Thread: action screws

action screws

What are your thoughts on torquing the screws mounting the action to the stock? I have an H&S Precision stock and I ordered their savage screw set. I don't have a screwdriver type torque wrench for correctly tightening the screws. Anyone used a regular torque wrench for inch pounds to tighten those screws correctly or do I need to buy another tool. Thanks

Hi dogman,

I used an inch pound wrench for several years, and then my Son bought me a screw driver type and it is a lot easier. My regular one worked just as good.

great thanks for the advice. I'll get around to buying one sometime but since I already have the standard torque wrench I just thought why not. Next to find out if it shoots!

thomae
    I would respectfully disagree with bythebook. I use a 1/4" torque wrench that I already had (dial type) with an adapter that lets me use any screwdriver bit. It works like a champ.

If you have one, no need to purchase one of the screwdrivers...and I would bet you that my torque wrench is more accurate than a screwdriver-type torque wrench.

Bottom line, you asked a question and received two very opposite opinions. Good luck making up your own mind!

(Do you know anyone locally who has a screwdriver-type torque wrench? That way you could actually try it out and see which you prefer.)

thanks for the response Thomae. The wrench I have isn't as accurate as yours. I have a craftsman inch pound torque wrench that clicks when the torque is reached. that and the screw bit attachments is what I will be using. Dogman

thomae
    i am sure it will be close enough.

Nandy
    Dogman, I also have one of the in/ft wrench type torque tool which I used for torquing mainly the choate varmint stock I have. It worked fine but it was a little awkward to work on small screws as the base/ring screws. For that reason I bought the screwdriver looking torque tool and I have not used the wrench type tool again. To me the screwdriver tool feels a lot more natural in my hand when torquing those little buggers and even when torquing my stock.
    Good luck!

Basic Member
    I have a screw driver type as my wrench type one does not go down far enough. You could torque them by rotational rate also.

stangfish
    Thomae's last comment made me think to make a suggestion. Close enough is absolutely correct. The guys who have not pillar/bedded their actions have found experimenting with torque can improve accuracy. So working you way up in torque is considered one way of finding the proper torque for your setup. Torque value only needs to be "close enough" as the value is not as important as the ability to graduate in repeatable increments. Just someting to consider if going to the trouble.