Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyds Tacticool for centerfire?

burdickjp

Boyds Tacticool for centerfire?

For some background:
    I shoot prone with a sling.
    Having spent the majority of my adult life with my hands wrapped around the plastics of a black rifle. Subsequently, I feel more comfortable with more vertical grips. I have a Boyds Tacticool stock for my 93R17, and enjoy it. The grip itself is a bit thick for my preferences, but it being laminate means I can easily change that.
    I'm looking for a stock for my 12 FV .223.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Tacticool on a center fire? thoughts? Opinions?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

burdickjp
    I think I'm going for the Boyd's. Now I'm looking at what will be involved in converting it to a DBM.

seanhagerty
    I put a tacticool on a 300 RUM build I have started shooting.

I like the stock. I had to open the barrel channel a bit to accept the heavy barrel. It fit the barreled action well, sits well on the atlas bipod, and seems to ride the bag well. It is a laminate wood, that I thought was composite until I opened the barrel channel a bit. The finish is a flat black, that seems to have a bit of texture to it. Dual swivels up front and a single swivel in the rear allow for a bipod and a sling. The shape of the stockfit me well, but I realize that everyone holds theirs differently.

I will use this stock for future builds.

So there's enough wood in the barrel channel to open it up for a varmint weight barrel without thinning it out too much? I asked Boyds this and they never answered me. Any pics?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

burdickjp
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    So there's enough wood in the barrel channel to open it up for a varmint weight barrel without thinning it out too much? I asked Boyds this and they never answered me. Any pics?
    I think it's already open enough for the varmint barrel.

burdickjp
    Just got my stock in. It is opened up for a varmint barrel. It took some work to fit the trigger guard and blind mag.
    I am happy that this is likely an improvement over the stock plastic, but won't be satisfied until this has a DBM and is bedded.

nockhunter
    I was just going to post a few questions on the tacticool stock. How does it feel shooting offhand? I think it will be ok shooting off bipods and bags.
    I was wondering what the stock looked like with the black finish removed? Does any one have a pic of the stock with the black finish removed?

Thanks
    Mike

Basic Member
    I am really looking into one, I want to be able to make the factory DBM work, I have thought about cutting the aluminum block out of my tupper wear accustock and putting that in stock.

burdickjp
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I have thought about cutting the aluminum block out of my tupper wear accustock and putting that in stock.
    Now THAT sounds interesting. I was looking at getting a Whidden bedding block and milling it for a centerfeed mag. Then milling the stock to match.

Quote Originally Posted by nockhunter View Post
    I was just going to post a few questions on the tacticool stock. How does it feel shooting offhand? I think it will be ok shooting off bipods and bags.
    I was wondering what the stock looked like with the black finish removed? Does any one have a pic of the stock with the black finish removed?
    I shoot with a sling, though with a recent trip to the range to see how the local F-class league looks, I think I need to either get REALLY good from a sling or start shooting off a bipod to be competitive.
    The stock, to me, feels rather good off-hand. Just like my rimfire tacticool, it's a wee bit big in the grip area for my tastes, but I'm used to ARs of the issued variety. Luckily that is easy to fix.

It probably looks very similar to their 93/Mark II Tacticool stock, which can be had unfinished from MidwayUSA:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/298...ished-laminate

nockhunter
    I think it will make a good varmint gun stock. I am in the market for a woodchuck/coyote type stock, that is where the shooting off hand comes in. The pic on midway's site looks like it will be OK with a stain and a few coats of satin poly. I wish I could get it unfinished from Boyds. It would save me the trouble of removing the black finish.

Thanks
    Mike

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burdickjp View Post
    Now THAT sounds interesting. I was looking at getting a Whidden bedding block and milling it for a centerfeed mag. Then milling the stock to match.

I shoot with a sling, though with a recent trip to the range to see how the local F-class league looks, I think I need to either get REALLY good from a sling or start shooting off a bipod to be competitive.
    The stock, to me, feels rather good off-hand. Just like my rimfire tacticool, it's a wee bit big in the grip area for my tastes, but I'm used to ARs of the issued variety. Luckily that is easy to fix.

It probably looks very similar to their 93/Mark II Tacticool stock, which can be had unfinished from MidwayUSA:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/298...ished-laminate
    That was my other thought was to buy the Whidden block but the thought had crossed my mind on the accustock block which is ready to go soon as it was out of the stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nockhunter View Post
    I think it will make a good varmint gun stock. I am in the market for a woodchuck/coyote type stock, that is where the shooting off hand comes in. The pic on midway's site looks like it will be OK with a stain and a few coats of satin poly. I wish I could get it unfinished from Boyds. It would save me the trouble of removing the black finish.

Thanks
    Mike
    I don't know why they won't sell them UN finished

Basic Member
    Did I see in another thread that Boyds was coming out with a Tacticool DBM stock soon? I am assuming it takes Savage DBM parts...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Did I see in another thread that Boyds was coming out with a Tacticool DBM stock soon? I am assuming it takes Savage DBM parts...
    I hope your right!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post

I also hope you're right! I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Basic Member
    Maybe if enough of us want a DBM tacticool we can go to boyds as a group and see if they will make a run of them. There more likely if they know they can sell x amount right off the bat.

Basic Member
    I've got one of their tacicool stocks on my savage mk II FV-SR and I love it. Are you proposing a "group buy" of sorts? The more I look at the cost of some of the tactical stocks out there it's just a no brainer to buy a Boyd tacticool at the $100 they charge and if it was $200 I still think it'd be a no brainer.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    I've got one of their tacicool stocks on my savage mk II FV-SR and I love it. Are you proposing a "group buy" of sorts? The more I look at the cost of some of the tactical stocks out there it's just a no brainer to buy a Boyd tacticool at the $100 they charge and if it was $200 I still think it'd be a no brainer.
    Yes I am, I wonder if we had a group buy if boyds would be more motivated to build them and possibly a break on price.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Yes I am, I wonder if we had a group buy if boyds would be more motivated to build them and possibly a break on price.
    If you are going to take charge of the group buy, count me in for one.

Basic Member
    Well I need two now, maybe three

Teddy for one,

Who else?

burdickjp
    I'd take a DBM tacticool, as it'd prevent the amount of money I'd have to spend on my current stock.

I have a couple tacticools on my rimfires and they feel good. A centerfire would be nice.

Basic Member
    If boyds would return a phone call we could get rolling on these!

does any one know how much a center fire tacticool stock weighs ?

Basic Member
    +1 for the DBM tacticool! Finished or unfinished I don't care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast