Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo Alert

guys, only a few actually have this gun, if you have the gun, just put it in the safe for a few months and you will find the ammo on sale. Hoarders are buying the limited supply or people are buying to resell on GB.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Well that is a good idea and good principle BUT that leaves more for the "hoarders & resellers". I try to buy what I figure I am going to use. I don't buy calibers that I don't own. I will share with others but I won't take a loss.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

n4ue
    I ordered 3 boxes of .17 WSM yesterday from Cabelas. That's all I'll need for a while. I don't hoard. Strangely, I got no confirmation, unlike I get immediately with Midway orders.
    So, today I called and a nice lady told me that the warehouse was sent the order and I wouldn't be billed until the ammo shipped.
    Shortly after that call, I checked my bank account and the $ had been deducted from my account.....
    I also tried to find out if more was available and indeed they don't have that # listed. Almost like they never had any...
    Gun won't be here 'till next week, anyway.
    BTW, of the 'dealers' I have spoken with in the last 6 months concerning the B Mag, a LOT have given me the Homer Simpson 'blank look'. They had no clue what I was talking about........ha ha

Strange....

ron

Poor Shot
    10:16 PM got email from Midway.com. They have .17wsm 20gr. Vmax. Limit is 5 boxes per person. I didn't see the email until after midnight. Better hurry.

00:18 AM -- Crap, they are already sold out. Nevermind.
    Last edited by Poor Shot; 08-01-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Keystone Kid
    Greetings, I'm new and will try to not make many mistakes. I came here on the trail of some 17 wsm ammunition. However, my need is somewhat different. I bought in to the hype about 17 wsm (and still do) so I asked my local gunsmith to try to find a reamer to re-chamber my extra New England 17 HMR ( that I dearly love) into 17wsm. He has a friend in the business of manufacturing reamers and he was successful in acquiring one. However, he would like a couple of rounds in his hot little hand before he starts the job------he already has several jobs lined up after mine---and I have totally failed so far in finding any-------So, my hope with this posting is that I can beg, borrow, steal, or pay an exhorbitant price for 2 or 3 rounds from a luckier, more resourceful member of this forum. I am on the Midway alert list but so far I am 'too slow'. I am willing to wait for supply to increase, but I sure would like to get this chamber job going. Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone Kid View Post
    Greetings, I'm new and will try to not make many mistakes. I came here on the trail of some 17 wsm ammunition. However, my need is somewhat different. I bought in to the hype about 17 wsm (and still do) so I asked my local gunsmith to try to find a reamer to re-chamber my extra New England 17 HMR ( that I dearly love) into 17wsm. He has a friend in the business of manufacturing reamers and he was successful in acquiring one. However, he would like a couple of rounds in his hot little hand before he starts the job------he already has several jobs lined up after mine---and I have totally failed so far in finding any-------So, my hope with this posting is that I can beg, borrow, steal, or pay an exorbitant price for 2 or 3 rounds from a luckier, more resourceful member of this forum. I am on the Midway alert list but so far I am 'too slow'. I am willing to wait for supply to increase, but I sure would like to get this chamber job going. Thanks
    Yeah I don't think that is going to work Keystone Kid. The base on the WSM is larger and I am guessing the firing pin will not strike correctly.

Different subject. I saw this on Armslist. Have at it. http://www.armslist.com/posts/196192...-17-wsm-20-grn

Keystone Kid
    Thanks for the clue-----I'm making a run at it------as for the rim-----you might be right-----we discussed that possibility but as simple as the firing mechanism is in the New England---old H&R topper type------worst case would be to enlarge the firing pin opening and modify a new pin-------or so we think------its an experiment----but I had to try------thanks again----B

Poor Shot
    20gr poly tipped .17wsm available at Cabelas as of 22:40 today.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...&destination=/

n4ue
    Already sold out.....drat!

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Already sold out.....drat!

ron
    Keep trying Ron

Zinzrah
    I managed to walk into Walmart a few days ago and all by its lonesome self was a box of High Energy 25gr. Snagged them right up lol.

also give http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/17wsm/ a try.

-Zinzrah

n4ue
    Z, thanks for the gunbot link.... Nothing there at present.
    I've heard about WalMart having .17 WSM several times now, Funny, nothing shows in their stock # listing. Every time I visit the local "Superstore" there's a customer *****in' about the lack of .22 LR ammo........
    I heard one guy complain he was "down to only 50,000 rounds" !!

ron

I remember a previous thread that stated "one" factory produced all the 17HSM ammo in the USA. A person who is a member here and works for this factory verified this. Is this still the case? They make all the 17HSM ammo for everyone, just put their labels on the containers.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Zinzrah
    I didnt expect them to have it honestly. I even commented to my gf before I walked over there that there was a small chance in hell they would have it. Needless to say I returned with a rather large smile lol.

15. 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Solicitation

Zinzrah
    I am actually in a rural area too lol. But I am heading to the doc on tuesday and I will be checking for more ammo. Will let you know.

n4ue
    This is REALLLLY off-topic, but some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen, are the pics of the "walmartians". A lady friend of mine works there and she has some great (not repeatable here) stories....... ha ha

The Sporting Goods Mgr tells me how many times / day he gets asked about .22 lr ammo. It's a LOT!!!!

ron

18. 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Reason
    Rule Violation - Solicitation

Keystone Kid
    Sir----thank you for your offer------I think it is fair-------However, I have been able to find a sufficient quantity of 17 wsm to get the reamer job going and it appears to be successful -------I will go to the target range tomorrow and find out-------my results----good--bad--or ugly-- will be relayed back to the good people I have found on savageshooters----- Thanks----Keystone

Zinzrah
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...c_id=cj3946285

20gr in stock at cabelas right now! go get em

Keystone Kid
    Well-----the first pass at the range with my newly reamed New England 17 WSM was quite a relief------after the usual getting on paper------using a Swift 4x12 scope ------then stretching out farther to get 'on' at 100 yds-----I finally ended up at about 190 yds shooting 5 shots that measured 3 1/8" between farthest holes------not too impressive but if I throw out the 1 flyer -----the remaining 4 holes all touch the same quarter------I like it-----and the drop is much as advertised------on at 100 yds------approx. 3 to 4 low at 190--------I like it a lot------also-----the Savage 93 in 17 HMR that I shot along side the 17 WSM for comparison-------measured a loose 5 shot group of about 6 " and they all were flyers--------let me know if anyone wants more details or progress reports-----My gunsmith was pretty pleased as well and wants to do more if the gun is workable----I'm now in the market for a 17 rimfire barrel we can ream for my TC Contender---Keystone

n4ue
    KK, excellent. Funny thing.... about the time the .17 WSM was announced, Midway was selling chambering reamers for the WSM. I think a lot of folks did some second guessing when they realized the firing pin need a slight modification. The WSM IS loaded to pretty high pressures, and Win said they could go higher, but decided to use 3000 fps as a 'standard'.... They also indicated (tease) that there might be .22 and .25 WSMs on the horizon. Cool, but, I'm done! I have too many 'toys' now, and I could reload/shoot for the rest of my days and still not have reached 'optimum'... ha ha

I have a couple of TC frames and a collection of bbls. Unfortunately, they are all big bore and because of wrist problems can't be used anymore. A few notables are my scoped, 14" .357 Herrett. Sweet. The 'worst' (and probably responsible for my wrist issues) is a 14" .445 Super Mag. Has the same ME as a .308 Win. NOT fun to shoot. Even in .44 Mag, it's much worse than my other .44 Mags. Yes, I do have Pach. grips.....Why did I buy it? I have a SS Dan Wesson in .445 and wanted a 'companion'. BIG mistake.
    Although I have been a TC fan since they first came out, I (personally) feel the bbls are just priced waaaaayyyy too high. Even on FleaBay, a used bbl is $250+.... I'd like to find a nice 14" .223 bbl, but.......

BTW, I took my new B-Mag to the range today. This is it's second trip. I had put on a 4-16 Weaver 'Kaspa' scope. POS.
    Today, I sighted it in with a new Redfield Revenge 6-18. This is a near perfect combo. After I zeroed it, I let my buddy shoot it. (he LOVES Redfield). He shot a 4 shot group at 50 yds that could be covered with a dime. 25 gr bullets. He doesn't like .17 cals (I have several diff .17s) but I think he's going to buy one of these.
    My boss is going to buy one also, he just doesn't know it yet!!! ha ha (I have his unlimited CC, ha ha ha)....

Good luck and if you want to know what other 'odd' TC cal bbls I have, send me a PM....

be SAFE

ron

Zinzrah
    Just an update that is on topic. For the past few days I have seen .17 WSM ammo for sale daily on Cabelas. It is usually sold out anywhere between 10 minutes and 3 hours. Id keep an eye open on it if you still need ammo. I haven't seen ANY 25gr HE ammo for sale at all. I managed to score a single box at Walmart a couple weeks ago but I guess I just got lucky. Anyways below is my ammo source searcher and it works well. You can set it up to play a nice loud sound when it finds something. Just keep it up and running and if you are there and lucky then you can score some ammo lol.

GUNBOT Real Time Ammo Stock Tracker - http://www.gunbot.net

.17 WSM Tracker link - http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/17wsm/

Cheers,

-Zinzrah

Zinzrah
    http://www.rareammo.com/catalog/prod...20c7178be99660

In stock now! 20gr. Not the best price but beats gunbroker by alot. go get em!!!!

Basic Member
    Anyone in the Tracy, Manteca, Modesto, Turlock, California area - Barnwood Arms in Ripon, Ca has 4 boxes of .17 WSM ammo. They've had them for 4 or 5-days! Sorry, don't know what bullet weight they are. Mike

maximo
    Barnwood Arms ammo gone when I called at 2:25 pm. Fri 8-23-13

Frank

maximo
    I have been on many gun forums and all over the internet. Seems that the ammo people are finding on the Western side of the country is 20 grain and the Eastern part of the country has 25 grain. I sure am wishing the 25 grain will make its way to the West. As I have said before I have 500 rounds of 20 grain that is good for one good day of squirrel hunting in Northern Calif and need more ammo for the hunt after that, would like to try the 25 grain.

Frank

Frank

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast