Thread: My savages

Basic Member

My savages

They aren't anything special but they are killers! 223 25-06 30-06 Got my bases covered but looking to change up the 30-06 maybe

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You're a man after my own heart. The 30.06 & the 25.06....
    What more could a guy need?

Very nice. Just the way I like 'em. Plain, simple, to the point, no frills & none of those sexy sounding calibers.
    Good luck with them.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

cheapshot
    The 25-06 holds a special place in my heart!!

Basic Member
    Thanks. It does me too. I feel the line starts and ends with the 25-06 for a deer catridge

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    The 30.06 & the 25.06....
    sure, how many rifles you have! lol!

DWA, that is the beauty of savage, new barrel, new bolt head (depending on cartridge family change) and maybe a magazine change and you have yourself a brand new rifle.... I am working on the third one myself, by the end of the year I hope to have 4...

Not sure why you'd want to change up the .30-06. Every man needs at least one. Never underguned or overguned. I've found a working up to a max charge of IMR 4350 with a 165gr Game King is stupid accurate in several of mine and bad medicine for anything it hits.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I'm keeping the 30-06 but thinking about a new barrel and stock. I have a 300 and a 7mm but not in a savage.

Basic Member
    I picked up a good deal here from one of the guys on a 30.06 barrel with brake. It was like rekindling a love affair all over again. I hold a special place in my shooters soul for the 30.06. Having a nice brake makes it extra special now since it reduces the recoil & really annoys the guys next to you at the range.

Keep your good eye on our classified section. You never know what'll come up there.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 07-12-2013 at 01:28 AM.

I picked up a good deal here from one of the guys on a 30.06 barrel with brake. It was like rekindling a love affair all over again. I hold a special place in my shooters soul for the 30.06.
    Frank, why when I read this do I get the feeling that you're sitting up at nights in front of a fire place sitting hugging my ol' '06 sipping a whiskey or beer.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Not sure why you'd want to change up the .30-06. Every man needs at least one. Never underguned or overguned. I've found a working up to a max charge of IMR 4350 with a 165gr Game King is stupid accurate in several of mine and bad medicine for anything it hits.
    +1 in several of mine over the years

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Frank, why when I read this do I get the feeling that you're sitting up at nights in front of a fire place sitting hugging my ol' '06 sipping a whiskey or beer.
    You have no idea how happy I was to be able to shoot the '06 again. After shoulder surgery, I had to go back to shooting a BB gun. the recoil was too much for the 'ol bones. Now, with a nice brake on the muzzle I can once again shoot my beloved '06 - thanks to you.

And no, I ain't got no fireplace. But I do sit in the screen room in my GI Joe Underoos & fondle my '06. It's hard to not scream out your name sometimes.... HEHEhehehehehehehehehe.

Sorry to sound like this is a hijack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled insanity....

Nandy
    But I do sit in the screen room in my GI Joe Underoos & fondle my '06. It's hard to not scream out your name sometimes.... HEHEhehehehehehehehehe.
    This went downhill in a bilnk!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    This went downhill in a bilnk!
    Flat spin with no recovery. Let's go back to dwa's nice looking rifles & pretend this never happened.
    So Nandy, you say you're working on a 3rd & a 4th by years end. Whatcha looking at buying?

By the way dwa - You want to try something cool, see if you can get a AccuTrigger set up for that Axis. It'll feel like a whole 'nuther rifle. I picked up a half dozen used Accutriggers over 3 - 4 months time. The most I paid for any single trigger unit was $30 & that was a red blade AccuTrigger. The Axis being what it is, an AccuTrigger will change the way you think about inexpensive rifles.
    Once again, that's the glory of Savage ownership. Let the addiction / obsession begin.

Nandy
    Getting a hunter xp by beginning of next month and an axis little later since it seems there are a few options for those that are not afraid to try..

Basic Member
    Hunter XP is a nice set up for what it costs.
    The Axis really tends to grow on a person. Kinda like a fungus that won't go away. Personally, I think the Axis is one of the very few rifles that gets the job done - accurately - for under 300 bucks.

My son comes over every now & again so we can talk guns & other men type stuff. He'll always comment he'd like to have my 25.06 Axis when I go to the "big target shoot in the sky".
    Just to really ruin his day I'll say something like "I can't.... I already promised it to the guys on the Savage Shooters site. They're going to raffle it to someone that would like a nice rifle but doesn't have the resources for one, but I did leave you my old Mosin Nagant with the bent barrel in my will".

The look I get is priceless until he figures out that I fibbed.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

Basic Member
    I've been a savage freak for years. I've owned a bunch of them. Not until 2011 did I see the potential of swapping parts.

You're a man after my own heart. The 30.06 & the 25.06....
    A 6mm/06 and a .338/06 of course! Nice rifles dwa, I have a .25/06 that looks just like yours and it's a great shooter!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Bob, you forgot the 6.5-06, maybe the greatest 06 of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdave1977 View Post
    Bob, you forgot the 6.5-06, maybe the greatest 06 of all.
    OOPS! sorry!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Ok I've sold the 25-06. And bought a 270. Here me out before I get hung. I was shooting 80 gr ttsx out of the 25-06 at about 3600 or 3650. I plan on shooting 95 ttsx out of the 270 at 3700+. No matter how you look at it that's better. Maybe a slight increase in recoil but not enough to matter. At that speed at 500 yards it's still moving at 2100 fps and has 933 lbs of energy. To top it off with a 100 yard zero your looking at 32" drop at 500!!!