Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convert Your Bottom Bolt Release To A Top Release

Cool Convert Your Bottom Bolt Release To A Top Release

Hey Savage Shooters, I just converted my bottom bolt release "trigger guard model" to a top bolt release, with no drilling grinding jury rigging none of that, all I did was change the trigger sear to the top style "it is part of the sear" get this for the grand sum of $12.55, I got it from Numrich I used part # 139590C, there are prefixes all the way though K, I don't know what differences are so, I just went with a model 10 part number.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Nice!!! Did you just have to relieve out the stock some? How did it fit on the side of the receiver since the top bolt ones have the flat spot and my bottom bolt does not have the flat spot.

All I had to do is bend the release tab ever so slightly, "I mean a really minimal amount", just enough for it not to rub against they action,
    the stock I am using is a Boyds thumbhole, so nothing had to be done to the stock,

Dean

PS: I am sure if you have a bottom release stock, a little love from a dremel will do the trick.
    Last edited by scope eye; 07-10-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spellink
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I think this is a great news, since it now opens the doors to a lot more choices, for stocks and accessory's.

Dean

stangfish
    I think this is a great news

Last edited by stangfish; 07-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks Fish for having a serial no as a backup plan, in case this didn't work out.
    Dean

[/QUOTE]

stangfish
    One of my projects was to work on a left side release. Now I know with just a little dremel work it will be no problem.

Nandy
    Awesome! I thank you as a "in a couple of weeks" new owner to a bottom release hunter xp. I had order the centerfeed stock from boyds and would have been doing the dremel to make it work but now I just have to order the regular trigger guard and do this mod...
    Thanks!!!!

You see there is more to me than just, "Scope eye and his friggin outrageous speed obsession" LOL

Spanky

Nandy
    This should become a sticky....

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    Yes that would be nice since it will cut down on the PMs, asking for the part number, among other things.

Dean

stangfish
    OH no you didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    OH no you didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL! Stang, you need to shake your head side to side and swing your right arm/hand as if you are doing just one wave goodbye!

stangfish
    I'm just sayin". How many stickies do you see on this site?

Basic Member
    This changes my stock choice up some, up till recently the choate was the only lefty centerfeed factory dbm bottom release you could get without going mcmillian or whidden customs.

Basic Member
    Bending the sear usually results in breaking it.....you must have been lucky.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Yeah I broke mine trying to bend the release tab a little. You can also get sears from Brownells. Keep in mind that the trigger pull may not be the same after you put the new sear in. Mine wouldn't adjust light enough and had terrible creep. A Rifle Basix trigger took care of that problem though. I'll have to look again but I think my 116 that has the bottom trigger guard release has the small gap in the stock still so might not have to be relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    You can also get sears from Brownells.
    Found them.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 07-11-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spellink

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    All I had to do is bend the release tab ever so slightly, "I mean a really minimal amount", just enough for it not to rub against they action.
    You got real lucky, these sears are very hard, and are know to break when the ever so slight amount of bending is put on them.

One could clearance the side of they action, like I said it is a very minimal amount, less than 100 thou deep, and not even the whole side of they action just where the release rubs 1/2 inch travel at best, and anyway for 9 bucks each at Brownells, I would get a couple of spares in case one does break, because one thing is for sure, this was my first conversion but it's not going to be my last, I am sure there are many more to come.

Dean

Nandy
    I have and oxygen acetylene torch and wonder if I use that just on the tab it will not affect the sear hardened part that contact the trigger ...

I have and oxygen acetylene torch and wonder if I use that just on the tab it will not affect the sear hardened part that contact the trigger ...
    I was thinking more propane or map type gases

Dean

brasse
    Photos? Photos? Pleeeeeaaaasssseee

Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Photos? Photos? Pleeeeeaaaasssseee
    I don't exactly know what you want to see, all you do is pull the pin where the sear rides on, and replace it with the new one, and then put the pin back no tools necessary, easy peasy.

Dean

Nandy
    I doubt propane will do it, not sure Map will do it and I would worry about heat transfer do to the time you will have to heat the sear up. I think oxy/aceti will do better as using a #1 or #2 tip you can direct the heat better. I have all 3 but I think I will start with oxy/aceti.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast