Thread: PTG Bolt body and bolt face

Neeltburn

PTG Bolt body and bolt face

Just thinking out loud here. I would like to add the 110 BA bolt handle to my Model 10 308. I was browsing Midway and see that PTG has Spiral fluted Bolt bodies in stock. So I was thinking. ( I know dangerous I quit before I got a headache) can I build a new bolt out of the PTG body and face put savage internals in it and will BA handle and be GTG or would I need to head space the barrel? Can I reuse my Savage bolt face and be good or will the gains if any not out weight the costs?

Thanks!.

If you use the factory bolt head you would be GTG, if you use the PTG bolt head most likely you will have to re-headspace.

Neeltburn
    Thats what I thought but was not 100% I just wonder if there is any real gain in accuracy like they claim with the bolt body.. I can see where the bolt face could improve things not real sure about just the body, hopefully someone has tried it and will report in.

You can add the handle either way and be good to go. If you change either the bolt face or the bolt body (or both) you need to reset the headspace to verify that it is correct. If you have an un-sized pc. of fired brass from that barrel you can get the headspace exactly the same. You may get lucky and be the same as before, but without checking your headspace you can't tell. If you have go/no-go gauges, then you can assemble the new parts and check with those, and if the go closes and the no-go does not then you're good, but I would FL Size any brass you already have for that barrel. Even though the gauges work doesn't mean that your headspace didn't go from the tight side of the tolerance to the loose side of the tolerance (or vice-versa).

I have not heard from anyone that the aftermarket boltface gave any improvements, but I suppose you may get peace of mind. Perhaps someone with more experience with the PTG face will speak up.

EDIT: the above posts posted while I was typing this post. Shoalwater is right, however there is a chance that the new bolt body would be longer between the datum points, and even with the original bolt face being used you still need to at least check the headspace. Better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 07-07-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I have installed the sss fluted body to my .223 and it took the "play" out and made the throw slicker. Does it improve accuracy? Don't know, didn't have any groups before hand but it groups like a demon now so it can't hurt.

I have read a few of the posts about the bolt head on other forums and this one after googling and it appears that the precision face offers a few benefits including a "tighter hold" so to speak and so it is great for people who shoot a lot compared to the occasional shooter.... Something about having the bolt face trued with the original savage part due to irregularities on it...
    Last edited by SlimySquirrel; 07-09-2013 at 10:12 AM.