Thread: Vortex Diamondback 4-12 BDC vs???

Basic Member

Vortex Diamondback 4-12 BDC vs???

Looking for a scope for a hunting rifle. Most shots will be within 300 yards on deer sized game, would take a perfect shot at 500.

Rifle is a 7mm-08 built on a 200 platform with a CBI 26" barrel in a slightly modified and bedded factory stock. It shoots about 1/2 MOA to 600 with multiple shooters on multiple days. It had been wearing a 6-24 Sightron which was a fantastic scope- just not an exact fit for this application.

Looking for a non A/O scope, preferably with a reticle similar to the Vortex Dead Hold BDC where you have hold offs but the reticle isn't too busy. Have used the Nikon BDC and it's ok but like that the Vortex is hash marks instead of circles or mil-dots.

Not shooting super long range so don't need a ton of magnification, a 4-12 or 3-9 will be plenty.

Would love to have a 50mm objective but don't see a ton of options.

As far as price goes I'd really like to keep it under $300, can go higher for the perfect scope but so far this seems to fit the bill fairly well:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/143...cm_vc=wishList

Interested in other options. Thanks, Matt.

stangfish
    IF your not happy I will buy it from you. As long as you don't gorilla the rings.

Basic Member
    I'll check it out.

Basic Member
    I paid a little more for my 6.5-20PA. But I love the zero stop for wind and elevation. The parallax is nice but not necessary. Oh, and the knobs are hard clicks.

Worth every penny.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. Personally for a hunting scope I prefer not to have the parallax adjustments or a mildot, that's a lot of what drew me to the Vortex. Leupold and Sightron make similar scopes, I like the hash marks on the Vortex reticle over the dots on the Leupold.

Just found a Vortex 3.5-10x50 with the Dead Hold BDC, think that may be the ticket. Anyone have any experience with these scopes?
    Last edited by mattri; 07-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Check out a Burris E1.
    I bought a couple of these in 3-9x50 last Christmas and they have been fantastic. (there was a $50 rebate at the time) The hunter style finger adjustable turrets are resettable to zero with excellent repeatable tracking per several box tests I ran. The glass is unbelievable with fully multicoated indexed matched lenses (something you wont find on a Leupy until you hit the VX3 class) and etched crosshairs (2nd FP). The E1 reticule has BDC (ballistic plex) style marks for both windage and elevation. They also have the forever warranty. Since buying a couple back in December and just ordering another one of these in 3-9x40s I forgot everything I ever believed about good optics having to cost a fortune. I have compared them side by side to several scopes known for excellent quality that I spent much more on and they stack up very favorably.
    The only thing I think I might do differently next time would be to consider a lighted reticule because the glass is so good at seeing through very low light that it makes the reticule hard to pick up even though you can still see potential targets even after legal hunting hours.
    Dicks sporting goods has the 3-9x40 on sale with free shipping right now (they had an additional $20 off prior to independence day, this was less than distributor cost Edit: OOOPs looks like the Dicks link is dead. They must have sold out) http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...414427.4414460
    and Big Supply Shop has some great prices on them with other features like this one http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Burris-...2_p_22235.html
    I have a couple of Vortex Diamondbacks in 3-9x40 and they are Ok for a budget scope, but in my opinion the new Burris offerings blow em right off the map. In your budget I don't think you'll find a better optic period.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 07-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the heads up, have never owned a Burris will have to check them out.

Basic Member
    I have a burris signature 6x24x44 with a mildot reticule... If your interested. Right around your budget.

thomae
    Please reread this: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...User-Agreement

Engaging in any type of buying/selling outside of the classifieds is strictly prohibited.

Classifieds are offered as a perk to our Paid Members

Basic Member
    Oh, please disregard my offer then. :)

stangfish
    Thomae is right but there is nothing to stop you from PM'ing the guy. It is not like the OP was working around the classified's. And he is a paid member. Over the coarse of the thread there was an indication of a purchase being needed, and you thought you could help the guy out. It happens. You should join anyway. you probably got 15 dollars worth of time here.