Thread: Stevens 200 .308 magazine configuration

Jeffocrates

Stevens 200 .308 magazine configuration

I recently took a Stevens 200 chambered in .308, with a center feed magazine, to a training class and was having feeding problems during "rapid" bolt cycling. The bullet tip would jump too high to enter the chamber. The instructor looked at the rifle and thought that there was too much clearance between the magazine feed lips and the bolt head such that force was being applied too far from the center line of the cartridge. With the model 200, the mag height is determined by the "L bracket" that indexes a slot in the rear of the mag on one leg of the L, while the other leg is sandwiched between the rear of the receiver and the stock.

My question is this: is there a way to install the mag box, either the stock version or one of the many versions for Savage model 10s, so that I can get the magazine positioned optimally w/o the bracket? I think that bending the mag lips is a kludge.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Jeffocrates; 07-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.

stangfish
    So the designed position of the magazine should be adjustable. On the other hand a magazine that may have been bent or tweaked prior to your possession should never be adjusted to work correctly. I disagree. I can swap you with a known good one if you change your mind but do not want to adjust the feed lips.

Jeffocrates

Mag condition

The mag is new from factory - hopefully in spec. I have looked at parts diagrams for various Savage model 10s w/ fixed mags and do not see the L bracket, but I cannot tell how they are held in place from the drawings. I may need to call Savage because their web based parts finder relies upon entering a specific serial number. I wish it were like a more conventional catalog. I am inclined to think that substituting one of those fixed mags from a model 10 would be the ticket.

Anyone know what the part numbers of such fixed mags are?

Basic Member
    i think the modle 10 mag is the same one as on a stevens 200 the ones i have seem to be both use a L- clip

stangfish
    Jw is correct. I don't know your experience level with savages but there was a previous series of the models 10/110 that had what is called a stagger feed. In that example you have the magazine attached t the action where tabs slide into a machined slot that does not exist in the new center feed version you have.

Prior to that they even had a version of bolt heads that was what is called a control round feed. Some say that is much more reliable for rapid chambering than the push feed that is now used. The action was machined for an ejector that was separate from the bolthead and was attached to the pin that hold the trigger assembly on.

Jeffocrates
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I also have a Stevens 200 LA chambered in 30-06 so am familiar w/ the mag attached to the receiver. For the purposes of a blind mag, that seems like a better design, although I can see why, for flexibility, one would not want to have dedicated machinings for just one specific mag, or for detachable versions.

Does anyone know if the model 10 mag well for OEM detachable mags also is attached w/ the L bracket in a similar manner as is done w/ the fixed blind mag?

stangfish
    The M10 DBM uses the exact magazine but is attached to the metal bottom piece. The location is determined by the frame position not the stock. The hinged floor plate model attaches to the bottom metal frame where it is again stationary.