Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo Alert

n4ue

Hi Frank. I have read several times that the 25 gr is common east of the Mississippi, and 20 gr is common in the west.......
    The one box of 20 gr bullets I have, came from Gun Broker, for more $ than I care to discuss! ha ha

I had a thought (oh no) the other day. I wonder if Winchester would ever offer the .17 WSM primered brass and let us add our own powder and bullets?
    I load .17 HH and these are not much smaller. Using the Hornady dies with that cool 'drop down' seating sleeve, it would be easy.

Naw, never mind..... ha ha

ron

maximo
    Hi Ron,

The 20 Gr ammo I did find was at Bass Pro in Mantica and over a couple of weeks I did get 12 boxes. I paid $15.99 per box and 4 per day was the limit when I bought them. As I said before that amount of ammo will only last about a day and a half on a good weekend. I also take a Savage 93R17-FVSS in 17HMR and a Magnum Research MLR-1722M in 22 Magnum. That way I know we can hunt all weekend and have enough ammo by changing rifles. My Grandson shoots a Savage 17HMR. Lots of 17HMR ammo on the shelfs.

Frank

Ed Gordon
    Well got an email notice from Midway that .17WSM was in stock in 20 and 25gr. Checked their site about 45 minutes after email arrived and they are sold out. I guess the good news is the cartridge seems to have some popularity and Savage must be selling a good number of the new rifles. I am good on ammo so I hope some of you folks here were able to score a few boxes. I wonder how may boxes they had in stock?

sparky123321
    I didn't even get the notification. Was just doing a little browsing and was shocked when I saw they were in stock. I grabbed 5 boxes and then they were out of stock. Not sure how many they had to start.

Basic Member
    At least ammo is being shipped from time to time. I missed the alert until this morning and that was way too late. I have about two boxes of each and that is sufficient for hunting this fall.

Irish

Zinzrah
    25gr in stock at Cabellas now. 1 box limit

maximo
    Zinzrah,

I called Cabelas about 2 hours ago about the 17 cal ammo. The add shows Winchester 17 Super Magnum but if you scroll down to the order info you will see it says " Winchester 17 Short Magnum" in 25 gr. They do not have any Winchester 17 Super Magnum. I bet some one will order and get the wrong ammo.

Frank

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Zinzrah,

I called Cabelas about 2 hours ago about the 17 cal ammo. The add shows Winchester 17 Super Magnum but if you scroll down to the order info you will see it says " Winchester 17 Short Magnum" in 25 gr. They do not have any Winchester 17 Super Magnum. I bet some one will order and get the wrong ammo.

Frank
    I ordered 10 boxes of the "short magnum" and received what we all want 17WSM. Go for it.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

maximo
    I called Cabelas back and asked them to check what ammo they realy had and they gave me a fellow who checks the adds and he said the 17 Short Magnum was a miss print they did have the 17 Super Magnum 25 grain. They would only let me order one box but i did get free shipping for the one box of 25 grain.

Frank

Zinzrah
    Yea i checked my order and it says .17 win super mag on it. 1 box limit is stupid. 2 would be reasonable imo

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzrah View Post
    Yea i checked my order and it says .17 win super mag on it. 1 box limit is stupid. 2 would be reasonable imo
    I won't order 17WSM if the limit is less than 5. When I order from Cabella they charge me tax and shipping so it is at least like paynig for an additional box. Same with Midway but I order enough from them to offset the shipping cost.

Ed Gordon
    I picked up 3 more boxes of 20gr. from Wallymart tonight. If you get near one (unless you live on Jupiter or Mars) it is worth stopping in to check. They have the best price I have seen. Of course it took 15 minutes to get someone to come unlock it from the cabinet for me...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    I called Cabelas back and asked them to check what ammo they realy had and they gave me a fellow who checks the adds and he said the 17 Short Magnum was a miss print they did have the 17 Super Magnum 25 grain. They would only let me order one box but i did get free shipping for the one box of 25 grain.

Frank
    Maximo,
    Barnwood Arms had 9 boxes of 17 WSM ammo on the shelf at about 10:45 this AM. Don't know what weight bullet or how many boxes you can buy. Good luck! Mike

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gordon View Post
    I picked up 3 more boxes of 20gr. from Wallymart tonight. If you get near one (unless you live on Jupiter or Mars) it is worth stopping in to check. They have the best price I have seen. Of course it took 15 minutes to get someone to come unlock it from the cabinet for me...
    It amazes me that some Walmarts have the 17WSM ammo and others not only do not have it but have never had it. I have been to at least 12 Wallyworlds in KY, WV and OH and none of them have had 17WSM and most look at me like I am from Mars when I ask about it. All but one have not had 17HMR. At least some of the clerks are gun enthusiasts and knew what I was asking for, but said they cannot get any 17 rimfire ammo. I always thought that Walmart's inventory system was very "Smart" and would shift hunting related stock (and other seasonal merchandise) to the regions where it was most likely to sell. I have notice that the day after opening day of deer season here in KY, all of the hunting items disappear (not from sales) and reappear in WV whose deer gun season is usually 1-2 weeks later in the year. I wonder if the extreme lack of rimfire ammo availability has fouled up their system. Example: Since a store has not logged any 17HMR sales in the last 4 months, the computer "Assumes" that there is no demand for that item in that region and stops ordering it?? I can only hope that I am wrong. I did see that last night my local Wallyworld had a large stock of 22LR, 22short and 22mag ammo, all of which have been in ZERO supply since about May. Maybe we will get 17's next week?

I did order my "1-box ration" of 17WSM from Cabelas and got a confirmation. I do not like buying one-box of ammo like this on-line since the shipping cost per round is about as high as it possibly could be. If I had been thinking, I would have bought ammo for my HMR and my .270 while I was at it but I was so intent on getting the WSM's before they ran out that I did not think of that until about 10 minutes later (doh!).

Irish

Ed Gordon
    Spotted about a dozen boxes of 25gr. ad Dicks Sporting goods today. I didn't get any since I need to try the box I have and see if it changes my point of impact since I sighted the scope in with 20gr. I'll try that tomorrow. I now poi changes inches with my .243 with different bullet weights.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gordon View Post
    Spotted about a dozen boxes of 25gr. ad Dicks Sporting goods today. I didn't get any since I need to try the box I have and see if it changes my point of impact since I sighted the scope in with 20gr. I'll try that tomorrow. I now poi changes inches with my .243 with different bullet weights.

My local DSG where I bought my B.Mag has yet to receive any WSM or another B.Mag and I bought that on July 3.

danjurista
    I found 5 boxws of 17wsm 25 grain today in a dicks in northest pa. They haven't got any guns yet. I found 5 boxes of 20 grain in a local walmart last week. Got a b mag at that same walmart for 297.00 walmart ammo was 14.77 a box dicks was 15.99 a box .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danjurista View Post
    I found 5 boxws of 17wsm 25 grain today in a dicks in northest pa. They haven't got any guns yet. I found 5 boxes of 20 grain in a local walmart last week. Got a b mag at that same walmart for 297.00 walmart ammo was 14.77 a box dicks was 15.99 a box .
    Do you mean Northeast the town on in the North East of PA?

danjurista
    Northeast pa. Wilkes-Barre - hazelton area.

Basic Member
    Oh, North Eastern PA. Whether you know it or not there is a town called Northeast in Erie County PA just before the New York state line.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    My local DSG where I bought my B.Mag has yet to receive any WSM or another B.Mag and I bought that on July 3.
    Well 2 nights ago I was in my local DSG buying one of the exclusive heavy barrel Mark II rifles and I saw they had 10 boxes of WSM ammo. They would only allow me 3 boxes. Last night my son, his buddy and I bought the remaining 7. So I am back up to 500 rounds 25 grain and 234 rounds of 20 grain vmax. Now to buy another B.Mag.

n4ue
    Gee, now I know why there's no ammo available. ha ha

If I had it to over again, I wouldn't buy a BMag. I picked up the case that mine is in the other day and thought it was empty. Yea, light is good, sometimes.

In my 'humble' opinion, they should have just redesigned the 93R17 TR. It's 4X the gun of the BMag.....
    Just my opinion, flame suit ON!

ron

Basic Member
    I am sure I have no effect on ammo supply in Florida LOL. I also know that locally up until September there had only been a small handful of B.Mag sales in local shops. Now internet sales, well that might be different. I do know that at least one of the local gun shops sold one of the 6 (the number they claimed to have had) B.Mags over Gun Broker.

Its not like I am sucking up 22LR, 22mag or other popular rim fire rounds. In the case of this cartridge I am doing what I think is safe and that is assuring that I have the ammo to support the rifle into the future. Right, wrong or indifferent I am looking out for myself in that aspect. I think though that this round has staying power but ultimately it will depend on who makes the next rifles chambered in the round and if Winnie lets others manufacture the round.

n4ue
    Just joshing you, of course. I'd be ashamed to tell you what I paid for one box of 20 gr .17 WSM boolits, (on GB) a couple of days before my gun showed up. And I'm an old fart who doesn't much care what other people think.
    My LGS has just received a shipment of powder and primers. He always has .17 WSM 25 gr only. He has the 20 gr on order. He has a couple of 8 lb jugs of IMR4198. Sticker price? ONLY $175 which is in line with what the sellers on the internet charge, so he's NOT ripping people off.....

Every time I go to Wally World, I ask the guy in sporting goods:

"Hi. I DON'T want any, I just want to know HOW often you are asked about .22 lr" He says at least once per hour. I always tell him:

"Tell them to drive to Gander Mtn, in Valdosta. They have .22 lr by the SKID". I didn't even buy any on the last trip...Some small LGS have 22 lr now, but it's high!!

ron

Zinzrah
    25gr in stock cabellas. 1 box max....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast