Thread: 6mmPPC query

Basic Member

6mmPPC query

Guys,
    I'm based in Australia which means sourcing a PPC bolt-head is a bit tough. Looking to build a single-shot for varminting and paper-punching only.

My gunsmith is competent and can open a 223Rem bolt face up, but I'm unsure what modifications if any are required to the extractor? No ejector will be fitted.

Anyone been there, done that?
    Cheers...
    Con

Basic Member
    Maybe a 6BR would work for you; it uses a standard bolt.

82boy
    If your smith opens up a 223 bolt head a standard extractor is all that is needed.

Sharp Shooters Supply use to make/sell a PPC extractor and to this day it causes a ton of confusion of what it was, and what its application was for. The PPC extractor was meant to be used with a .473 bolt head, with it longer design it would extract PPC cases on the larger than the PPC bolt head. This extractor was not designed for use with extraction problems associated with sloppy tolerances in the production bolt heads, or wild cat rounds that have issues. It was not to be used with an ejector.

Unless your doing a right bolt left port set up, I would recommend placing in an ejector. In paper punching sometimes speed is the ticket.

Basic Member
    Thanks 82boy,
    At the moment, I'm looking at testing a Green Mountain 6mm barrel, so the PPC as a recognised accuracy cartridge would be easiest ... plus I've never loaded for the PPC before. The ability to use a 223 sized extractor makes this a very achievable project. If I kept the 223Rem ejector in there, would it need modifying at all? I really only need this to be a single shot, so its no big deal either way with the ejector.
    Cheers...
    Con

82boy
    I am not totally sure, but I think you have to move the position of the ejector. (Not a big chore for a competed gunsmith.) I been contemplating trying a green mountain barrel, I was going to use one of there fast twist 22 blanks and build a 22/250 AI. The PPC is my all time favorite cartridges. There are many Aussies that are master tuners of the PPC, my suggestion is t find one of them, to help you get it dialed in. A PPC is the most accurate cartridge in the world, but following what is written in a load manual makes it hard to achieve this. Good luck Let me know if I can help
    Pat

Basic Member
    Pat,
    When Ruger ran their Ruger VT in 6mmPPC is apparently flopped as a marketing venture in the United States. The barrels were pulled, entire rifles brought over and excess barrels brought to Australia ... where they were gobbled up! Perfect cartridge for the rigours of roo culling for human consumption where head shots are mandated. Extreme accuracy and economical powder charges made it an instant hit.
    Cheers...
    Con

82boy
    There is a few of them old Ruger's out there in the US. I would say the reason why they flopped in the us, was due to them using a Sako, or PPC USA chambering, and the lack of available brass or ammo at the time.

Basic Member
    Interesting ... just checked my gunsmiths reamer list and he lists his reamer as '6mm PPC USA (no neck turn chamber)'. Our only source of readily available brass is Lapua.

Would there be an issue using the Lapua brass in this chamber? I'm not really interested in having to neck turn.
    Cheers...
    Con

82boy
    Well, the PPC USA has a larger bass diameter, than the most common PPC used. (JGS 1045) The difference is small. From what I understand most don't have a problem, but some do with Lapua brass in a PPC USA chamber. I would say it is more of a die issue than anything, if you have a die that fits the chamber I would think the brass would fill out, and be fine. Norma and Sako still makes PPC USA brass. I know that some of the PPC USA brass may or may not fit in some of the common ppc chambers.

Guys, by all means snag up a Green Mountain Barrel Blank. I have a Green Mountain that was built into my 6mm-WSM and it shoots. Mine is 28 1/2" 1-9" twist. I am still working up loads as no data is available, but my worst test load so far was putting five shots of 105s into .9" at 100yds and my best load shot its group of 5 into just under .4" with the 1st 3 shots going into .167". Barrel cleans easy and the smith that built it said he was impressed with the apparent quality of the blank. I still have to nail down a final load but even with these loads so far, this thing wants to shoot.

I went ahead and picked up another G.M. blank in .452" 1-16" for a 450 Bushmaster barrel. I probably better get that sent off to be built.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Did a double check today, we can source loaded ammunition and brass from Sako, plus the Lapua brass and some Norma brass. I think I'm satisfied enough to give this a go. I'd better talk with the gun plumber this week.
    Cheers...
    Con

82boy
    All I can say is a 6 PPC is a wonderful thing.