he still has actions or would get them. Build to include a .260 and .338 LM. The .338 LM is not a problem as Kyle at XLR Industries has a Chassis that will work for that build. The 260 is the one Im in limbo with as Im not sure I want a heavy Chassis for a comp. gun. I really dont want to go Rem. 700 action as rebarelling would be a PIA as my smith moved and it involves mailing a rifle ( talk about not sleeping at night) so if I can build off a savage action I can send barrels etc and sleep better at night.
    Don't worry about it, apparently it's always open season on Scope eye, it must be my charming demeanor that brings it out in forum members. LOL

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Nandy
    Nah, just us pushing each other buttons but in a friendly way. You can bypass the bottom release bolt by getting the regular trigger guard and a sear like in scope eye post. Or if you dont want to go the sear changeout way you can use a dremel (or so I have been told) to make clearance for the trigger with the bolt release. Ultimately, you can scrap the bolt release all together and just install a regular trigger guard, keep your sear as it is and you would have to remove the stock to get the bolt out.... I am sure the stock builders will catchup but there is no telling when.....

stangfish
    .....And your affinity for shiny objects.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    .....And your affinity for shiny objects.
    Hence we have exhibit A.

Spanky

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeltburn View Post
    Whats everyone's thoughts about actions with the bottom bolt release? How long before the aftermarket picks up stocks/chassis for it?
    Its been discussed a few times that I know of on here but my $.02 is I think Savage will slowly go more and more to the bottom bolt release on all/ most models. I hope they do at least as it will give the aftermarket a chance to catch up so to speak.

But Savage isn't going to do it just to make the aftermarket happy. They want to sell you a whole riffle.

Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    Its been discussed a few times that I know of on here but my $.02 is I think Savage will slowly go more and more to the bottom bolt release on all/ most models. I hope they do at least as it will give the aftermarket a chance to catch up so to speak.

But Savage isn't going to do it just to make the aftermarket happy. They want to sell you a whole riffle.
    I concur wholeheartedly with that observation.

Dean

You guys still haven't caught on yet.....Savage is a bunch of tight-wads and when they make changes to something they're going to use up EVERY LAST ONE of the old parts in some way, shape or form.

Why do you think it took three years for all of the Savage models to be converted over to the centerfeed system? It was because they had a crap-ton of staggered-feed boxes, followers and stocks that they wanted to use up. Why do you think Savage didn't put the AccuTrigger on the package rifles for so long? It wasn't to keep the cost down, it was to use up surplus parts. Why do you think there suddenly emerged a line of Stevens rimfire rifles a couple years ago? Because they had a bunch of non-AccuTrigger surplus parts to use up.

Anyone remember the Model 14W's? These were a non-cataloged run offered in standard calibers (223, 22-250, 243, 308, 7mm-08) with a sporter barrel and Turkish Walnut stock. The odd thing was that they were all large shanks and all the serial numbers started with an "M". Those who have a 10ML-II know that Savage used "M" as the letter prefix on the muzzleloaders to differentiate them, so it doesn't take to much brain power to realize that the 14W's were Savage's way of using up the 10ML actions that were leftover when Savage made the design change that resulted in the 10ML-II. They simply machined the magazine feed port into the bottom and built them into centerfire rifles. Again - nothing goes to waste at Savage.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

stangfish
    Why do you always bust in and destroy our fantasy world?

Neeltburn
    So basically my observation or feeling that sooner or later it will just be another option with the stock makers. I guess that just means I need to do the 338 LM first... (heart breaking isnt it) I could also look for a used action for the 260 Rem build. any concern there?

stangfish
    Maybe so