Thread: MAG Large Rifle Primers Vs Regular Large Rifle

MAG Large Rifle Primers Vs Regular Large Rifle

MAG Large Rifle Primers Vs Regular Large Rifle How much would it increase the pressure in a 30-06 Using 59.0 C grains of imr 4831I have never reloaded with mag primers but would like to get advice before messing aroundWould like any advice you can give me. Plus thoughts Thanks Kelly

I have never had any gain on any front using mag primers, unless you are using a very slow powder and a lot of it, don't waste your time, you will end up with higher pressures, which other wise would have been fine, and erratic groupings.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I have never had any gain on any front using mag primers, unless you are using a very slow powder and a lot of it, don't waste your time, you will end up with higher pressures, which other wise would have been fine, and erratic groupings.

Dean
    +1 I have tried them several times over the last 40+ years and ended up with the same results.

Basic Member
    It depends on the primers. Some will change the pressure and some such as the wolf and tula primers are magnum only because they have a harder cup, the compound is the same amount.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

THanks for the info I will stay with the primers i have used for the last 30 years why mess with a good thing!

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart338-06 View Post
    THanks for the info I will stay with the primers i have used for the last 30 years why mess with a good thing!
    Sound advice!

I've heard of them being just the thing to cure hangfires with ball powders, but it's not from my own personal experience.

Basic Member
    I recently tried magnum primers in a 22-250 because I was using a really slow powder since its all I could find/had for heavier bullets. With 36.5 gr VV N160 behind a 69gr pill I was getting bad flattened primers, flowing slightly back FP hole but my groups still showed they wanted more powder which I wouldn't do. Switched back to regular large rifle primers and 36.7 gr N160 and MAJIC! Groups were great, primers looked great, easy extraction etc. This is my only time experimenting with them and are simply my one time results. YMMV, but I'm just fine staying with Fed210 Match and letting the 215's stay on the shelf.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I've heard of them being just the thing to cure hangfires with ball powders, but it's not from my own personal experience.
    Our go to load for the '06 is a 165, H414/W760 and a 215. A standard LR primer works until the temps drop into the low 50s or below then the wheels fall off.

I use 215s in my 22-250Imps and 250Imps with Varget and RL-15.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Why do the wheels fall off in low temp? I am interested because most of the hunting I do is at or below 50s for temp.
    Kelly

In they did you know dept, mag primers were invented for arctic warfare, this coming from my wife's uncle who worked at DuPont for over 50 years, that's right out of high school until he retired at nearly 70 his specialty was nitro glycerin, his famous words for nitro, "I don't fear it but I respect it".

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart338-06 View Post
    Why do the wheels fall off in low temp? I am interested because most of the hunting I do is at or below 50s for temp.
    Kelly
    Accuracy and ES numbers were all over the map with 210s and 414/760.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    This is an intersting thread since many reloaders are probably using different primer/powder combos due to lack of their favorites/proven being available.

Thats just it I couldn't find a box of reg large rifle for a time but was able to pickup mag large rifle!
    Kelly

beartooth91
    There are some folks who use mag rifle primers for all loads, so, they can purchase just one brand/type. The two pieces of guidance I've read are as follows:
    1. Only use mag rifle primers when the load data specifically calls for them.
    2. CCI recommends using mag rifle powders in any of the following scenarios (standard rifle primers for all other cases):
    - when loading over 60 grains of powder
    - when using a ball or spherical powder
    - when shooting in ambient temps < 20F