Thread: Millett TRS-2

Shooter59937

Millett TRS-2

Does anybody have any experience with Millett TRS-2 Scopes. If so, What are the pros and cons? I am looking for an affordable scope to top a Savage 12 FV in .223. My budget is between 300 and 500 dollars.
    I know when you talk tactical scopes that is on the low end of the price scale but it is what I can afford.
    I am also looking at SWFA SS 10x42 My only concern is that in reading reviews the turrets are mushy and not crisp. Is that to be expected on any lower end scope? Any input or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Rob

pa hog

Re: Millett TRS-2

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 would be great scope in that price range.

Shooter59937

I like Vortex. I already own a 3.5-10x50 Crossfire. Major bang for the buck on that deal. Does the Viper have Target turrets?

Basic Member

Why only 10x on a .223? Is that the standard for Tactical purposes? I have a 6-24x50 1 inch, not 30mm though, on mine. Just curious.
    Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

Shooter59937

No particular reason. It is just the one I was looking at. I am open to variable power. What brand is your scope Hoot?

shooter I have 4 20x ss scopes and have no problem with the turrets. The mushy feeling is usually because of grease just turn them up and down through a full cycle a couple of times to disperse the grease and all is well.
    For $320 you won't find many better scopes.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

I sleep around. On my Model 12BVTHS .223 Its a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. On my 12FVTH .22-250 its a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40. On my Remington 700 VLS 6mm its a Sightron SII 6-24x42. You can pick them up on the used market in the $250-$350 range quite often. Aside from different objective size, my eyes can not tell significant difference between them. None would be the best choice for Tactical use though. Luckily, I don't have to use mine in that situation. I just varmint and punch paper with them.
    Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

pa hog

I've had two Super 10X's and did'nt like them. Glass did'nt impress me, Crosshairs to thick for target shooting and clicks not very audiable or positive no matter how many times I spread the grease out. But they do hold zero well.

I've heard some good stuff on the Millets from a buddie that shoots them on his gaggle of AR's. I've looked thru some and the glass is very clear and the reticle was sized well, But they are heavy, beefy feeling scopes. He also commented on their ability to hold zero,saying they do that well.