Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo Alert

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Barnwood Arms ammo gone when I called at 2:25 pm. Fri 8-23-13

Frank
    Jeez Frank - hoping you would see my find at Barnwood Arms but didn't think the ammo would all be gone. My brother said that there were 2 full cases (bricks) of 17 WSM behind the 4 boxes I saw. Mike

MattB
    Just picked up my new B Mag today at Herb Bauers in Fresno Ca. They have plenty of .17 WSM ammo for $17.99 a box. No limit. I bought 5 boxes for now.

maximo
    MattB,
    What grain is their ammo?

Frank

MattB
    20grain

Zinzrah
    Just walked out of walmart with more ammo. There were 12 boxes left of 20 gr. Walmart in Jesup GA.

Keystone Kid
    I found 8 boxes of 20 gr in a little sporting good shop in Silver City, NM-------bot it all-----the reamer job on my 17HMR New England is complete and I could not be more pleased with a new heavy barrel, single shot 17 WSM----it is prairie dog deadly at 200yds-----coyotes and jackrabbits don't have a chance if I do my job-------thanks----K

Basic Member
    Glad to hear that others are still finding ammo. That means there is still hope, lol. I just searched every Walmart, gun store and pawn shop in the Ashland, KY/Southern, OH area yesterday and found nothing. Tried five locations in South Central Ohio last week, nada. Really want to go to the range but hate to shoot up my last box in one day.

Irish

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone Kid View Post
    I found 8 boxes of 20 gr in a little sporting good shop in Silver City, NM-------bot it all-----the reamer job on my 17HMR New England is complete and I could not be more pleased with a new heavy barrel, single shot 17 WSM----it is prairie dog deadly at 200yds-----coyotes and jackrabbits don't have a chance if I do my job-------thanks----K
    So all you did was ream the chamber and the firing pin hits correctly?
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Keystone Kid
    plinkin------for the most part yes----the firing pin works fine------we had trepidations going into this project about the firing pin, hammer spring pressure, chamber pressure and extractor--------we got lucky, however the simplicity of the action and lack of moving parts helped a great deal-------any other type of action would have its own problems------the only other work needed was because the larger case put additional pressure on the extractor/ejector and it had to be slightly relieved with a small dremel grinder wheel in order to function properly-------this proved to be easy as the extractor has plenty of meat -------I'm having a few issues with the action locking when closed up -------sometimes it seems I sometimes have to slam it shut to get it to lock--------but it had the same problem when it was a 17HMR------I will work on it--------a buddy is having his New England 17 Mach 2 done as we speak-------I looking for a 17 rimfire bbl to ream out for my TC contender------if you want more info on the reamer or my smith----send me a pm-----this new round is too cool-----I really like being able to hold crosshair near the top of a beer can and hit it solid at 200yds and still going so fast that the can rarely moves-------look out little varmints-------K

n4ue
    Zinzrah, do you have a wally world sku for the .17 WSM ammo? I looked at the Jessup, Ga WalMart ammo listing and they have NOTHING concerning .WSM.
    Also I have looked at my local SuperStore and other WalMarts and found NO indication they ever had any....

Just trying to figger out how this one store could get something no other store has ever had.... I thought they had corporate buyers....

huh?

ron

Zinzrah
    I dont. But when i left there was still 12 boxes left

Basic Member
    None of my Walmarts in KY, OH or WV have had the .17WSM. I just made a trip to WV to do coyotes and checked every Walmart along the way as well as a local Gander Mtn and Cabela's store and a few smaller gun and pawn shops. They all laughed at me. They have not had it, and do not know when they will get it. I have a local independent store who has had it and claims to be getting shipments about every two weeks. He offered to call me when it arrives. Good man. He will be getting more of my business....

Irish

Basic Member
    I know when I bought my 1st box of WSM 25gr I took it around to show some of the local shops. I thought I would take it in to my local Walmart to see if they have received any and I missed it. They said it didn't look familiar but I had them scan it and it came up $14.97 .
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

n4ue
    Plinkin, that's a great idea about the scanning! Now if I can just get into the store without getting arrested... ha ha

I went to my LGS (well, semi local) this AM to look around. He had several boxes of the 25 gr. I asked when he might get the 20 gr and said:
    "it's on order. I received NO rimfire ammo this week"...........
    When I told him about the 2 pallets of .22 lr at Gander Mtn, he replied he could sell a pallet himself if he could get it.
    BTW, he's a great guy and has never raised his prices on anything during the whole 'shortage' BS....
    His guns are priced below WalMart, too.

ron

Ed Gordon
    Walmart in Central IL carries the WSM ammo. Only had about 9 boxes. They had one Bmag rifle which I grabbed! I have also seen the ammo at a smaller local store but they want $20 a box so I passed.

Added - 5 of the 6 boxes I got are 20gr and I noticed the sixth is 25gr. So I get to try out both by accident.
    Last edited by Ed Gordon; 09-05-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: add info.

Basic Member
    I have had my B-mag for about a month but still cannot find anymore ammo for it. !@#$%^&* arrrrg. Getting very tired of looking. It seems like such a crap shoot to find. My local Walmarts do not even acknowledge that it is available. I am seriously considering the purchase of a 17HMR to give me something to do for the next 6-8 months while Winchester gets their $#!# together. If other ammo makers were allowed to produce the ammo, it would be a big help. At least I can find the HMR's close to home without much effort.

This ammo situation here in the USA is distressing. There seems to be no shortage in other parts of the world. Here we are importing Russian ammo to fill our needs. What is going on???

Irish

17. 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Politics

18. 09-07-2013, 10:43 AM

Reason

19. 09-07-2013, 07:02 PM
    Reason

20. 09-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Reason

21. 09-07-2013, 09:34 PM
    Reason

22. 09-11-2013, 03:48 AM
    Reason
    Rule #7 Violation - Publically challenging the authority of the admin/moderators of this site.

Basic Member
    Well, I bought an HMR to tide me over for a while plus 300 rds of ammo. Love it. But the WSM is more fun to shoot. At least for me, there will be no more WSM range sessions until I do find more ammo. I have about 30rds left which are all reserved for hunting. I will use the 17HMR for my tgt practice.

Ed Gordon
    Irish - the HMR is a great round. I am finding Hornady or Winchester ammo in abundance for $12.99 a box. I scored 4 more boxes of .17WSM today. Paid a little to much compared to Walmart prices but want to build up a decent amount before I shoot too much more up.
    What HMR rifle did you get? I have the Savage 93/17 in camo. Heavier than the Bmag and accurate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gordon View Post
    Irish - the HMR is a great round. What HMR rifle did you get? I have the Savage 93/17 in camo. Heavier than the Bmag and accurate.
    I got the Sav 93R - BRJ, the one with the fluted heavy bbl in blue steel and the laminated stock that is in what I call "Fall Colors", like tan, grey, burgundy. It looks great, shoots like a dream and unlike the 17WSM, I can find ammo for it, lol. Taking it to WV this weekend to snipe at squirrels and maybe a few coyotes (more likely to use the 17WSM or 223 on the yodel dogs). We have plenty of squirrels here in KY too, but I always hunt deer in WV and we wanted to thin out the coyotes there to take some pressure off of the deer herd. I was there over Labor Day and one evening, we had three packs of coyotes all calling at the same time from near our farm. Seems we are about to be overrun, lol.

Irish

Basic Member
    Whoo Hoo! I just obtained three boxes of 17 WSM ammo from Strongs Gun Shop in Morehead, KY. 2x20g BT and 1x25g BT. Sorry but I was on their waiting list and bought all that was left. Just in time for our WV squirrel and coyote hunt this weekend. Life is Good...

Irish

Ed Gordon
    Glad to hear you found some ammo!

n4ue
    Hi. Went to the local (Lake City, Fl) Wally World this AM. Brought in the empty carton of .17 WSM (20 gr). Tried the self service scanner. It told me to see an Associate. Oh no!!!
    Young dude comes over and after signing on the the register, etc, etc, he replied:
    "this isn't even in our system". When I asked why some WMs have it, he just said: "not all stores carry the same stuff"...
    Hmmmmm.

ron

Ed Gordon
    Wally has it here consistently in 20gr. I finally have what I call enough....for now. Gander has a bunch but charges too much. Once again only in 20gr. Still no .22lr around here. .17hmr is all around and my current weekend round. Finding it for $12.99 a box.

n4ue
    Ed, the .22 lr situation is strange here in Florida. Every time I go to the WalMart sporting goods dept, there is someone bitc*ing about the lack of .22 lr. Some of the local, small gun stores have it now and then.
    A trip to the Valdosta, Ga. Gander Mtn. store 2 weeks ago, had the most ammo (all calibers), I have ever seen in years. They had 2 PALLETS of .22 lr on the floor. Not a lot of knuckleheads buying it by the armfull, thank goodness.
    My lgs has plenty of .17 WSM in 25 gr. I have one box of the 20 gr.

ron

maximo
    Northern California, some stores have a few boxes of 17 Super Mag in 20 gr some times but still hard to find. Have not heard of or seen any 25 grain in California.

Frank

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast