Thread: Has anyone done this?

Has anyone done this?

I am building a 6.5 Creedmoor for a buddy of mine, we are using a B&C Medalist stock with the aluminum bedding block. Has anyone left off the little silver hook thingy from the center feed blind mag? I just don't like the idea of the action having to sit on top of that rather than the aluminum bedding block. You go from good solid contact to a tiny little area of contact. I don't really want to bed the action if I don't have to. Let me know what you think.

That little silver hook thingy is what sets the height of the rear of the magazine. I guess you could omit it, but most likely you'll find that your bolt won't strip a round from the magazine because the magazine is sitting too low. Why not just do it right and use a small file to cut a groove in the aluminum block for the bracket to sit in?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    i thought the medalist all ready had a slot for the L-clip i think mine do

jww123, you are correct, boy I feel like a dumbass. I looked at one of my old staggerfeed medalist stocks and not the new centerfeed one.

I ended up removing the L clip, shimming the mag properly, and bedding the whole aluminum bedding block with JB weld. Didn't really gain much but it made me feel better having 100% contact area on the action.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I ended up removing the L clip, shimming the mag properly, and bedding the whole aluminum bedding block with JB weld. Didn't really gain much but it made me feel better having 100% contact area on the action.
    Dan, did you take any pictures of that.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Dan, did you take any pictures of that.

No I didn't Stang, when I go into a project< I'm like a mad man and the only thing I'm thinking of is what I'm working on, and doing it right. Later I think of why didn't I ever take before and after pics, or even make a vid tutorial for you tube, but I need all of my concentration for what I am doing and I don't want to screw it up trying to multi task LOL.

I'll put up a pic tonight or tomorrow of the bedding job on the B&C stock.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 07-01-2013 at 07:37 PM.

stangfish
    Great. I like pikturs

nastynatesfish
    I'm looking at the same thing on my 7-08 the tang for the safety sits up about 1/16 and bugs me. I think I'll file a notch in it since I don't wanna run it single, well see. My stock is a choate tactical

Bottom pic shows where I shimmed it at the front of the mag. Getting the height of the mag right is really important for proper feeding.

Last edited by DanSavage; 07-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.

stangfish
    Excellent Dan, that gives much more rear bedding area. Well done.