Thread: Accustock Version 1 or 2 ?

Basic Member

Smile Accustock Version 1 or 2 ?

Yesterday I received my new Model 10 Hunter Max 1 (24" barrel, a beauty!) in caliber 243. The Instruction Manual which comes with the rifle describes two different versions of the Accustock; Version 1 with the wedge, and Version 2 without the wedge. How can I tell (without taking the gun apart), which version I have? I didn't even know there are two versions. Also, the package states the "firearm incorporates Savage Arms' new bolt release and rear cocking indicator." Well, the bolt release is on the bottom of the gun just at the front of the trigger guard, but I don't see any cocking indicator. What's the scoop on this?? (This gun is intended to be one of my varmint, and also paper punching, rifles.)

Are there 3 or 4 screws on the bottom of the stock? You'll have two going through the trigger guard, one about 4.5 inches forward of the trigger guard, and possibly a 4th a little further forward than that. If you have the 4th screw you have the 1st version of the AccuStock. Basically after the first 6 months or so of production Savage realized that the wedge offered no real benefit so they deep 6'd it.

As for the cocking indicator, there are actually two. The first is at the rear of the bolt. When the firing pin is uncocked the rear assembly screw on the bolt assembly will have a hole in it to insert a hex wrench to remove it. When the firing pin is cocked the indicator will protrude back through that hole to where it's flush or a little past flush with the back of the assembly screw.

The second is a small flag that's part of the sear which will pop up from behind the stock on the right side of the action just forward of the bolt handle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks, appreciate the help and quick response. Everything is as you said, except I don't see any small flag. Incidentally, I have Version 2, which makes sense as this is a new rifle and they would have discontinued Version 1 years ago as Accustocks have been around for about seven years or so. BTW, has anyone out there sprayed foam insulation into the back of the stock to firm up the stock a bit? Does it make a noticeable difference? Will it push out the sides of the stock too much?

Am planning to put about a 4-16X Scorpion (Copperhead??), scope on this baby....

May be looking at a 270 WSM Accustock (would have preferred a 260 Rem but they don't have any), at Cabelas next week. Is there really any discernible difference in accuracy between Accustock and the regular tupperware stock, or the walnut stocks? Again, thanks for all the help.

stangfish
    A handful of questions.
    Why the scorpion and how much?
    How much flex does your accustock have? The ones I have been exposed to do not flex very much.
    How is it currently effecting accuracy?
    How accurate do you want to be, and what is the weakest link between any rifle you purchase and it's accuracy?
    What is your experience level?

Basic Member
    Why Scorpion? I met the guys at a gun show who started this company, and from talking to an independent gunsmith who has used these scopes, he says there are very good. Scorpion Copperhead 4-16x scope for $250.00, so I'm going to try it.

stangfish
    I did the same thing 5 years ago at the shot show. I saw Konus and the glass looked pretty good. The turrets where the only discouraging thing. So who makes the scope?
    Last edited by stangfish; 06-30-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Basic Member
    This is the part I really don't like about the Scorpion scopes; the scope guys at the gun show told me they are made in China, and I would much prefer to purchase scopes made in North America, like the new (Leupold) Redfield. I purchased a Redfield 4-12x a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it yet, maybe tomorrow I'll have to make the time.

stangfish
    I bash them creatures pretty regular but some of the guys have been happy with there Chinese stuff. Meaning I'm not a good person to endorse a chines made precission product. Buuuuut Ther are guys who claim to have success with one. If you research them there is nothing on the web..Good Or Bad. IMHO ask some of the guys what they are have had success with and then research those scopes. Warranty is only good if you have time to send it back in forth. No salesman has never sold an inferior product that his current employer stocks. Would seem like a real downer if your shiny new rifle had to wait on the ship to get you back to the range. Finding an american manufactured scope for a decent price is impossible. Good luck.

Basic Member
    I made a good living in N America and now I make a good pension in N America and that's why I prefer to buy N American. The Japanese or the Chinese, nor any other foreigners , ever contributed one penny to my salary or pension and that's why I prefer to support American workers.

thomae
    The title of this thread is "Accustock Version 1 or 2."
    We have wandered way off topic here, so let's get our focus back.
    If you want to discuss scopes, we have a section devoted to that subject.

It's only fair to the original poster...

Thanks.