Thread: Variable Power & MOA Accuracy

Bcollins111900

Variable Power & MOA Accuracy

I have a question that I hope someone can help me out with. Hypothetically speaking, I have a scope that is 4-16 variable power, 2nd focal plane, with a mildot reticle. The mildots are calibrated for range estimation at 10 power. If I was to estimate the range at 10 power and say the given target is 300 yards away, I make the proper MOA adjustments for bullet drop off my DOPE card then bump the power up to 16 power, will my shot be off target?

Basic Member
    yes.

That is one of the great things about the FFP scopes POI is the same on all powers.

I use the Strelok+ app on my android and you have the reticle window that will show you your POI at the selected power. When you are zero at 10 power you will be low at 16 power. Vortex has an online ballistics calculator that I believe has the reticle view also.

Bcollins111900
    I have another person who is telling me that point of impact will not change with magnification ring regardless if it was 4 power or 16 power? FFP would just allow me to find range at any power. Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure everything out

Basic Member
    No. Shots still same poa, if you range on 16 power you will be off big time.

I'm going to say that your poi will remain the same. What's the point of having a variable power scope if you have to shoot it at the power you sighted it in as to be able to hit anything. Doesn't make sense to me.

Basic Member
    Here is screen shots from my ballistics program, once I get home I can figure out which one was which. This was like 6,16,20x there at this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeand...se/9196182388/

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I'm going to say that your poi will remain the same. What's the point of having a variable power scope if you have to shoot it at the power you sighted it in as to be able to hit anything. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Ditto. Your ranging will be incorrect, but POA is the same. If not, your scope has issues.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    When you say you are making MOA adjustments this infers you are changing the turret setting since it is a mil dot reticle? If so then you are doing correct. However if making aiming adjustments with the reticle then you will be 10/16 mils low (in other words you can make the adjustment for any power by taking the ratio).