Thread: 338 Lapua load info needed

Basic Member

338 Lapua load info needed

Good afternoon all.....

I am looking for some load info for the 338 lapua mag.... I am shooting the Berger 300 grain hybrids and the Berger Sight is down for maint.... had has been for a day or two I think....

Any ideas where to start? I would like to shoot US 869... mostly because I can get it pretty easily but I also have some Rutumbo and RE22....

Thanks all

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    Well let me tell you what didnt work..... US 869 at 99.0, 99.5. or 100.00 grains..... They all were about 8" at 100 yards.... seeing pressure at 100 grains.... So back to square 1.
    MOAON AABE

thomae
    Not trying to be a smart alek, but have you checked with the powder/bullet manufacturers or any loadbooks?
    I don't shoot that chambering, so I really can't add any more.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    Well let me tell you what didnt work..... US 869 at 99.0, 99.5. or 100.00 grains..... They all were about 8" at 100 yards.... seeing pressure at 100 grains.... So back to square 1.
    There's a reason its available. Its crap. And WAY too slow burning of a powder for the 338 lm. Best groups i got were in the 5"range regardless of bullet. If you have a 50bmg rifle you might have a use for that powder. Get someone to watch you shoot so they can tell you how far the flames are shooting out the barrel. That's unburned powder and it affects accuracy.

I have an 338 EDGE and my shooting buddy has a 338 Lapua, I load for both of us a have swapped back and forth the same load data, and I have also used 338 RUM data so between the three chamberings there is a lot of data to choose from.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Ya I did use a book. Wont use anymore of that powder. I will wait till Berger's site comes back up. I had an email from them but when they put the 338 load info on their sight I got rid of my email. Looking like Retumbo or H1000 is gonna be the way to go. Was disappointed to say the least.
    MOAON AABE

Ozzy
    Im doing load work up on mine too, using H100 and Retumbo. Ran out of bergers trying to get them to fly... Havent decided if ill try again as im not hearing about anyone having much luck. Im now running 285 hornadys. H1000 had a sweet spot around 87.5gr in mine, but ive heard people are havibg good luck between 90-94gr. I loaded up to 92 without finding anything great. Thats above listed max though so proceed with caution.
    i just got my hands on some retumbo and started working it up. Dont have my log book on me but it was shooting very tight throughout the range i had it loaded, which was low to mid. Well i cant say very tight, horizontally it was around .7 edge-edge(not bad for initial workup), but vertically it was 1.25-2+.... Ive since adjusted my scope mounts so the crossbar of the rings pushed forwars against the rail as ive been told that will cause vertical stringing. Ill be taking it out tomorrow or sat to see if that was the problem. On dan newberrys OCW site he has a couple suggested accuracy loads for it you may want to check out. hope this is of some help, wish i had some solid data and proven loads for you.

Basic Member
    Well I sure thank you all for the input. Im am glad that this is not my rifle. It is a bit touchy. I promised a friend who lives in Arizona that I would work up a load for him and have it done by the time I go back to Az on the 27th.... Me and my mouth! I loaded up some Retumbo yesterday morning and went out. I got so much better results with it. We got it to shoot just under an inch using 86 grains. All of the hotter loads would show great promise with the first two rounds touching then a flier! Also anything above 87 grains started to stick the bolt. I have read that is mostly the brass but I really thought that HMC was quality brass.....

Well I may play with the seating distance a little but just under 1 moa is good enough for me! Ozzy, I will check out that sight!

Thank you all.....

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

blt65
    HMMM. Its weird that you would be getting a hard bolt lift at 86 grains of Retumbo. My load is 90 grains of Retumbo with a 300 grain smk. I have worked up to 94 grains and only there did I see signs of pressure. I am using Lapua brass.

Basic Member
    See I think that some of my problem is that I am not using Lapua brass..... Its HSM and I have read that anything but Lapua brass sticks.... If I remember correctly the HSM stuck when it was factory loaded.... He is gonna have to stick with the 86 grains cause I dont have time to work it any more.... Maybe after his hunt....
    MOAON AABE

blt65
    Hey can I ask what type of gun your using...I have never heard of a .338 shooting g that poorly...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by blt65 View Post
    Hey can I ask what type of gun your using...I have never heard of a .338 shooting g that poorly...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    You must not be reading these forums much. The savage 338lm has been a hit or miss rifle. Mine was a big miss - 2 MOA at 100 yards, sticky bolt, pressure at low charges. Lapua brass didn't help.