Thread: Shooting My 110 .223 LA First Time..and some questions

Shooting My 110 .223 LA First Time..and some questions

Hey All- shot my new-to-me 110 LA .223 today and am VERY happy so far! I have some scope mounting issues but I think I know how to correct them at this point.

Initial sight-in at 50 yds. produced repeatable 3 shot groups aprox. 1/4 x 1/4" .At 100 yards shooting regular 3 shot groups at 3/4 to 7/8" with an occasional flyer..the worst being 1 1/4" () This using Federal bulk pack ammo. 55Gr. FMJ. VERY hot Pa. day, sweat runnin', heart thumpin', smell 'o gunsmoke in the air...

Few minor problems; PLEASE HELP. Extraction is weak / wimpy. My research on this forum suggests going with a .140" detent ball. The thread I read member "Sharpshooter" offered the solution and at that time had some balls (I'm sure he still has balls ). But the thread is old. Anyway I could not find anywhere I might be able to purchase some? Anyone know? ALSO I thought I'd replace the spring while I was at it. Anyone have a source, part number orrr..?

Also- the plastic trigger guard is buldged and split I guess from previous owner trying to torque the mounting bolt. I saw in a thread that Brownells had 'em- but they seem to be out. Any suggestions for a supplier? Again it is a tupper-wared stock, long action .223, serial number F05xxx. I'm guessing early 90s? I'd like a matt one, but will not be opposed to a stainless.

Really excited about this gun. My buddy's gonna teach me how to reload for it and I'm anxious to see how it (and I) do.

Thanks so much guys and gals! I love this forum and SAVAGES!

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

thomae
    Do you mean Ejection is weak? You might have a buildup of schmutz in the ejector. Try spraying some break cleaner into the ejector and working it up and down to flush out the crud, or if you feel adventurous, disassemble it and clean it thoroughly before reassembly. If you find the spring kinked, then you should replace it.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a .140 ball. They are available for order through fastenal and other industrial supply places.

Midwayusa has trigger guards, you might want to look there.
    Also, for an extra $15/year you could become a paid member and have access to the forum classifieds. Used parts are available there if you have the patience to wait for your particular part.

Basic Member
    You can get the parts from Midway, brownells numerichs

I just looked and midway is out of stock on the trigger guard

I just remembered --Jim at Northaland shooter supply might have was you need also
    He is a vender on this site and a great guy to deal with, I would give him a call
    PM me your address and I will send you a .140 detent ball
    I hope this helps
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Do you mean Ejection is weak? You might have a buildup of schmutz in the ejector. Try spraying some break cleaner into the ejector and working it up and down to flush out the crud, or if you feel adventurous, disassemble it and clean it thoroughly before reassembly. If you find the spring kinked, then you should replace it.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a .140 ball. They are available for order through fastenal and other industrial supply places.

Midwayusa has trigger guards, you might want to look there.
    Also, for an extra $15/year you could become a paid member and have access to the forum classifieds. Used parts are available there if you have the patience to wait for your particular part.
    THANKS Tomae! I'll pm you my address- I live near Quakertown, Pa. Re: extraction / ejection problems; even working the bolt hard / fast, the empty just dribbles out- sometimes stays in the "race". When I first bought it-thorough cleaning the extractor came off while using a nylon toothbrush on it. BTW- it took over an HOUR to find that blasted ball and spring. LOL the spring was in my shirt pocket..

When I get paid next Friday I'm gonna join. Heck the info. and help I got so far is well worth the price of admission...

Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 07-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    You can get the parts from Midway, brownells numerichs

I just looked and midway is out of stock on the trigger guard

I just remembered --Jim at Northaland shooter supply might have was you need also
    He is a vender on this site and a great guy to deal with, I would give him a call
    I hope this helps
    Jack
    Thanks JW. You guys are great! Yes it helps!

Brian

thomae
    PM me your address and I will send you a .140 detent ball.
    PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a .140 ball.
    Ha! Great minds think alike (But fools seldom differ!) - Both posted at the same time, too. As my kids would say, "Jinx!"

Basic Member
    Ha! Great minds think alike (But fools seldom differ!) - Both posted at the same time, too. As my kids would say, "Jinx!"
    As soon as I posted I seen that you posted the same time! I haven't figured out which of the descriptions I fit at the moment but I am sure one of them describes me one day and the other describes me the next lol

I think it is cool how folks on this forum help each other out

Thanks
    Jack

Basic Member
    When I first bought it-thorough cleaning the extractor came off while using a nylon toothbrush on it. BTW- it took over an HOUR to find that blasted ball and spring. LOL the spring was in my shirt pocket

Brian[/QUOTE]

Brian
    Check the extractor and make sure it is not installed backwards
    Just a thought
    Jack

Check the extractor and make sure it is not installed backwards
    Just a thought
    Jack[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I did check that. BTW I too, think its VERY cool they way everyone helps ech other out. Best board I've been on so far! B.

If the extractor came out that easily then you should think about a new spring too.

Here are links to some parts I would recommend. They are all in stock and cheap. With a .140 ball you should be set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/194...g-all-calibers

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107...g-all-calibers

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/444...g-all-calibers

Here is a link to a new trigger guard....

http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=74

[QUOTE=kingzero;193274]If the extractor came out that easily then you should think about a new spring too.

Here are links to some parts I would recommend. They are all in stock and cheap. With a .140 ball you should be set.

WOW Kingzero- thanks for those links! I actually ordered the extractor, ejector, two sets of springs for each last night from Numerich- were more expensive than Midway..darn! Guys here are sending me the balls :- ) , and I found a stainless trigger guard at Midway that's listed for a 112 but the Tech. Service guy said the notes indicated that it will fit my 110 LA top-load. It was a couple bucks more than the matt, and my gun is matt, but...I'll have me a fancy-for-sho trigger guard on that puppy!

I'll tell you guys, I'm really getting into this, but I'd be friggin' lost without your help. Thanks so much!!

Brian- soon to be a Proud Paid Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    I'll tell you guys, I'm really getting into this, but I'd be friggin' lost without your help. Thanks so much!!
    You may also want to replace the ejector with the new style on the left.

The follower(tail) prevents the spring twist'n up like a salted slug and over compressing it. I don't know if they've found their way to the aftermarket suppliers like Midway, but its cheaper buying directly from Savage anyway. My last order for three ejectors, springs and extractors was something like 36 bucks including shipping.

FYI, the Savage store is closed until the 15th.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    You may also want to replace the ejector with the new style on the left.

FYI, the Savage store is closed until the 15th.

Bill
    Hey Bill...E-Town huh? Ever hear of Patton School. I was an inmate.:>)

Thanks for that info. I called Savage first, found they were on vacation , got antsy and...well, I'll get a new style too later on.

Brian

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    Hey Bill...E-Town huh? Ever hear of Patton School. I was an inmate.:>)

Brian
    I remember it well! Today I live on the hill above the old trade school, the "Masonic Conference Center" today.

Was "Zinkle" there then? He used to run over my butt when we played JH football!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Bulletproof
    McMaster-Carr for steel balls, and almost anything else you may need.

Basic Member
    I have an older 112 single shot .223 heavy barrel, shot little over half inch with the same ammo up to 3/4", but simply loved my handloads with 60 hp match Hornadys, and about any bullet 60-69 grains with appropriate dose of Varget behind it! I am talking low .3's to high .2's. !

Quote Originally Posted by skoger View Post
    I have an older 112 single shot .223 heavy barrel, shot little over half inch with the same ammo up to 3/4", but simply loved my handloads with 60 hp match Hornadys, and about any bullet 60-69 grains with appropriate dose of Varget behind it! I am talking low .3's to high .2's. !
    DANG!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Thanks Skoger! My buds gonna help me get started reloading soon. UPDATE: Got a SS trigger guard from Brownells- looks good on the rifle and fits right. The ejector plungers, extractors, springs are coming from Numerich, and THOMAE- THANKS I received the ball yesterday! Thanks all who told me where to get my OWN balls. There is a fastenal close to me.

Still gotta rectify the scope issue- after examining the crap oughta it, we don't believe the receiver is wracked. It'll be a couple of weeks till I can get some Burris Sig. Zees. Do the adjustment inserts come with the scope or order seperately? Cabelas has them but I forgot to ask that.

Thanks again...I WILL get some pics up this milenium! Brian

thomae
    Each set of Signature rings comes with two sets of inserts. Each insert is marked "0" (zero) meaning it is a concentric insert with no offset.

You can also purchase a set of inserts which come with three differently sized offset ring inserts, one +.050", one +.010", and one +.020". For a full description, you can look on the Burris web site, or on the Midway USA web site (MidwayUSA part number is 712472). They can be purchased at most of the usual places.

stangfish
    Thanks, I did check that. BTW I too, think its VERY cool they way everyone helps ech other out. Best board I've been on so far! B.
    I tend to agree. It makes you want to help others. Wish the rest of the world and the web was like that.

I hope this helps
    Jack
    Hi Jack- received the detent balls today..many thanks! Soon as the parts I ordered come in, I'm good to go! Again- I've been telling my shooting buddies about this board. What a great place!
    Brian