Thread: Savage Striker Rim Fire

Basic Member

Savage Striker Rim Fire

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about one of these for a while. I would prefer to own the in the order of HMR, 22LR and then 22WMR. Stainless would be nice.

Does anyone know the production years?

Thanks

Plinkin
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

2005 was the last year for all Strikers.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    2005 was the last year for all Strikers.
    Thanks Mr F. :-)

I think I am going to pull the trigger (so to speak) on a 501. Would prefer to get a 503 (HMR) 1st but no luck yet finding one. Anyone thinking of selling theirs?

Also did the 504 make it into production (HM2 / Mach II) I see the Mark II mags fit 501 & 504 so I would assume the 504 was the Mach II.

Basic Member
    I should have my 501 early next week unless they ship it out on the 25th Priority mail then I could have it Saturday :-)

JCalhoun
    We want plenty of pics.

Basic Member
    Well I picked it up today and I really like it. I didn't have time to play yet. I actually haven't even worked the action. Everyone else at the shop was playing with it. I brought my proving/dummy rounds and boy is the trigger nice. I wonder if it has the Rifle Basix sear in it already.

Pics to follow.

JCalhoun
    The factory trigger on the .17HMR I had seemed to be quite a bit nicer than the rifle triggers of the period. Not sure why. Maybe the way the linkage is?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    The factory trigger on the .17HMR I had seemed to be quite a bit nicer than the rifle triggers of the period. Not sure why. Maybe the way the linkage is?
    I checked mine last night before going to bed and it breaks clean at 2lbs 10oz repeatedly. I hope to take it out and shoot it tomorrow AM 7/31, and then later I will remove the stock and clean & lube everthing.

JCalhoun
    That's a bit lighter than normal for the factory trigger. It may have the RB trigger or maybe somebody shimmed it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    That's a bit lighter than normal for the factory trigger. It may have the RB trigger or maybe somebody shimmed it.
    I am not sure as I hve yet to do anything with it. I do have plans (or had plans) to install a Rifle Basix sear if it doesn't already but I might just clean & lube and see where that takes me. Supposedly it has under 100 rounds though it.

Basic Member
    Well I took her out tonight and test fired 10 Federal bulk rounds through her at 50 yards. 1st I did a 3 shot group with the scope set at 1.25x then shot at a spinning target, then at it on 4x. Then I put 5 shots set at 4x. Not touching the scope for a while and I think it is coming out with me chuck hunting. There are a few holes I can sit near.

Over all I am impressed and very excited. Hope to find a HMR version in the next year.

Basic Member

I am surprised it is not much louder, if at all that a Mark-II rifle.

When looking at Savage magazines they show the Mark II mag fits Mark II, 501 & 504 and the 93 mags fit 93 series, 502 & 503.

I know the 501 is the 22LR Striker, the 502 is the 22mag, the 503 is the HMR. Was the 504 a HM2/Mach II and did it ever exist?

Basic Member
    Well I know I said I had 2 pounds 10 ounces of trigger pull but the other night I couldn't get that to repeat when I was working on it. I pulled the stock to give it a good cleaning and drill it for a swivel stud. When I got the stock off I took a look at the trigger group and I thought I had an aftermarket sear in it. The other thing I noticed is when I removed the action screw the pillar it threaded in to came out with it.

I threaded the pillar back in only to find that it would go in to far and keep the bolt from moving. I figured a spacer or lock washer was missing. so I found a few small washers to work. After that was in place I re-tested the trigger pull which was fluctuating between 3.5-4#. I saw the sear was adjustable and I looked up the Rifle Basix and it didn't look anything like this one. I removed the trigger groups and disassembled it. Before doing that I had noticed that the trigger had a "catch" in it about 75% travel.

After disassembling I could see what was causing the catch. There was a couple small wear marks on the trigger. I spent some time lightly polishing the trigger & sear then reassembled it with Shooters Choice synthetic lube. I trimmed the spring and adjusted the sear tension. After working it so the lube would work into things I rechecked the pull and for it down to 2 pounds 8 ounces consistently. That'll do until I can afford the Rifle Basix sear.

I finished cleaning it and mounted the bi-pod. I have yet to re-shoot it.

Basic Member
    I have a Simmons 2-6x32 ProHunter Pistol scope coming for it even though I like the Tasco. 2nd day I had it I blasted a red squirrel out of one of the pines about 45 feet up using a CCI Quiet22 round.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    I have a Simmons 2-6x32 ProHunter Pistol scope coming for it even though I like the Tasco. 2nd day I had it I blasted a red squirrel out of one of the pines about 45 feet up using a CCI Quiet22 round.
    Well that eBay Simmons ProHunter was a disappointment. Currently have a buyer protection case open. I have a guy who is crazy interested in my Taurus HMR revolver. I don't want to let it go but I would if a 503 (especially in stainless) were to present itself.

Basic Member
    Well eBay had me send the scope back and I received a refund. I ended up not selling my Taurus HMR (the Raging HMR) and as luck would have it I found a stainless 503 HMR this week. I should have it next week. Once I receive it I will post up some pictures and tell the story of how I found it.

Basic Member

Well the seller received the payment today and took it to the FFL to ship. I am guessing I will see it Wednesday.

Story goes that I posted on Armslist on September 23 that I was looking for a striker 503 and I preferred stainless. After posting I always check my listings to see how they look and right underneath it posted on the 23rd was another listing for a 503 stainless. I called him right away. He wasn't up for shipping it. I told him what needed to be done and if he would at least check into it before finally deciding. 2 days later he called me and told me if I wanted it he would do it it would just cost me an extra $45 for FFL xfer and shipping. Done deal I said.