Thread: Would someone please explain the purpose of this benchrest target to me? Thanks.

thomae

Would someone please explain the purpose of this benchrest target to me? Thanks.

I see targets marked as benchrest targets with a concentric circles like a traditional bullseye target, but they also have an empty square above the center of the bull similar to the example below. Would someone please explain to me the intended purpose this design? I know that anyone can use any target in any way, but I was wondering what the designers intended.

??? I am currently ignorant, not afraid of admitting it, but wish to end my ignorance on this particular matter. I suppose if I were a benchrest shooter, I'd already know the answer.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

82boy

Re: Would someone please explain the purpose of this benchrest target to me? Thanks.

This is a standard IBS/NBRSA "Group" target. The center of the target is call a "Moth Ball", the lower target is a "Sighter" target, and it has 3 "moth" balls, the upper target is the "Record" target, and it is what you will be scored on. The target is designed for diferent sighting positions. The rings are there as a reference point for hold positions. If the gun is printing dead center of the moth ball, and the wind changes, you can go down to the sighter target and see on what ring/s you need to hold on to get the bullet to impact back into the center of the moth ball, then when you go up to the record target you can find that same hold position. Some people prefer to section off the black box at the top, sometimes called the "Top Hat." Some people may line their cross hairs so that they "Corner off" the box. (Place the top of the cross hair along the bottom of the box, and the upper right vertical cross hair against the left side of the box, and have the target pring just below. In group shooting it dont matter where the group is at on the target, as long as it is in the sectioned off box, that houses the rings, and the box. There is no bulseye, as shooters dont want anything that can affect the view of the bullet imprint.

thomae

Re: Would someone please explain the purpose of this benchrest target to me? Thanks.

Thank you. I think I understand. I appreciate the tutorial. :)

jeffreyC

The reasoning behind the target is that you do not want to shoot holes in your aiming point, so you sight the rifle to not hit point of aim.
    Group size is everything in benchrest, where on the target is nothing, as long as it is on the target.

This is one of the things I really appreciate about this forum! Here's a subject (this particular target) I never considered or even thought about. Someone poses a perfectly good question about it and Bingo! - there's a complete, clear answer posted. I don't know why, but after reading it, I have this, "That's really neat to know" feeling.

Good question and equally good answer. Nicely done!
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

thomae

This is why I like this forum. A lot. ;D
    a) I knew there would be forum members with the answer.
    and
    b) No one made fun of my ignorance or berated me for not knowing something very obvious to some others.

Thanks again for the responses.

Basic Member
    Really!?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyC View Post
    The reasoning behind the target is that you do not want to shoot holes in your aiming point, so you sight the rifle to not hit point of aim.
    Group size is everything in benchrest, where on the target is nothing, as long as it is on the target.

stangfish
    This post is 1 year and 3 months old.