Thread: New Savage 200 trigger woes

Basic Member

New Savage 200 trigger woes

I built a long range rifle in 300 win mag on a Savage 200. It came from the factory in 300 win mag, but I re barreled it with a heavy stainless barrel with a JP Tank Brake. Boy talk about recoil reduction.. The factory trigger feels like about 20 pounds. When I took the action out to adjust the trigger I found it to be a much simplified trigger without much adjustment capability.
    I called Jim at Northland and ordered a Rifle Basix Sav2 to replace it with, and about 5 minutes after completing the order he called me back to advise me that the newer Stevens 200 actions have been changed enough that the Rifle Basix triggers aren't a drop in fit. They do plan to have an offering for this action in the near future. I really appreciate vendors who are interested in customer satisfaction and are willing to halt a sale to avoid problems. I will be ordering from him when the newer style trigger assembly is available. Has anyone successfully reworked this newer Stevens 200 trigger? Blitzfike
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
    I built a long range rifle in 300 win mag on a Savage 200. It came from the factory in 300 win mag, but I re barreled it with a heavy stainless barrel with a JP Tank Brake. Boy talk about recoil reduction.. The factory trigger feels like about 20 pounds. When I took the action out to adjust the trigger I found it to be a much simplified trigger without much adjustment capability.
    I called Jim at Northland and ordered a Rifle Basix Sav2 to replace it with, and about 5 minutes after completing the order he called me back to advise me that the newer Stevens 200 actions have been changed enough that the Rifle Basix triggers aren't a drop in fit. They do plan to have an offering for this action in the near future. I really appreciate vendors who are interested in customer satisfaction and are willing to halt a sale to avoid problems. I will be ordering from him when the newer style trigger assembly is available. Has anyone successfully reworked this newer Stevens 200 trigger? Blitzfike
    I have a Stevens 200 and both a Rifle Basix Sav-1 and Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger fit fine without any modification. Never tried The Sav-2 though. I ditched the Sav-1 and use the SSS trigger in all my Savages. Very nice trigger IMO

Basic Member
    Jim indicated to me that the newest Stevens 200s had a change in the trigger and the older triggers wont fit. Taking it apart, I found that the factory never threaded the trigger return spring into the trigger. I cleaned out the thread locker from the hole, threaded it in and got a reasonable trigger pull. I still want to change the trigger. I have heard horror stories about tight barrel nuts and on this one I found one. When I finally got the barrel off, there was a tremendous amount of fine steel shot in the threads. My guess is that they were bead blasting and left lots of fine beads in the threads.
    NRA Endowment Member

northlander
    Just to clarify, the Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger does fit it's the Sav-1 Triggers that are being updated to work with the newest style Stevens Rifles. The price difference between the model 1 and the model 2 can be noticeable and have a definite bearing on a lesser expensive build. I will post an update when Rifle Basix has the model 1 trigger modified for the newer Stevens rifles.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member
    Thanks Jim
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    i asume the trigger you are talking about is the one with the coil spring might want to check out axis spring modifications hope this helps