Thread: 330 yard ground hog

hickhall

330 yard ground hog

austin shot this ground hog at 330 yards with my model 16 in 6.5 creedmoor

Last edited by hickhall; 07-03-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: photo

Good shootin Austin!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

stangfish
    Sweet! Is that a public road between here and there?

hickhall
    no it is private

Very Nice, I am curious with the difference in elevation what was his hold over or did he have to dope the scope or was it a straight shot,
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Sweet! Is that a public road between here and there?
    Here in Pa., you are permitted to shoot over public roads as long as the line of fire is high enough above the road, so that the traveling public is in no danger of being hit by the projectile. That would include a car, SUV, or heavy truck.

Dave

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Here in Pa., you are permitted to shoot over public roads as long as the line of fire is high enough above the road, so that the traveling public is in no danger of being hit by the projectile. That would include a car, SUV, or heavy truck.

Dave
    Right. You guys have a good thing going but you would have to show me that on PA.gov

davemuzz
    Right. You guys have a good thing going but you would have to show me that on PA.gov
    Yeah Stang....like I'd make something like that up. Or make anything up. Go to this web site http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=968783&mode=2

Scroll down and click "General Hunting Regulations"

When the PDF file opens, go to the bottom of the FIRST page and read the ENTIRE sentence of sentence 3).

stangfish
    Sorry dave, Did not mean to imply you made it up or anything else for that matter. You could have been joking. I just found it hard to believe.

It is unlawful to 1) hunt from a vehicle; 2) shoot
    at wildlife on a public road or right-of-way open to public travel; 3)
    shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude
    any danger to road users;

There it is in black and white! You have to admit, it is akin to going to a gun range and saying im going to go change my target you can keep shooting, just don't hit me. !!!

FYI something else I find hard to believe is how George Zimmerman beat the heck out of Treyvon Martin's fist with his nose from the obvious advantage of being pinned on the bottom.
    Last edited by stangfish; 06-28-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Basic Member
    Sorry dave, Did not mean to imply you made it up or anything else for that matter. You could have been joking. I just found it hard to believe.

It is unlawful to 1) hunt from a vehicle; 2) shoot
    at wildlife on a public road or right-of-way open to public travel; 3)
    shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude
    any danger to road users;

There it is in black and white! You have to admit, it is akin to going to a gun range and saying im going to go change my target you can keep shooting, just don't hit me. !!!

FYI something else I find hard to believe is how George Zimmerman beat the heck out of Treyvon Martin's fist with his nose from the obvious advantage of being pinned on the bottom.
    understand that pa has vast areas of land for public hunting. that said there would be difficulty finding an area more than
    about a half mile from some sort of a road. be that a main rd, a back dirt rd, logging road or access roads to miles of gas well pipelines which could also be considered a road. also much of the terrain is very mountainous where the roads could be well below. if pa had a
    law like say colorado, long range hunting would be history in that state.

as for the martin/zimmerman trial its got nothing to do with martin or zimmerman. there are hundreds of treyvons shot every
    year in places like chicago. there dosent seem to be much concern about them does there. why no outrage over that?

stangfish
    understand that pa has vast areas of land for public hunting.
    A reason for envy if your not a land owner in the second largest state. We cannot fire a weapon within a hundred yards of a road and your projectile cannot cross a fence line.

Or why no outrage over the beating that woman took in New Jersey from a home invasion.

davemuzz
    Stang,

Sorry to have jumped all over you. I think I needed a few beers before I started reading post yesterday!!! Yeah, here in Pa. our land really isn't all that flat. You have to work hard to find a place to shoot a groundhog at 700 yards or better. And usually that's a hillside to hillside shot. And in the valley between is a public road.

But then, a hunter has to be careful. If he shoots over private property (his bullet passes over private property) which #1 is posted and #2 he does not have permission to hunt, then the hunter has committed a trespass. It happens!!

Dave

Basic Member
    Stang,

But then, a hunter has to be careful. If he shoots over private property (his bullet passes over private property) which #1 is posted and #2 he does not have permission to hunt, then the hunter has committed a trespass. It happens!!

Dave
    now that i was not aware of.
    i can tell you that happens all the time and it happens very openly.
    apperently law enforcment either dosent know that or its not enforced.
    technicly you should have written permission from the landowner.
    that dosent happen much either.
    most of the law enforcment has grown to (accept) long range hunting.
    fact is though many dislike it and wouldnt hesitate to pinch someone
    given an oppurtunity.

hickhall
    i have a vx3 cds with a custom dial matching the hand load 95 vmax for varmints and one for the the 120 tsx for deer so you range it dial it and do your part it is very consistent

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hickhall View Post
    i have a vx3 cds with a custom dial matching the hand load 95 vmax for varmints and one for the the 120 tsx for deer so you range it dial it and do your part it is very consistent
    that boy could kill one at twice that distance, he just dosent know that yet.
    dont get all warm and fuzzy with your dial. at some point it will dissapoint you
    and your mind will have to take charge. the knobs on the other hand never fail.

stangfish
    I would be proud of that boy.

Basic Member
    Stang,

Dave
    Not THAT is weird. So that is assuming the landowner now has rights to the airspace above his property, and if he does, how high up? If no specified limit, than do aircraft have to get permission to trespass? The first law makes sense especially shooting across a canyon. You might be 500ft above a road with ZERO change of danger to autos. But if someone else owns the road, you need trespass rights to shoot through his air?

I wonder how the FAA views that, being a retired Air Traffic Controller, I find that part VERY interesting. I would bet you could beat that in court real easy, especially when you tell the FAA, and the airlines and private aircraft owners association, they should be paying every landowner in PA trespass fee when they overfly.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I wonder how the FAA views that, being a retired Air Traffic Controller, I find that part VERY interesting. I would bet you could beat that in court real easy, especially when you tell the FAA, and the airlines and private aircraft owners association, they should be paying every landowner in PA trespass fee when they overfly.
    For obvious reasons, Airlines have exemptions on this. In addition, I know at least here in Pa., if a private airplane is flying low enough (Buzzing someone) that you can see the planes numbers with the naked eye, you can report this to the FAA.

One other interesting item here in Pa., the PGC (Penn. Game Commission) allows hunters to shoot across a public road as long as the travel of the bullet is high enough to not endanger anyone traveling the public road.

Dave

stangfish
    This from the Texas Fishing and Hunting Regulations

Page 60

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._2013_2014.pdf

Restricted Methods

• It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engagingin recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from theowner of any land crossed by the projectile.