Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo Alert

Downunderimfire

Prep'n for the Zombie PD apocalypse?

Basic Member

17 WSM ammo alert

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Hi Irish. Went to the local County Fair last Sunday. The gf and I overheard a really loud redneck type, bragging he has 70,000 rounds of .22 lr 'stockpiled'. That's 140 bricks, yeah, right......
    I "almost" told him that they sell it at Gander Mtn, WM, etc. I suppose he was one of those people trying to flip it and make some $.
    Who the heck 'needs' 70,000 rounds?
    Just stupid, IMHO. ha ha

ron
    Amazing. That would be over $10,000 tied up in ammo. Who can do that? I am a technology professional/engineer and cannot afford to do such things. Maybe I should invest my retirement funds into ammo?, lol. Come to think of it, if I had done that 15 yrs ago, it would have performed better than the market. Maybe our redneck friend is onto something. A terrorist attack proof and recession proof investment strategy. Not the greatest liquidity but...

Some of my close friends in WV say that when the local Walmart gets 22lr shipments there are people lined up to buy all of it and they take it straight to the flea markets and flip it for profit. It still seems that if such BS was raising primary demand for the stores, they would simply order more volume and the manufacturers would ramp up production to meet the demand. I am not seeing that kind of market response. Maybe the time delay is too long, maybe they do not believe the demand is sustainable. in my work, I work on ways to enhance production output without massive capital investments, by eliminating the constraints in the production lines. If I were Winchester/Remington/Federal/Lapua, et al, I would be working those techniques 24/7 to put out more ammo. If I were Walmart/Cabelas/GM, etc, I would be adding new suppliers such as RWS, Wolf, Lapua from overseas to fill in the gap. At least the 17WSM supply seems to be improving slightly here. Not sure if it is temporary or not yet. I have enough ammo to last the winter now but want to include my 17 WSM in a planned prairie dog hunt next year and we usually want 500 rds/gun for those trips. So, over time, I am hoping to stock up on the 20g variety. It has been harder to find here.

Irish

n4ue
    Hi Irish, excellent response. When I was an Engineer with IBM/Lexmark, it would infuriate me when I would come up with a different way of doing repairs or writing manuals.
    The response from the 'old farts' was "We CAN't do it that way!"
    When I would ask "why not?" The answer was always"
    "Because we've ALWAYS done it THIS way". Great answer, right? ha ha

I was at a nearby Academy Sporting Goods store today and picked up another 4 boxes of 20 gr. I bought 4 boxes 2 weeks ago. I bought 4 more today and they still had some left. They have never seen a gun......
    The counter guy said that ammo was still left from their initial shipment several months ago......
    Several lgs have the 25 gr, which I now realize my rifle prefers! ha ha

I sure would like to see a poll of which ammo different guns like...
    May have to start a new thread.....

ron

I too was at Academy Sporting Goods store yesterday and they had around 20 boxes of 20gr and I asked the counter person what was the limit on these and he told me "none...buy them all if you want them" I guess that is true for 17 wsm and not all the others because there's still a 3 box limit per caliber!!

I've been reading another thread here on reviews on this rifle.....hope my new purchase does better then what I have read!
    Will report back after a range trip in the next day or two.

5. 11-19-2013, 02:38 AM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Solicitation outside of classifieds

outback andy
    You can't go wrong with a 93 series, I have it in the .22 Mag and put a nice Boyds stock on it and I couldn't be more happy with it..

Crockett
    Gander mountain has 25gr in stock, grabbed some this am.

Basic Member
    Thanks Crockett, just ordered me a few boxes.

wtkshooter
    Do you guys order online? What are the shipping costs?

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by wtkshooter View Post
    Do you guys order online? What are the shipping costs?
    yes...shipping is free if you spend over $50 dollars @ Gander mountain.

wtkshooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    yes...shipping is free if you spend over $50 dollars @ Gander mountain.
    Thank you Sir.

rsh4364
    I found they were listed in centerfire section...

Yankee
    ^^Good call!

I looked in Rimfire, saw the 20gr and they were sold out.

For whatever reason the 25gr is in Centerfire.

Thanks for the info

6 boxes on the way thanks guys.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Well apparently I will not be getting they ammo after all, Gander MTM just sent me an email saying, they will not ship to MA, god I have got to get out of this state.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Well apparently I will not be getting they ammo after all, Gander MTM just sent me an email saying, they will not ship to MA, god I have got to get out of this state.

Dean
    you live in mass and didn't know that? I refuse to buy anything from bass pro since they decided to come to your libtard location!

I just moved here a couple months ago.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I just moved here a couple months ago.
    Sorry for your loss.

doug-goodall
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymaster View Post
    Hello,
    Please post where you have found or seen 17 WSM ammo for sale.
    Midway, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Natchez, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sportsman Warehouse, all did not have any as of 1:00 pm today.
    PLEASE HELP!
    There are a number of lots of 17WSM ammo listed right now on gunbroker.com. Prices vary, but there are several thousand rounds available. I just bought a B-MAG and was starting to dispare until I found these.

danjurista
    Found 17wsm 25 grain in Dick's in Wilkes-Barre Pa. this morning for 15.99 a box bought 4 boxes and had a 10.00 off . Ammo ended up being 14.30 a box and will get another 10.00 next time I spend 50.00 you get 4 boxes for 57.20. I don't have any issues finding 17 wsm , Dicks or Wal-Mart in Northeast Pa.

n4ue
    To the op that lives in "tax-achusettes". I was born there and grew up there, and it's now a great place to be from. FAR away from. ha ha

The local (Jax. Fl) Academy store had a bunch of it for sale. However, considering this POS rifle, it may soon be for sale as well as all the 20 and 25 gr ammo I have acquired.

I'll stick with my M25 .17 Hornet.........

ron

joe m
    My first post, FYI cabelas.com just updated as having wsm in stock, I ordered one box to sight in my 2 month old B mag that has been awaiting ammo
    What scope should I put on this gun for shooting sage rats at 200 to 300 yards? 4-16x50 or a 6-24x50
    thanks guys!

Basic Member
    got a 8-32x50 to put on my HB when I get it back from Savage, got a 6-24x42 on my sporter B-mag

could not post earlier but the big C had the 20 grainers again today, out now that's twice in a week so keep your eyes open

bremereric
    Ha Ha. Sunday I shot more than 75 rounds. I found four boxes of 20 grain at Carter's Country. I bought two at 17.00 before we shot. They moved 2 move boxes out to replace the two that I bought. So I bought two more before we left. There was another lady at the counter.

Dang it. I haven't seen any locally. And only see it at $1 a round online.

Jim

joe m
    Tuesdays and wed cabalas often has it active, I see its currently sold out but hang in there.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast