Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCI200 primers missfiring

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    Im just going to use the bolt firepin that fred (sss) worked on. All I have to do is change the bolthead and double check my headspace... will post back... once I get to use those shells but the way it looks is that I wont be using them for a bit due to lack of bullets..
    Don't forget to double check your firing pin protrusion.

Basic Member
    check your firing pin protrusion. here's the link.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...rotrusion-Data

I switched to Rem primers over the CCIs, like them better!

Westcliffe01
    It is fairly well known that CCI primers have harder cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    It is fairly well known that CCI primers have harder cups.
    yep-yep.
    thats "one' of the reasons why I use them on my progressive press,s as well.
    To my eyes.....the strike is too light

Nandy
    I just got done adjusting the firing pin. The ping protrusion is .040 (it was either that or .033) and the spring has been compressed to 2.596. Now I will be extra careful seating the primers and hopefully I will not see this problem again... The load doing this is a hunting load and that is the last thing I want to happen when I have game in sights....

Basic Member
    I had a problem with CCI200 primers when I was using them for my 7mm Magnum. There was a half second delay between the firing pin striking the primer and the primer igniting. I switch to Winchester LRM primer and resolved the issue. Can you give your complete load data for your 30-06?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I had a very similar problem using cci 450's in my 6mm dasher using Lapua Brass. About 1/3 of the rounds would not ignite. My unignited primers looked pretty much like the one in this thread. I was convinced that CCI had a bad batch of primers so I called them. Talked to a very nice gentlemen. He told me that CCI's failure rate in primers is something like 1 in a million primers or less. He then told me the lapua brass has deeper primer pockets as they are based on a european standard and not SAMI. Anyway he told me to seat them 3 to 5 thousandths below flush. It would ensure the primer was tight against the brass and would ignite. I did what he told me and now they everything goes bang. I would try and seat them a little deeper and see if the problem goes away.

Nandy
    psharon, sorry for the delay. I meant to reply to you but it slipped my head.
    Reminton 165 corelokts bc .339
    Accurate 4350 58.9 gr
    CCI 200LR
    Federal case
    Case oal 2.699
    A&B 30-06, 1-10, 24", Sporter Barrel
    best group is .22" at 100yds worst group I had so far is .5somthing...

As good as this is shooting I really want to work the kinks out of the primer issue.

I am setting the primer all the way in and will do some testing soon on a different bullet but using the same cci primers in the same federal shells...

Nandy
    I confirmed this weekend I am having FTF also with the winchester primers. so that leaves the problem pointing to the action. I think I have another firepin and will swap whatever I have. I had the ftf with the gun being stock and after the bolt adjustmet, SSS trigger and A&B barrel swap so this might be the reason why the owner sold the gun to the gun shop I bought it from... it was set up as a 7mm rem mag so I swapped the stock, barrel, bolt head, barrel nut, recoil lug, magazine and follower.
    Out of the 5 total shells I had ftf in the last session only one fired at a second attemp and the other one did not fire in a second attemp but did fire on another try after I very reluctantly used the primer seating tool one more time but I did not felt the primer got seated any deeper or moved at all. Another shell that got the same primer reseating treatment did not go off... So at this time I am not looking too much at the primer seating and definitely not looking at the primer brand.
    82boy, what do I need to look in more detail on that cold fire situation? I can pull the bullets off the shell to see if the primer did go off at all. I will pull my firepin out and if I have another one (i think i do) i will replace it. I dont want to replace too many things as I want to make sure I find the culprit...
    Thanks y'all!

Nandy
    I could not see any difference on the 2 firepins other than the one I am having FTF was "pitted" and it would measure from .067 to .069 while the other firepin was a solid .066. Change it and set it up as http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...rotrusion-Data indicates. Will shoot friday but not many loads... we shall see..

stangfish
    Two other things to look at Nandy. Firing pin spring tension and or preload. Also make sure the cross pin is indexed with the hole on axis.

good luck

M_Trivette
    Double check you aren't contaminating primers during the storage or reloading process. (Adding oil to finished bullets has caused such things to happen)
    I know this may not be said for most reloaders but I like to begin with the simple things first.

good luck
    Michael

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Firing pin spring tension and or preload. Also make sure the cross pin is indexed with the hole on axis.

good luck
    I not sure if there is a way to measure the spring that I can do. I did set it up so the spring is compressed to 2.6 as in mentioned in the article. What I do to make sure the cross pin is indexed right is to make sure I here it bottoming out when I flipflop the bolt without the BAS installed. If I turn the bolt facing down and I can see the fire ping come out of the bolthead then I call it good after a few cycles of that. Is there a better way to do this? I am hopping it was the irregular fire pin head, that is the only thing I can see that is not "perfect".

Michael, I tend not to touch the primers, they go from the package I buy them to the primer tray without me touching them at all. Brass has been cleaned with a comercial brass cleaning solution and dry on air. Usually they have been dried for days before I load them. All of these primers are brand new (as I bought them in the last 2 months) and 2 different brands and those between the same brand are different batches. They all get stores inside the house in my reloading bench drawers where I have all the dies. Powders go in a different drawer. That makes me feel fairly sure they are not contaminated but nothing is 100%. I will look at them with my magnifier next time I have a bath in ready for priming. I will look and clean my priming tool, that might be it...

Funny thing is I have tried in the past to kill primers. I used water, 123 oil, some other oil, wd40 and carburetor cleaner and none of that killed those primers... I still have a batch of primers I took out of brass that I dont want to use and I dont have the heart to throw in the trash because I dont seem to find a way to kill them and they soot the crap out of the gun you shoot them from.... But of course, with my luck I will find out it is my priming tool contaminating the primers!!! lol!

stangfish
    One more idea. Check your overtravel on your trigger. Not enough and the sear drags possibly slowing down the pin.

Nandy
    okay, I will double check that but I had the same problem with the oem trigger and the sss trigger it has now. I rather things plain breaks than stuff like this...

mpsmithvs
    Nandy,

I realize this thread is some what older but thought I'd share my experience. With the ammo panic last year I bought up a great deal of the basics that I use extensively. I have generally used CCI-200 and Winchester LR Primers. I purchased a fair amount of both and reloaded spring and summer for load tuning and the Fall hunting season. Recently I reloaded a number of rounds for my .308 and new .260 for some more load development. I had in the order of 10 -15 FTF's in about a 100 # load lot. It was pretty disturbing because I had never had this experience with any CCI primers. They were stored in my safe in my garage. I figured the humidity may be a factor and have moved my stock indoors. I also bought an additional 1000 CCI-200's when I stumbled upon them in a local dealer. I loaded up for the fall hunt around 60 rounds with the new ones and have had 4 more FTF's 2 each in both rifles. All FTFs have been solid primer strikes and upon disassembling all the loads I found no evidence of humidity issues in powder, internal cartridge or punched out primers. At this point I have no answer except to suspect CCI for the first time in my 30 plus years of shooting them has a bad batch out there. I have taken the steps to keep my primers "High and Dry" but it is a bit disturbing every time I've put the crosshairs on an animal that the round may not fire and I'll here that dud click ! It has not cost me any game harvests. l but on the range it has shaken my confidence. Nothing more disconcerting than that "dry thunk". I will continue to monitor the status of the CCI's. I am wondering if it is specific to a particular lot in the production run.?

mp

Basic Member
    May be the result of "pushing" to meet the demand ? ? ? ;-(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12