Thread: Finished my first build and the CBI Barrel from Northland is going to be a shooter!

Basic Member

Finished my first build and the CBI Barrel from Northland is going to be a shooter!

Hey guys, I just finished my first build. The rifle started life as a plain jane savage 11 in the black tupperware stock and is now a 6.5x47 Lapua. I'm in love with this rifle, and I think she has come a long way, what do you guys think? (First time posting pics so hopefully it works...)

She seems to shoot ok as well, this was just my starting load and I'm already impressed.

Thanks to Jim at NSS for the great customer service and the quality CBI barrel!

Nice-------real nice!

Basic Member
    I love mine in .204 similar group on my starting load. Nice looking setup.

Looks great.

My 260 CBI barrel came in from Jim a couple weeks ago. It's ready to shoot as soon as my stock comes in. I hope it's a shooter too.

stangfish
    Cooking with gas now dmm! I have 6.5 envy!

Basic Member
    Nice rig!
    Your going to have fun with the 6.5
    My CBI shoots very well also
    Jack

Basic Member
    Thanks guys, I love it so far and this is also my first Savage I've owned. I've only got to put about 15-20 rounds down range but I'm really happy with it. The worst thing is now I have the bug and I think I already have plans for the next one, but that's not a bad thing right? I'm thinking the next one is going to be a .224 Wby if CBI will make me the barrel.m

David

Can you post some larger photos of the rifle? Looks good...I think.

Joe
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.

Basic Member
    It is a cell phone camera picture, I'm not sure if I can make it larger. It is also the only camera I have.

David

Basic Member
    IMR 4350 is the best powder in my 260 Rem. WHat bullet are you shooting? Nice build :)

Team Savage
    Looks like a Boyd's stock, did you install pillars, install pillars and bed or just bed it?

Basic Member
    Thanks conch, that is the 120gr Berger target bullet.
    Basic, you are correct it is a boyds featherweight thumbhole but it does not have pillars and it is not bedded, the barrel is not even floated. I just sanded the stock out so the barrel would fit but it still has contact right at the forend. I had to shoot it as soon as it was together, the anticipation was killing me...now I'm kind of scared to mess with anything.

David

Team Savage
    Oh My, I understand why you are scared to do anything. I have a twin and am ready to install pillars, but may just bed the recoil lug. Boyd's do a good job of in-letting, mine fit very well and I almost stopped with the barrel channel too.

Bill

Basic Member
    I had all intentions of bedding it, I should have done it before I shot it. My stock fit well also, I just had to sand the barrel channel because the stock was for a factory sporter barrel. I guess on the next build I will bed then shoot.

David

stangfish
    Just curious, did you go back and seal the area where you sanded? I had a buddy get on to me for not sealing a wood/laminate stock after channeling so I have been using a urethane to seal when I do something like that.

Basic Member
    No I did not seal the area, never even thought about it actually.

David

Basic Member
    I have laminate stocks from Stockys & Boyd's. I have sanded & shaped on them & feel that, in the laminent process, the wood is completlely impregnated with the glue & resin that is used, & therefore are thoroughly sealed, even internally. Of course, it can't hurt to seal the areas that are sanded. Good Luck-Good SHooting :) .... Jim

Basic Member
    Thanks guys for all the input. I'm no benchrest shooter so I'm thrilled with the accuracy. I basically just built the rifle for fun because I love guns and oddball calibers.

David

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I have laminate stocks from Stockys & Boyd's. I have sanded & shaped on them & feel that, in the laminent process, the wood is completlely impregnated with the glue & resin that is used, & therefore are thoroughly sealed, even internally. Of course, it can't hurt to seal the areas that are sanded. Good Luck-Good SHooting :) .... Jim
    Good input FW

LRJammer
    It took me forever but I finally got my load finalized and got my new rig with CBI barrel in 260 out this weekend. I was beating the hell out of a 15" steel plate at 1049 yards! For the first hour of the morning, there wasnt much wind and it was almost boring. at about 9 am, the wind starting picking up to 12-15 MPH and made it a little more interesting.

Basic Member
    That is awesome, I would like to learn how to shoot like that at long range. Good work.

David