SSS Fluted bolt body
    209 bolt head
    Rifle basix trigger
    Mscott bolt handle
    NSS recoil lug
    NSS precision barrel nut
    Talley lightweight rings
    Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Action and all the other parts that are black are cerama coated by me.

Still in the learning phase with all things smokeless but it is showing promise at the range.

hcpyro13
    You have my attention. I have been thinking about doing this for awhile, where did you get the barrel and bolt face from if I may ask?

Basic Member
    I'm in the beginning stages of building one myself, did you get your stuff from Luke? Nice looking gun keep us informed on how it shoots. What powder/bullet you going to try to use?

Quote Originally Posted by EdKin View Post
    I'm in the beginning stages of building one myself, did you get your stuff from Luke? Nice looking gun keep us informed on how it shoots. What powder/bullet you going to try to use?
    Yes sir, luke's great to deal with. I am working up loads right now shooting Barnes 250 tez's sabotless. For powders I'm testing strait loads of H4198 and duplex loads using SR4759 and h4198. Lots of testing to be done!!!

Basic Member
    I agree about Luke great guy. I stumbled across some H4198 when I was kicking the idea around and luckly thought ahead and bought some. Good luck on the load testing keep us informed how it goes.

wow! i just stumbled across this. i need some details! where to get the barrel? breech plug and bolt head?
    how much for each? what would a conversion set me back?

sinman
    I will have to post some pics of a Savage MZ that I built for a customer using a Brux barrel. shoots 3/4" groups with everything and it's favorite bullet under 1/2"

JCalhoun
    Sweet!

goinssr
    Who is Luke? I never thought to build a muzzleloader. My attention has been had! Need more info...

I am having a blast (pun intended) with this thing!!!! I forgot to take pics of the targets from the last few range trips but they are as good and slightly better than the group on the left from the target from over a month ago. I am going out again this weekend for the last time before deer hunting to finalize things and will post more target pics.

JoeH and goinssr I will send you a PM...I don't want to step on any toes about advertising non sponsers.

Basic Member
    What brand sabot and what diameter bullets do you use, .410 pistol bullets for the 41 rem mag ?
    Thanks
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymaster View Post
    What brand sabot and what diameter bullets do you use, .410 pistol bullets for the 41 rem mag ?
    Thanks
    I am using .45 cal bullets sabotless (250 grain barnes TEZ). Barnes also makes a .400 190 grain mz muzzleloader bullet if you wish to shoots sabots.

Thought I would also post my progress at the range. Love this gun!!!!!

This was Friday at 100 yards trying to finalize a hunting load to stick with for the season. (I'm sticking with the load on the far right)

And this is from yesterday when I stretched it out to 200 yards to see how it would do. The first shot is the low one then I adjusted the scope and shot a 3 shot group!

Team Savage
    Doug's Message Board is the place to go if you want to learn about building a muzzleloader on a Savage or Remington action. You can find information on where to get PreFit barrels, breech plugs and bolt heads. Their current passion is building and shooting .45 sabotless bullets with smokeless powders.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Doug's Message Board is the place to go if you want to learn about building a muzzleloader on a Savage or Remington action. You can find information on where to get PreFit barrels, breech plugs and bolt heads. Their current passion is building and shooting .45 sabotless bullets with smokeless powders.
    Yep great group of guys over there. I asked a lot of questions there and always had someone willing to help.

Basic Member
    I just got the email for Luke this week that my barrel is in and I should have it the middle of this week. :) Now the fun can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by EdKin View Post
    I just got the email for Luke this week that my barrel is in and I should have it the middle of this week. :) Now the fun can begin.
    Got your barrel on yet?

Basic Member
    not yet been spending too much time in the woods. I might have time tomorrow.

Just curious, where are you guys finding your 209 bolt heads?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    I have built three Smokeless so far Two in the last month for guys. The first guy was my own at I have hit 12" steel out to 700yds with it and just missing the 1000yd steel in wind.
    The second one the guy sighted in at 100yds in 5 shoots and then went on with first shot hits at 200,300,and 400 and second round hit at 500 the wind got him at 500.
    This is a load of 70 Grains of H-4198 with a wonderwad and 275 grain High BC Parker 275 Match/Hunter at around 2700ft/sec.

Basic Member
    Ok, I'm curious what is a smokeless muzzle loader, I'm kinda envisioning the appropriate sized sabot placed in the chamber, some pyrodex behind it, a 209 primer in the bolt face and bang! Would this count as a muzzle loader for areas that require it or have extra seasons for it?

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Ok, I'm curious what is a smokeless muzzle loader, I'm kinda envisioning the appropriate sized sabot placed in the chamber, some pyrodex behind it, a 209 primer in the bolt face and bang! Would this count as a muzzle loader for areas that require it or have extra seasons for it?
    It's the same as any modern inline black powder (Pyrodex) muzzleloader only it's specifically designed (and proof tested) for using smokeless powder rather than that dirty stuff. Same exact setup as a Savage 10ML-II, they're just using an aftermarket bolt head, barrel and breech plug to convert a standard Model 10/11/12/14/16 into a muzzleloader.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    The Savage 10ML and 10ML-II were the first .50 caliber muzzleloaders developed with the strength to use certain higher pressure smokeless rifle powders instead of black powder substitutes like pyrodex. With the right smokeless powder, high BC bullets and sabot combination they are accurate and deadly at extended ranges when compared to black powder rifles. They also do not require frequent cleaning as with black powder. They are legal to use in most states during ML seasons or as a shotgun/slug substitute in shotgun only states. Go to www.randywakeman.com to learn more.

Some folks are building ML's on Savage/Remington actions using aftermarket 209 bolt heads, breech plugs and custom Pre-Fit ML barrels to develop "wildcat" ML loads at their own risk.

Basic Member
    A smokeless muzzleloader that has a custom barrel is almost always more accurate than a off the shelf store bought guns. With the Smokeless guns you can shoot BP alternatives also with the same accuracy.

03mossy,
    i am about to pull the trigger and put a .45 mc gowan on my savage ml2. i am curious about how you are resizing your bullets. i have seen resizers that are smooth and some that replicate the barrels rifling. which are you using and do you like the one you are using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast