Thread: Looking for a Scope Recommendation

LubeckTech

Looking for a Scope Recommendation

I just got a Savage model 10FP in .223 and would like some input on getting a decent scope. I have been shooting it with a 3-9 tasco with success but want some better glass. I am wanting something 4x or so to 16x maybe 24x FFP with MilDot reticle in the $250.00 - $325.00 price range. Bascially I'm looking for the best value for groundhog size targets in the 100 - 500 yard range. Currently I am looking at a Millett TRS-1.
    Last edited by LubeckTech; 07-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Westcliffe01
    A 16x to 24x FFP mildot for $250-$325 ? Sorry, but I suggest you save a little more and get a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR scope with the exposed elevation turret. Its not a FFP, to get there save another $400 then you might get something that actually works. http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-o...c-reticle.html
    Its $550 but it has been rated the best scope in that price category. Frankly, it is a bargain when compared to Leupold, Nikon or whatever else you want to stack up against it. If you get yourself a cheap chinese knock off of a "real" mildot optic it is just going to lead to disappointment.

A couple of years ago not long after I started coyote hunting I bought a used Remington SPS in 223 that came with a Harris bipod and a 4-16x50 Barska mildot scope. The rifle had a terrible tupperware stock which was warped and making hard contact with the barrel which I got fixed in 1 day and then I checked the scope and it was basically unusable over 10x because of the poor quality of the glass. Adjusting the turrets was just a hint that the reticle should move and the adjustments would undershoot, overshoot, shift after firing a few rounds etc etc. I tried to give it away for several months and only succeeded by selling it as a "package" with my savage 24...

Money spent on good glass is money well spent.

Basic Member
    I'm looking at investing in a SWFA Super Sniper down the road. One of the highest rated in your price range. Even had a contract supplying them to the navy seals. Rated up to .50 BMG recoil too.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 07-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.

davemuzz
    Well, I tell ya LubeckTech, I have two Millets. One is mounted on my Winchester 94-22 (yeah....I know....I'm a heathen for doing that!!) that is chambered in 22-Mag. The other is mounted on my brand new Savage .17 Hornet. Why the Millet for me? Because both of these rifles are used for fox hunting at night. So.....I needed a lighted reticle. And the 1-4X power is great. most times I don't need any magnification at all....but there are times when I do.

Now, if your looking at this scope to mount on a heavy recoiling rifle, I may think twice about the Millet. But for your application I don't think you can go wrong.

OTOH, I do believe in the premise that you buy what you can afford. And at my age, with my kids all grown up and out.....last year I purchased two 8-24X Leupold VX-3's with Varmint reticle's. One for my Savage .223 and one for my Savage in 6.5 Swede. I love 'em both!! But....I still like the Millets and wouldn't exchange 'em at all.

MHO

Dave

Westcliffe01
    The SWFA are fixed focal length second focal plane scopes. Not in any way comparable to a variable optic and not what the OP said he wanted. I bought the equivalent Bushnell model 3200 10x fixed magnification scope and I hated it. 10x is a poor choice in magnification level to put on a rifle that you take into the field. The turrets on it were also mushy, I would have had zero confidence in dialing corrections using the turrets. Neither unit (SWFA or Bushnell) had any means of parallax correction, which is essential on any weapon you are expecting accuracy out of.

If you are in a hurry and don't have the cash for a brand new scope, get a used scope that has all the right features and is in great condition. Most scopes sit idle and very few actually get the turrets used except for sighting in once a year.

In your price range I would look at the Redfield revolution scope, not a FFP but I'm not a big fan of those for hunting. I have never owned one but I have heard some good things about the Millet.

"Even had a contract supplying them to the navy seals."

Never heard that one, once the Unertl was replaced all I ever saw in the Navy were Leupold, Nightforce and U.S. Optics, granted it's been a few years since I retired but I can't see the military buying a budget optic, especially to issue to the SEAL teams.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    You're going to have a tough time finding an FFP scope in the price range; you might could get a used scope. Most of the popular scopes on this site such as Vortex, Luepold, Nikon, and Sightron, to name a few, start in the price range of $700 for the lower powered magnifcation first focal plane.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

LubeckTech
    I've been looking on Gun Broker and I've seen some prices on the Vortex PST scopes are even new not out of the question in the $525 range. If the Vortex warranty is as good as I've heard (have not confirmed yet) a used one should be a relatively safe purchase.
    FFP is not an absolute necessity and I would rather give up FFP if it means a better scope for what I can afford. How is this scope?;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=351520486

Last are Nikon scopes as much of a crap shoot as I have been reading??

Westcliffe01
    Edit, I see the seller on GB is Opticsplanet.. But you will have to pay shipping on the GB sale, but not at the online store.

Why would you buy a scope on gunbroker for the exact same price as you would pay at Opticsplanet.com ? At Opticsplanet shipping is included in the price too. If you don't like it you can return it. That may not work out so well with someone on Gunbroker.

The scope you refer to has a good reticle with a proper scale on it. For the extra $40 get the long range version I gave you a link for, you will frequently need to dial elevation and having an exposed elevation knob is a big plus.

The Nikon scopes have a very basic reticle which is not at all in the same class and if anything goes wrong with the scope you have to deal with people in NYC who may never have owned a rifle in their lives. I have 2 Nikons but they are not comparable to the Vortex scopes at all. So basically the value for money is a lot poorer on the Nikons.

What is your connection to Lubeck ? I have been there in mid winter some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by LubeckTech View Post
    I've been looking on Gun Broker and I've seen some prices on the Vortex PST scopes are even new not out of the question in the $525 range. If the Vortex warranty is as good as I've heard (have not confirmed yet) a used one should be a relatively safe purchase.
    FFP is not an absolute necessity and I would rather give up FFP if it means a better scope for what I can afford. How is this scope?;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=351520486

Last are Nikon scopes as much of a crap shoot as I have been reading??
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 07-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.

LubeckTech
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    Edit, I see the seller on GB is Opticsplanet.. But you will have to pay shipping on the GB sale, but not at the online store.

Why would you buy a scope on gunbroker for the exact same price as you would pay at Opticsplanet.com ? At Opticsplanet shipping is included in the price too. If you don't like it you can return it. That may not work out so well with someone on Gunbroker.

The scope you refer to has a good reticle with a proper scale on it. For the extra $40 get the long range version I gave you a link for, you will frequently need to dial elevation and having an exposed elevation knob is a big plus.

The Nikon scopes have a very basic reticle which is not at all in the same class and if anything goes wrong with the scope you have to deal with people in NYC who may never have owned a rifle in their lives. I have 2 Nikons but they are not comparable to the Vortex scopes at all. So basically the value for money is a lot poorer on the Nikons.

What is your connection to Lubeck ? I have been there in mid winter some years back.
    I was just using the GB ad because I was there and it was easy to cut and paste. I have got stuff from Optics Planet before and have been pleased - Quickly shipped and it is generally hard to beat their prices.

I work for Miller Communications here in Parkersburg, WV which is a stone's throw from Lubeck where I live.

Westcliffe01
    Ah, I was thinking of Lubeck Germany. Right on the coast, grey, damp and thoroughly miserable with wind blowing straight from the north pole in mid winter. But I thought I would keep that to myself if you were from there.... So I am guessing some Germans from Northern Germany must have settled there in WV, just like Chuck Yeagers family.

Maxamillion
    Ever think of going for a Nikon Monarch or Buckmaster?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Rifle-Scopes-C187.aspx

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactic...cope-P502.aspx

In the first link is the add from SWFA stating military contrac, in the second link look at the scope and you will see the paralax adjustment dial (rear of scope ahead of focus ring.
    I find these to be crystal clear and a great value for the money. However the variable powers are priced up there with some of the NF's and others. Some claim they are as good but I can not personaly comment on them.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 07-10-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Rifle-Scopes-C187.aspx

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactic...cope-P502.aspx

In the first link is the add from SWFA stating military contrac,
    I stand corrected!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

stangfish
    I'm looking at investing in a SWFA Super Sniper down the road. One of the highest rated in your price range.

True. Nice. non variable range and available in 10, 12, 16 and 18X I think they offered a 6x at one time. has limitations on a carry rifle. Great reputation and customer service.

Even had a contract supplying them to the navy seals.
    Nope. They competed for a mil spec contract and lost out to B&L.

Rated up to .50 BMG recoil too.

Yep

Looks like stang beat me to it
    "The SS series line of scopes, in their current form, were created to compete for a military contract. The parent design was built to military specifications as laid out in the requirements presented by the Navy."
    Also note the key words "Parent design"
    Not that it's bad glass, It just seems some folks play fast and loose with the truth.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

stangfish
    I'm not sure if I can get it but If you get with me I found a Burris MTAC 4.5-14 MTAC with Leopold PRS rings for 400 NIB. I sent you a link on your pms to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Looks like stang beat me to it
    "The SS series line of scopes, in their current form, were created to compete for a military contract. The parent design was built to military specifications as laid out in the requirements presented by the Navy."
    Also note the key words "Parent design"
    Not that it's bad glass, It just seems some folks play fast and loose with the truth.

That sounds more believable!