Thread: CBI barrel

Haley's

CBI barrel

I recently received my barrel in .243 and I'm not much for reloading since moving to Tyler and was wondering if anyone had experience with the federal trophy bonded rounds ? The ones academy has are 85 grn . Or the Barnes 80grn triple shock ? That's the two I was considering shooting

Team Savage
    Get'em and shoot em. That is the only way you will know what your barrel likes. Both are premium bullets for medium size game.

stangfish
    Hey, What kind of answer is that?

What rate of twist is your barrel?
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Haley's
    I understand that's the only way to know if they shoot! Just was looking to the masses to see if anyone had been using them before wasting $33 on 20 rounds that haven't shot well for anyone else . In my 22-250 a few said Hornady shot descent but everyone said the white box Winchester shot great so that's what i went with and they were outstanding ! I appreciate the info

Team Savage
    Not trying to be smart about it. But every barrel/rig likes different factory ammo. You've got to try the brand you want to shoot. However, I would start with a cheap box of soft points to get a base line for comparison and do a little barrel break-in. My experience with Barnes bullets is they are picky when it comes to reloading. So it might be hit or miss when it comes to factory ammo.

Nandy
    Haley's I have no recommendation as which bullet to use but I have to agree with you in the researching part. After spending hundred of dollars in powders and bullets I have learn to start my research with google trying to find similar rigs as mine and see what people are reloading. ( I know you are not reloading at this time but is the same idea) then I try to narrow down the powder and load. Last 3 loads I have worked I have been able to find my nodes under a 50 bullet count, maybe lucky, dont know but to me it looks as the research paid off.

Westcliffe01
    If you have an 8 twist barrel, the Hornady Superformance 95gr SSt is a good place to start. It will also shoot out a 9 twist but will represent about the heaviest factory bullet you could shoot well.

Westcliffe01
    With an 8 twist and hand loading you can do 95gr Bergers and also 105gr Bergers. Fabulous bullets.

Haley's
    I have a positive outlook on everything and I'm gonna believe the $23 winchester 100grn hp that I have 3 boxes of are going to one hole for me ! Lol

Nandy
    Dont knock the cheap bullets out... Back in the day when I did not reload the best bullets groups I had for my 111 30-06 where 165 grain Remington corelokts which was about the cheapest brand name bullets i could find (was like $9.00 for 20 at walmart) but I did not enjoy the kick. Just this past week after about 10 years I tried them again, this time me reloading and I got a ragged hole at 100 yds using accurate 4350, federal brass and cci 200 primers.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Nandy; 07-02-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Haley's
    Well fellas its looking grim at this point on factory offerings here In Tyler ! Federal 85grn trophy copper fired ten rounds 3---3 shot sets and had a 2in flyer in each one! Two almost touching and a two inch flyer! Hornady 100grn soft point same thing ! Winchester 100grn hp ill know more after the barrel cools a bit... Discouraging to think the old "j" series barrel I replaced is shooting waaay better then this criterion !

Westcliffe01
    So you are positive that your new barrel is free floated and that after all the work your action is still perfectly bedded ?

Nandy
    Dang, I know the frustration... Is not like ammo is cheap either, it could cost you as much as half what you paid for the barrel to find a factory ammo that will be consistent. I sometimes wish it was a cheaper and easier way...

Dont know what your situation is that made you get out of reloading but that might be your only way go get good groups.

Good luck!

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    So you are positive that your new barrel is free floated and that after all the work your action is still perfectly bedded ?
    that is a good question. Fliers like yours are not generally (at least not in my experience) due to load but something external to the load.

Haley's
    I noticed three shots and this barrel is hot! Not warm...hot! I'm not sure what I'm gonna do ? I got out of reloading after leaving Colorado as nowhere to load develop so started shooting a bow with reloading component money... Now living where can do load development but the cost to get back started fresh is high ! And don't really shoot enough to justify reloading ! So here I am ...I've had alot of different guns and not one ever got this hot!

Westcliffe01
    Its hot out. Cooling the barrel requires sinking the heat to something. If it is hot out, the heat will build up and cannot be dissipated as fast. Its just a fact of life. If you intend to have accurate rifles and not minute of pie plate, you should never have sold your reloading equipment. It is the last 1/3 of the process after getting a good weapon and a good optic.

Haley's
    I'm sure it's me or the stock ...I've been watching religiously for a choate tactical right hand 4.4 spacing or a medalist ... Something I can afford under $300 to replace what I have now . Factory plastic

Westcliffe01
    I got a hogue stock from Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/152...d-rubber-black

They have long and short action. Everything fitted perfect and they were in stock, no waiting.

Basic Member
    How many rounds do you have down the new barrel?

Did you do any kind of a break in?

A lot of times a new barrel will take a while to settle in.