Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo Alert

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Just joshing you, of course. I'd be ashamed to tell you what I paid for one box of 20 gr .17 WSM boolits, (on GB) a couple of days before my gun showed up. And I'm an old fart who doesn't much care what other people think.
    My LGS has just received a shipment of powder and primers. He always has .17 WSM 25 gr only. He has the 20 gr on order. He has a couple of 8 lb jugs of IMR4198. Sticker price? ONLY $175 which is in line with what the sellers on the internet charge, so he's NOT ripping people off.....

Every time I go to Wally World, I ask the guy in sporting goods:

"Hi. I DON'T want any, I just want to know HOW often you are asked about .22 lr" He says at least once per hour. I always tell him:

"Tell them to drive to Gander Mtn, in Valdosta. They have .22 lr by the SKID". I didn't even buy any on the last trip...Some small LGS have 22 lr now, but it's high!!

ron
    I've been looking for small rifle magnum primers but haven't been about to find them. It is no biggie, I have more than enough 204 factory stuff right now but I would like to load a few rounds to see how they compare.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Kart97
    If your in western Massachusetts... The Dicks store had a bunch of 17 WSM... But no 17 Hmr

Basic Member

17WSM ammo

I usually stop at any sporting goods location seeking to find 17WSM. None of my local Walmarts have ever had it. Last week, I strolled into Sportsmans Warehouse and they had 25boxes of the 25g ammo. The week before, all their ammo was limited to only one box per customer. So, I picked up a box and asked one of the clerks if it was limited to only one box? He said "Nope" you can have as much as you want. I almost bought it all but decided that being a pig was wrong, so I purchased only the amount I plan to shoot this season. Four boxes. Man, I sure hope that I do not end up regretting that decision, lol. This is only the 2nd store to have any 17ammo at all since I bought the B-mag.

Now with extra ammo in hand, I get to take my son to the range for some tgt shooting. He is bringing his Marlin .22WMR. We will let you know who shot the smallest group later.

Irish

Basic Member
    You should have bought more Irish. I stopped worrying about what other's ammo wants and needs are for a few reasons. Obviously no one worries about me. Then when I actually had some ammo, 9mm, that I wanted to be rid of and not lose money on I had the hardest time getting rid of it. One local idiot online offered me $40 for the 3 boxes I had CASH he said. I wrote back and explained that I wasn't sure if I wanted cash but that I was looking for rock sand pebbles. Then I asked him what year he thought he was living in because I can't remember when 9mm sold for $13.33/bx locally. You see it in most gun shops guys whining they can't get the ammo they "need" but when it is offered to them with a fir price they have to think about it.

So I decided I will buy what I can afford and as much as I can get away with and if one of my friends needs some I will help out but unfortunately I feel I must look out for myself.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Basic Member

Range closed

Quote Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post
    Now with extra ammo in hand, I get to take my son to the range for some tgt shooting. He is bringing his Marlin .22WMR. We will let you know who shot the smallest group later.

Irish
    Son and I traveled to our local shooting range this weekend to enjoy our time together. The range is a public facility located in our local National Forest. It is un-manned fee based site. We were stunned to find that the road was blocked with a barricade and a sign stating that the range was closed due to the federal government shutdown. WTF???

We chose to exercise our rights to civil disobedience and crossed the barricade anyway. Soon after we began shooting, a hunter (dressed in Forest Service jacket) walked by and shouted to us that the range was closed and our car would be confiscated if "They" catch us there. Can they do that?

I finally get some ammo and now the government closed my range. What next?

Irish

n4ue
    Irish, I feel your pain. As a Vietnam Vet, I've been shocked about the things that have happened to this great country.

Homeowner's Association suing a crippled Marine Vet for putting a flag in his yard.
    Going to the grocery store and watching the fat chick in front of me covered in 'bling' using the ole' EBT card to pay for her junk food....
    Watching the ********** in WalMart crusing around on the power scooters while they yak on and on, with the 'Obama phones'.....

Coming home from my part-time job (I'm 67) and watching the thugs creeping around the my neighborhood looking for something to .... Ah, forget about it. Just pisses me off more! ha ha

ron
    Last edited by J.Baker; 10-16-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Rule Violation - Inappropriate Language

Basic Member
    I saw where Vets marched on Washington last week and stacked the barricades in front of the Whitehouse gates. Hooah! That is the spirit. Since I am now well supplied with 17WSM ammo, I plan to invade one of the National Forests to poach some squirrels from the King's herd, lol. Maybe, I can round up a band of merry men to join me?? Where is Robin Hood when we need him?, lol.

Irish

n4ue
    Hi Irish. Yeah, if the 'king' was smart, he would have gone to the WWII memorial and cut the barricade tape. Even the Republicans would have cheered him on.
    Hey, poach a couple of tree rats fer me!

ron

Basic Member
    Well, I fired one shot and bagged one squirrel. Used the 17HMR today. Saw two more but not in position to fire, (too far/too fast, etc). The poaching was mighty sparse and then it rained !@#$%^&*. Apparently, I am not the only poacher in the Royal US National Forest, lol. Fortunately, none of the King's horsemen attempted to thwart my evil deed. They were out hunting, or fishing or otherwise occupied.

Me thinks I need to relocate to private lands in order to find more game. While is is great sport to jump the barricades and plunder the National Forest, the better hunting is still elsewhere.

Irish

Dancing on the edge of being political here guys, just sayin.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

n4ue
    Whoops, sorry about that.....
    Irish, as far as hunting on public versus private land.....
    A long time ago when I lived in Ky, I drew a deer permit on a part of the Dan'l Boone National Forest that had been closed for years. You were not even allowed to scout before opening day. Well, I soon realized there were WAY more guys in the area than I was comfortable being around. I pulled out my tropo map and spotted two peaks way off in the distance. I got there and there were bucks everywhere. I snagged a nice 7 pointer. Never saw another guy. It seems 95% of the guys never went 100 yards from the road!
    The spot I found, was so far from the road, I had to hide my gun and go back later to fetch it. I barely made it out b4 dark. I didn't realize it until the buck was hanging in my garage the next day, (there was a tarp under him), he was shedding a ton of huge ticks.... Poor thing. Still tasted good.... Biologist told me not to worry.....
    Now, I am the 'fish and game coordinator' for my buddies 1000 acres here in Fl. Every year, we have to throw about 6 guys off the land, despite a LOT of POSTED and NO HUNTING signs!
    Last month, they actually stole a barricade we made and cut a length of aircraft cable to get in.

ron

Seph817
    I've been seeing 17 wsm at Academy in Spartanburg and Greenville regularly. When I bought my B-Mag, Academy in Greenville had about 30 boxes of 20 gr. Yesterday, Academy in Spartanburg had over 10. I haven't even seen a sticker for it at any Walmart around here, though. They have it in the system for $14.77 a box.

n4ue
    Hi thanks for the heads up about Academy. There are 3 stores near Jax, Florida. May try to visit them this weekend. Love to get another box or so of the 20 gr.
    I asked the Sporting Goods Mgr of the local 'Wally World Superstore' to scan my box of .17 WSM and it came up as a "not in the system"......Hope springs eternal! Maybe someday.....
    Although they don't have any .22 lr (I don't need any, just curious), they are really getting in the handgun ammo! A new, LGS has 500 rd bricks of .22 lr for $27, which is an encouraging sign.

ron

Seph817
    I cut the bar code off one of my boxes and took it into Walmart. I scanned it on a price checker. However, they don't and will probably never carry it there. They said something about needing a special license to sell 17 caliber ammo. They also looked it up for me and no Walmart within 150 miles of me has it in stock. Lucky for me about Academy, then. I hope your local Academy carries it! I really want this caliber to stick around. (:

n4ue
    Hi. Pecking away at the PC, I got a 'product arrival notice' from Midway on the 20 gr .17 WSM. I replied in less than 5 minutes and it was already sold out.
    WTH?

I would love to know how much they got in..........

ron

Ed Gordon
    Ron, Sorry you couldn't pick up some ammo.... I just got back from Wallymart and they had 1200 rounds on the shelf. I bought 3 boxes and just came inside from shooting a box. I had a bad scope and picked up a new scope so I had to get it sighted in. I'm back in business now. I am still on the fence about Redfield scopes. Maybe I just got a lemon.

n4ue
    Hi Ed. OK on Wally World...... I did find some 20 gr ammo, 'semi' local. Now it appears that my B Mag likes the 25 gr stuff better! grrrr.....

I need to take a survey to see how many folks have tried both weights and which shoots better. I also want to weigh each type to see if one is more consistent........

ron

(Moderator's note: Moved the portion of the post about scopes to the optics section and started new thread.)
    Last edited by thomae; 11-01-2013 at 02:43 PM.

jtltetmt

17 wsm ammo

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Hi Ed. OK on Wally World...... I did find some 20 gr ammo, 'semi' local. Now it appears that my B Mag likes the 25 gr stuff better! grrrr.....

I need to take a survey to see how many folks have tried both weights and which shoots better. I also want to weigh each type to see if one is more consistent........

ron

(Moderator's note: Moved the portion of the post about scopes to the optics section and started new thread.)
    I have 350 rounds of the .17 wsm ammo in the 20gr, 3,000fps with the polymer tip. I am willing to sell it all or by the box if anyone is interested. I bought it for my father-in-law but he had already found some without my knowledge so I need to sell this. I will sell it for what I paid which is $27 per box of 50 plus S&H. Send me an email to jtltetmt@gmail.com if interested. Thanks

M109R
    I have just scored quite a bit of 17 WSM from WM.

regal7point5
    Quote Originally Posted by M109R View Post
    I have just scored quite a bit of 17 WSM from WM.
    If anybody is in the Richmond, VA area, there was some 17WSM at the Walmart in Powhatan...about 6 boxes. I don't own a B-mag, just looking out for some folks!

n4ue
    regal7.5, thanks for helpin' folks out!

The WMs around here, don't have the .17 WSM but they are getting back to normal, with the rest of the different calibers.
    Yesterday morning, they were putting out .22 lr. Haven't seen .22 lr in WM for almost a year......

ron

Basic Member

17 WSM ammo alert

Supply of 17 WSM seems to be getting better. I found it in two locations today and it was the only two places I bothered to look. Bud's in Lex had about 8 boxes of 25g (I bought 2), and my local Wally World had it for the first time in both 25g and 20g. Looked like 7-8 boxes of each. Yowsser. I also found 22lr, 22 WMR, and 17 HMR on the shelves at Buds (nothing at WM). It is funny that I have found centerfire ammo everywhere but rimfire has been scarce??

Irish

outback andy
    I,m thinking they make more money on centerfire ammo so they are making that first then the rimfire..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outback andy View Post
    I,m thinking they make more money on centerfire ammo so they are making that first then the rimfire..
    If that was true, why only now has it become a scarce commodity? There seems to be something driving large numbers of the population to hoard small caliber ammo. I mean in a dire emergency, one could still hunt with 223. I just wonder what is going on? They have to be making money on rimfire ammo. With demand up (I assume), there should be a profit motive to meet the demand. If not by existing suppliers, then others would enter the market. Right? Or are our markets so !@#$ed up as to make market entry undesirable? I do not get it.

Irish

n4ue
    Hi Irish. Went to the local County Fair last Sunday. The gf and I overheard a really loud redneck type, bragging he has 70,000 rounds of .22 lr 'stockpiled'. That's 140 bricks, yeah, right......
    I "almost" told him that they sell it at Gander Mtn, WM, etc. I suppose he was one of those people trying to flip it and make some $.
    Who the heck 'needs' 70,000 rounds?
    Just stupid, IMHO. ha ha

ron

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast