Thread: .300 Winchester Magnum barrel length

Basic Member

.300 Winchester Magnum barrel length

What is the shortest efficient barrel length in .300 W.M. for long range shooting?

From my experience 24" for anything with the word mag in it, 80gr is a lot of powder to burn in that short period of length, 20" for non mag,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    i guess the best thing would be to put on a 30" and keep lopping it off an inch at a time
    till you answer your own question. if it were me id install a 26" and be happy.

stangfish
    the longer the barrel the more velocity. I guess there is a point of dimenishing returs but the lesser calibers need that length. Does the win mag? I like 26+

I would say depends on the powder you want to use. I've been experimenting with shorter barrels(just got an 18 inch 6.5 CM barrel from Jim) and I'm getting better results and more velocity with the faster powders as opposed to the run if the mill 4350 recipes. I feel like I'm getting a more complete burn and not shooting fireballs. I shoot 300 WM and use h1000. That powder likes a lot of barrel. I personally wouldn't shoot it with less than 26 as my best results have been with R22 and H1000 and the heavier bullets (208s and berger 210/215)

Basic Member
    I think getting a 30 inch barrel and starting from there is the best idea. You can always shorten but no going back if you start to short. Thanks everyone for all the ideas. Hope to be posting pictures of my Savage 110 sporter upgraded to a long range Hunter/Target rifle.
    Just need a barrel, scope mount and rings.

I had a Lilja 26" 10 twist 300 WinMag and the most I could get was 3000 fps for the 208 Amax's and 4000 with the 110 Vmax's, now I have a 30" McGowen 12 twist and I easily get 3200 fps+ with the 208 Amax's and 4400 fps+ with the 110 Vmax's, these numbers were achieved by using the same load in both barrels, 72gr of Hybrid100 for 208s and 80gr of Varget for the 110s, so to me the 4" of barrel and 2plus on the twist was a solid move.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-28-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I had a Lilja 26" 10 twist 300 WinMag and the most I could get was 3000 fps for the 208 Amax's and 4000 with the 110 Vmax's, now I have a 30" McGowen 12 twist and I easily get 3200 fps+ with the 208 Amax's and 4400 fps+ with the 110 Vmax's, these numbers were achieved by using the same load in both barrels, 72gr of Hybrid100 for 208s and 80gr of Varget for the 110s, so to me the 4" of barrel and 2plus on the twist was a solid move.

Dean
    interesting results. thats alot of velocity for a 208 in a win mag. how did the accuracy compare between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    interesting results. thats alot of velocity for a 208 in a win mag. how did the accuracy compare between the two?
    Then I should not tell you what speeds, I am getting with those 208 Amax's out of my 300 RUM you probably wouldn't believe me anyway, in they act of full disclosure I ain't getting 10 reloads out of that brass either. not when I load them like that anyway,
    as far as that 30" McGowen it is a half minute barrel easy when I am shooting, a lot less when someone else is behind the trigger, which on one hand kinda pisses me off, but on they other hand makes me proud of my rig, great now I sound like a chick,LOL

Dean

I don't really shoot the 208s that often so it is not an issue, but I am constantly surprised at how many times, I can load the same piece of brass, when I launch the 110s at the speeds I do, it seems to have little or no effect on the brass.

Dean

masterblaster
    I have a bull barrel in 300 wm being made right now, I went with 28. It will sit on a 111 action and a choate stock with CDI bottom metal. 26 - 28 I would say after my discussions with Jim at NSS.

Basic Member
    Then I should not tell you what speeds, I am getting with those 208 Amax's out of my 300 RUM you probably wouldn't believe me anyway, in they act of full disclosure I ain't getting 10 reloads out of that brass either. not when I load them like that anyway,
    as far as that 30" McGowen it is a half minute barrel easy when I am shooting, a lot less when someone else is behind the trigger, which on one hand kinda pisses me off, but on they other hand makes me proud of my rig, great now I sound like a chick,LOL

Dean
    i will tell you ive been around this stuff for a very long time. and i'll also tell you i beleve everything i see. lol
    i will be within about 6 hrs of you for the next 5 months. we could have a ball. just bring your guns and your dies.

When someone asks me how well does my barrel shoot, it kinda puts me in a predicament due to the fact that, I am not a good paper shooter, for some reason I can't seem to shoot 3 good shots in a row, but if someone says I bet you can't hit that crow which happens to be 300 yards away give or take, the next thing you know feathers are fling everywhere, that and the fact that my optics are the weak link on all my rigs, since almost all of them are sporting $99.00 Vortex crossfires, hey they get the job done but lets not kid ourselves, there not they choice equipment for sub 1/2 min groupings, especially with that big honkin mildot recital in the way, I have had good optics on my rigs that I have borrowed that's they only way I know how well they really shoot.

Dean

PS: I have had Sightron 10X50-60 on my rigs, and it makes all the difference in the world, but dropping a G note on optics is not an option, not anytime soon anyway, so I am going to make the best with what I have,
    so I have decided from now on, if someone asks me how well does my barrel shoot, I will respond by saying it depends on what optics I am sporting,
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-29-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spellink

Basic Member
    I put a 28" on mine and like the extra velocity I get with it. Some days I wish I had gone to a 30" but it would make it difficult to fit in my safe! With the 28" I'm getting around 3230fps with 180sst's. That's solidly in the territory of a Weatherby or RUM with 24" barrels so I'm happy with that. Of course those big boomers get even more with the longer barrels but I can shoot my Win Mag for less money plus a 180 grain at over 3200fps is plenty fast for me.

Basic Member
    well velocity is great but even greater when coupled with a long heavy bullet.
    id be happier with 3000 fps from a 210 berger. and happier yet with 3000 and a 300 gr.
    if you want to find out how good your gun and bullets are shoot them accross a wide valley
    onto a mountainside. there is no other true way to find out. do it more than once so as to get the real picture
    under different conditions. die hard opinions can change very quickly.

"if you want to find out how good your gun and bullets are shoot them across a wide valley
    onto a mountainside. there is no other true way to find out. do it more than once so as to get the real picture
    under different conditions. die hard opinions can change very quickly.[/QUOTE]

I do that all the time, only I watch the vapor trail it's a pretty awesome spectacle.

Dean

Basic Member
    so what do you watch that with dean?
    your right it is fun to watch that.
    just so you dont get totaly caught up watching and miss the actual hit.
    vapor trail will put you close depending on the distance and wind. you wont be following it all the way
    on the very long shots. on very windy days you wont be following it much period.
    thats where the big bullets really shine. at 1500 yds a 7mm could be very
    tough to follow. a 300 gr 338 is like watching a semi roll down a freeway in comparison.

I never really shoot more than 500 to 600 yards, and that is where the vapor trail is the the most defined.

Dean

Basic Member
    I never really shoot more than 500 to 600 yards, and that is where the vapor trail is the the most defined.

Dean
    well again we disagree. at 500 the bullet is there so fast and so flat there is really no need to be looking for it.
    especially with the magnum cartridges. at longer distances it will give you an immediate assesment of what will take place.
    for example if it never rises above the target at say 1000 yds or closer depending on the cartridge, the shot will be low so
    be looking low before it gets there. im talking about the spotter of coarse. same with windage, if its off to one side be looking that way
    or you will miss the hit. the spotter is the most crucial part of the whole deal. a good one makes the shooter look good and a poor
    one just the opposite. thats why kids do so well. they tend to be better listeners. not much ego going on yet at that age. frankly that
    can be a problem with some very good shooters.
    the fastest race car with the best driver might not make the first lap without the guy on the roof. same type situation.

stangfish
    Yobuck, you seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Are you a shooting instructor? Sniper or sniper/long range hunter trainer/educator? A fella could learn a lot from you.
    Last edited by stangfish; 06-29-2013 at 06:59 PM.

JCalhoun
    joey,

What are you calling long range what will the purpose be?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Yobuck, you seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Are you a shooting instructor? Sniper or sniper/long range hunter trainer/educator? A fella could learn a lot from you.
    no im none of the above. the knowledge i have is as a result of time spent doing this type of shooting.
    ive also been fortunate to have had some very good mentors. in the early 70s our camp in nc pa
    made the decision to change our method of hunting. that based on observation of others who were more
    successful than we were. yes long range hunting is a form of sniping. for that reason some traditionilst
    are turned off by it. contrary to the belief of some it does not require spectacular marksmanship abilities.
    average guys can do very well at surprising distances. it does require a willingness to spend money on
    specialized equiptment. the gun frankly is not the most important peice of equiptment.