Thread: Questions on stock fitting

shelbyfan

Questions on stock fitting

Ok, I have a Stevens 200 300 win mag center feed. I found a short action stock that is for the factory single shot rifle, Model 12 F/TR. I know I can fit this stock to the rifle, no problem, Forstner bits and bedding, paint job, done.

Does anyone make a detachable magazine for this rifle? I figure if I do it I should just go all the way and do it how I want, I do not like internal magazines. I know that SSS has the magazine, but where do I get all the rest of the hardware to install it.

SSS says I need
    a stock, a magazine frame, a front action screw and a bottom cap for the magazine box.
    So where do I get these parts? Every time I call savage for parts they act like I have the plague because I want to customize one of their rifles. Maybe I should not have told them I turned one of their single shot rimfires into a repeater. Saved me a ton of money, and it works better than what they turn out.

This is a rifle I plan on keeping lightweight enough for hunting but will shoot good enough for some local fun matches, which I don't have much of a plan on winning. So my basic goal is to do as much work myself, and do it as low cost as I can, not cheap, budget. Since I have easy access to a wood shop working on stocks is no problem.

Thanks for any help.

louthedog

Re: Questions on stock fitting

SSS has all the hardware you need to make the conversion.

shelbyfan

Well, I finally got through to Savage and talked to someone who did not have to say the word, "uhh" before he looked up the answer.

So I have purchased the detachable magazine parts and magazine for my action. Converting my centerfeed L/A to detachable mag.

Now I need to know what, if any, aftermarket stocks are made for this setup. I cannot seem to find any. The original stock I was going to purchase fell through.

I it the same as the L/A staggered feed, or is the stock setup completely different?

Thanks.

Basic Member

I can make any of our stocks for a long action DBM. A factory long action stagger feed stock will work for a basis, but it will need inletted for the magazine frame. A VLP or BVSS style will work also, it can be a short or long action stock, as the pillar must be removed and replaced with a shorter one anyway.
    The inlet is very height specific and must precise for the magazine to latch and function properly. I have "re-inletted " several factory stocks and a few others aftermarket stocks for DBM's. It is almost impossible to do without a milling machine, manual atleast. I have programs wrote for short and long action versions for my CNC mill and the holding fixture to locate off of.
    Anyway, if you find something that will work, I will re-inlet for $50.00.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/dbmbottomcut.jpg[/img]
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

shelbyfan

I wish I had known that two days ago. I passed on an F/TR stock that was brand new. Sold on GB for only 82 bucks and it had all the hardware.

Thanks for the info. Nice to have someone who knows about these things, Google turned up about squat. Now I just have to scrounge enough money to pay for a new stock.

xsmokex

a magazine frame, a front action screw and a bottom cap for the magazine box.
    I am looking for these same parts is SSS the best place to get them? I sent them an email, 12-29-09 still waiting for a response. Would it be better to just call them?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. sorry to pull up a dead horse. Thanks in advance