Thread: Need dooner rifle for my 6.5-284 barrel

Bug Splat

Need dooner rifle for my 6.5-284 barrel

I have a 6.5-284 single shot model 12 that I built. Basically got tired of my 223 and ordered a LW barrel and converted the rifle to single shot. Well, I want to upgrade to a long action with either a detachable mag or hinged floor plate. The rifle shoots great (sub1/4 MOA) but I want to maybe take her hunting soon and need a little faster reloading than a single shot can give.

I'm loading really long on the round, 3.24OAL so I was thinking of picking up another savage in 30-06 and just swapping out the barrel and stock. Anyone know if I would need to adjust the mag at all for feeding? I'd really hate to order a whole rifle just to replace the barrel and stock. Is there any place where I can just order a OEM action, trigger group, bolt and mag, minus the barrel and stock?

Thanks

Bad Water Bill

Re: Need dooner rifle for my 6.5-284 barrel

Try Jim at Northland. Click on Sponsors and scroll to the very bottom. Jim is a super guy.

tinkerer

What he said, but I think you're on the right track, to start with. Will it fit in the mag, should.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Bug Splat

Well 30-06 has a 3.34OAL so I should be good. I have no idea about the magazine. I'd imagine I would have to play with it a little to get it to feed correctly but should not be a big deal. 30-06 also shares the same bolt head too so that should work.

I'm liking what I see with the new Accustock. Normally I get a aftermarket stock and do my own bed job but it seems that with this stock its not really needed. If I just get a new rifle and just rebarrel it I think it would be a lot less work. Buying just the action and parts looks like it will cost more than just buying a new rifle.