Thread: Boyd Stock - doesn't fit!?!!

dc9loser

Boyd Stock - doesn't fit!?!!

I have a brand new model 10. I bought a stock from Boyd.

It almost fits, almost. Forward bolt is about an 1/8 inch off.

The trigger guard will not fit, probably will if I got out a dremel and started cutting.

Rifle came with the plastic stock. It has the built in magazine.

Did I get the wrong stock??

Basic Member

Re: Boyd Stock - doesn't fit!?!!

Yes - you probably bought the wrong stock.

The hole spacing between old and new short actions is "about" 1/8 inch. Sounds like you bought one for the older staggered feed and you own the new center feed.

pa hog

Yep, you got the wrong stock. Sounds like you got a Staggered feed stock, for your Center feed action

Center-to-Center:

Center Feed 4.40"
    Staggered Feed 4.25"

dc9loser

Well, hope I can fix it with Boyd. Wonder if it was my fault or theirs.

this is the order confirmation stuff:

400-044-FT ROSS FT SAVAGE 10 BLIND MAG SHORT ACTION PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED)

is that the wrong one?

dc9loser

IMPORTANT: WE DO NOT AT THIS TIME MAKE THE STOCK FOR THE 1ST GENERATION SHORT ACTION (1958-1987) 4.522" OR THE 3RD GENERATION SHORT ACTION (2005 AND UP) = 4.40" CENTER FEED MAGAZINE THIS MEASUREMENT IS TAKEN FROM THE FRONT TRIGGER GUARD SCREW TO FRONT ACTION SCREW.

I guess I missed that. Boyd only makes stocks for the 1987 to 2004 savage 10's.

Older and newer are out of luck.

Kinda sucks. Lesson learned.

Basic Member

If they give you hassles about returning it IM me, I might be interested in it.

Dolomite

dc9loser

Boyd was pretty cool about the return. I sent it back via UPS today.

But - 20% restock charge.

My fault, it was written pretty plainly on the website that they did not make a stock for my gun, just missed it in the excitement of getting my savage fixed up a bit.

That stock was pretty nice, felt much more natural and steady in my hands. I already got much the same stock for a ruger 10/22 and that works great too.

torjy

Boyds sent me the wrong stock (long action stock in the wrong box) and still charged a restock fee when I refused to accept another one -

No more business with Boyds. . .

Basic Member

Check out this link. They have several stocks to choose from for the 3rd gen savage (4.40"), and they are a sponser here.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...filiate_no=103

or this link for laminate stock

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...filiate_no=103

Not that I like restocking fees, but you have to have some protection from those that send things back because the hunt of a life time is over or they found a better color thy like after seeing what they ordered with out proper research. Once it is installed, IT IS USED! No way around that! LOL One of the reasons I quit Walmart! My thong was getting to short from biting it when looking at 88 day recites.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by torjy
    Boyds sent me the wrong stock (long action stock in the wrong box) and still charged a restock fee when I refused to accept another one -

No more business with Boyds. . .
    And yet another business that will not see any of my money.

As I have said before there are companies that do their best to be the best they can be UNTIL they get a good name then their customer service goes to hell. We have all seen it time and time again, great company treating customers great then one day their new found success goes to their head and start treating all their customers like red headed step children. This is the biggest reason Leupold is still in business and is as highly respected as they are. Their scopes are very good but not great for the price but their customer service can't get any better and this the reason they are still doing as well as they are. The way you treat the customer makes the company great, not so much what they sell or how great the product is.

Dolomite

torjy

Not sure how a stock which would not fit and could never be installed qualifies as 'used' but I suppose you have to defend your advertisers at all cost. . .

dsculley

Torjy,

I don't understand the return fee on your stock either. I always look for companies that value their customers. I don't do the WalMart thing for that reason, among others. All my knives come from A.G. Russell. Check out their return policy. I once purchased a knife from them that had steel rivets in the kydex sheath rather that stainless steel, copper or something else that would not rust. Since this was listed as a dive knife, i was disappointed when the rivets and snap started rusting. They replaced the sheathe and knife. I don't think that trying to put the action into a stock makes it used. If the action screws were torqued down and left marks, probably. If the action screws were torqued down and the rifle fired, definitely. With all the different models there are today, it is not unusual to get an auto part only to find that it is the wrong one. I have never been charged a restocking fee when returning these. I understand the SSS policy on special orders. I don't understand a restocking fee on a stock item that has not been used. It is good to hear about some companies policies though, and how other customers have been treated. I will help me make decisions when I decide to order something.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by torjy
    Not sure how a stock which would not fit and could never be installed qualifies as 'used' but I suppose you have to defend your advertisers at all cost. . .
    Well as long as you think this was meant to defend my sponsors, I guess I need to help your reading comprehension skills.
    There is a bigger picture then you personal stock. My comments were meant as a big picture comment for why many company's do things the way they do.
    I named no sponsors, I used Walmart for my example, And I did say "Installed was used." Good to see you do understand uninstalled is new. you are half way to understanding the rest of the story.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor