Thread: wanting a 223

Chuck Phelps

wanting a 223

Good day every one

Long time r/f benchrest shooter here.

A little info on my background, Not quite old but getting there fast. Only hunt whitetails out of a permanent stand. Same stand for the last 22 years, has not failed to produce 2 deer a year yet. Will continue using the old flintlock or marlin 30 30 so this gun will not be used to hunt, unless groundhogs make a miraculous recovery in my area.

Benchrest: Started shooting r/f benchrest 11 years ago after heart attack, always enjoyed it but kinda stopped everything else except the deer hunting, and I have the fellow that owns the farm help me get the deer out. I shoot a Winchester 52 D heavy for target work.

Reason for this post, I am wanting to shoot a little farther than 100 yds these days, and I have a buddy that shoots the 223 for target work. He prefers highpower because he can not best me with a 22lr. Truth be known if he had a better 22 rifle he would have no problem besting me.

Need good info. Know much to nothing on the highpower side of things.

Things I want in this 223:

Heavy barrel

Wide forend stock.

Accurate to my standards, will not be used in competition just who buys the lunch thing. Would like to shoot out to 300 yd every once in awhile. Can't see that far anymore and would have to remember where I put the target. Of course I am finding out remembering is a commodity hard to come by lately also.

Not looking for a custom build, almost everything bolt together thing.

Am looking at:

Savage Model 12 Varmint Series (223 Remington 26 Inch Barrel) This would be put into a Stock's LRV model stock. This is so it will ride the bag better on my front rest.

Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter in the 223 also. I understand this one comes with a heavy/varmint barrel also, but in 20”. How much would going from the 26” to the 20” barrel hurt the accuracy? This would also be put into a Stock's LRV model stock. Would going to the model 11 action give up anything to the 12 action?

Does anyone know how wide the forend of the Stock's LRV model stock is?

On what ever gun I end up with I would be taking the Weaver T 36 off of my 52 and put it on the 223. I have a Weaver T 24 I could put on the 52.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and for any info you might provide.

Chuck Phelps

Basic Member
    I think the Stockys stock is 2 to 2 1/2 inches wide at the forend
    I do not believe you will notice any accuracy difference between the 20 and 26 inch barrel out to 300 yds
    I do believe that the model 12 still has the side bolt release and the hog hunter has the bottom release
    The bottom release requires more work when installing the action in an aftermarket stock
    All that said, you can't go wrong with either of the models and they might surprise you how well they shoot in the factory stock

I am sure others will chime in with help
    Good luck on your choice
    Jack

Basic Member
    I have a Stevens 200 in 223, factory stock, and it is an awesome rifle for that distance. I routinely ring the top of a "T" post at a measured 180 yards from a rest. As far as barrel length, I find the shorter 20" barrel performs extremely well. I have 223's in 14" (Contender pistol) 16" (AR Style Rifle) 20" and 26". There is little difference in accuracy vs barrel length in my experience. Also not a huge difference in velocity. I would guess that you could experiment with a slower powder in the 26" and maybe get some more velocity out of it, but the 223 is already cranking out there where I need it to be. Try out a factory stock rifle before you spend a lot of money up grading it. (Unless you get a really bad trigger like the Stevens 200 I just bought and upgraded in 300 win mag) You may be surprised at how well you shoot it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Chuck, I was also very interested in trying a 223 so my wife got me a HogHunter for Christmas. It quickly became my favorite rifle for the range. The AccuTrigger was tuned and stock replaced with a Choate Tactical, and it easily shoots 1/2 MOA at 300 yd with 69gr SMK. Unless you are interested in much longer ranges, you will not miss the velocity loss with 20" vs 26". This is such fun to shoot, I have to force myself to take other rifles to the range now! So much so that I bit the bullet and ordered a primo Brux barrel for it, and I will be happily satisfied if it shoots better ( I am the weak link in the equation ). Either of your Weavers should work well too. Good luck with the 223 .

You might be better off calling jim briggs at northland shooters supply and build it from scratch so you dont end up with something that could be a disappointment. His number is 1-763-682-4296. He has recievers,triggers,barrels and stocks,basically everything you need including the tools to complete your project.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

dasphule
    I have a .223 Hog Hunter and love it. It easily shoots subMOA at 300 yds. I generally shoot 80gr SMK and 62gr M588 bullets over CFE 223 powder, both bullets are deadly accurate. 50gr FMJ shoot well through it as well. The Hog Hunter has the bolt release on the side of the receiver, in exactly the same place as my 110, and operates exactly like my 110 (actually smoother). The stock it comes with is garbage, replacement is a must. The magazine is a centerfeed, so keep that in mind when stock shopping. Any stock that a Model 10 centerfeed will fit in, the Hog Hunter will fit. I put mine in a Boyd's Tacticool stock and only had to file the wood under the tang to free float it. Otherwise it dropped right in with no problems. I also removed the iron sights, added a Nikon Buckmaster 9-18X40, a three prong flash hider, and bipod. Total cost to put it all together was right around $900, including scope bought on sale. A buddy shot mine right after I finished it and he immediately went out and bought one in 308 and is contemplating buying the 223. Great gun, highly recommended!

Basic Member
    My buddy was wanting to get into F/TR with me. I recommended he start with a model 12FV in .223. He added a scope, worked up a 69gr handload, and shoots sub MOA at 500 yards. To date, he hasn't changed a thing on the rifle. Buy the 12FV, add the stock & scope you want, and have at it. You'll never have to buy lunch again !
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]