Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo Alert

Basic Member

17 WSM Ammo Alert

Hello,
    Please post where you have found or seen 17 WSM ammo for sale.
    Midway, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Natchez, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sportsman Warehouse, all did not have any as of 1:00 pm today.
    PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by Monkeymaster; 06-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member

Angry

OK,
    I read were Winchester had over 50 million 17 wsm rounds ready to go at the begining of June.
    Savage just released the B mag last week.
    A post on Savage Shooters had a gentleman order a box from Sportsman Warehouse last week, they are now sold out.
    A post today had a gentleman buy the last box at Cabelas somewhere ?
    Gunbroker has some dealers with 1 or 2 boxes on auction for more than $50.00 a box each.
    I see were 1 dealer is in Arizona, another in Ohio, and 1 in Missouri.
    Midway - nothing available, expected in August.
    Cabelas - nothing - not even listed on line yet that I can find, I just called them to verify, the do not have it listed.
    Sportsman Warehouse nothing listed available online.
    Bass pro - nothing listed.
    Natchez - not available at this time .
    I have been relitively calm with the 22lr, and 22 mag circus going on.
    I am now starting to believe that there are games being played on the ammo market.
    3 dealers have ammo for online auctions, and a smaller retailer had some, but none of the largest retailers have anything to ship/send out ?
    WT_? Really, Joe Smoe in Ohio can get ammo, but Cabelas and Midway can not ? Come on.
    I would really like to know how much 17 wsm ammunition Winchester has sent out, and to whom, so we all can know the "real" story.
    FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish my Dillon could reload rimfire.

Exactly why I told Savage not to bother sending me one to review until this fall.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

maximo
    Last Friday I was at the Bass Pro store in Modesto Ca. and they had 10 boxes of Winchester 17 Super Magnum , 20 gr, Polymer Tip on the shelf. They had a limit of 4 boxes per customer at $15.99 per box of 50 rounds. I bought my limit. Tomorrow I pick up my new Savage B MAG rifle I bought at a small local gun store that received 2 of the new rifles last week. He did not know when he would receive amm for the rifles.

Frank

Basic Member
    So, Bass Pro has some ammo on the shelf in select stores, but nothing for online sales ?
    How does that work ?
    I e mailed WInchester and asked for confirmation that they shipped out 17 WSM ammo.
    They replied, "Ammunition sales is propriatory information, and not for public knowledge".
    FRUSTRATING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    Called 6 different Bass Pros in Iowa and Missouri.
    Interestingly they all had 17 wsm at one time in the last 2 weeks.
    The last one I called in NE Missouri had 1 box left, but they will not ship ammunition through their store only through corporate headquarters.
    So I live chat Corporate headquarters and they will not confirm or deny that they have 17 wsm ammo, but they confirm that it is not as of yet listed in the internet/catalog sales.
    So, if you live by Bass Pro, stop in, you might get lucky.

Basic Member

Angry Great

Midway update.
    25 grn expected 8-31-13
    20 grn jhp expected 8-31-13
    20 grn v max went from expected 8-31-13 to - out of stock no backorder.
    Soooooo, this aint looking good folks.
    I expect the first two will follow suit.
    Anyone have any information from Winchester?
    Anyone from a distributor have any information?
    @%%$#@!$%&^^%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    My buddy saw some in a local shop in N.C. today and grabbed me two boxes of 25gr.......now I just need something to shoot them through.

Basic Member
    Midway update,
    25 grn 17 Winchester super magnum went from 8-31-13 expected, to out of stock , no backorders.
    !@#*)(*(^$!@$%^*&*&^$@@#$%^^&^%$#$@#$#@^%^%!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hegunshop
    The 17 WSM debacle is just another example of the Gun industry putting itself out of business. Never before or since 1976 have I ever seen such shortages of ammo or guns. I look at Midway and a box of ammos is 14.00 and because they don't have it you see it all over gunbroker for 50.00 and up a box. This kind of gouging and greed is going to keep the shooting industry as many people have just lost interest. Look at 22 ammo it is 5 times the price it used to be and yet the factories are producing a million rounds a day. I have had a FFL since 1976 and have finally decided to give it up as it is just no fun anymore worrying about can I get 22 cal in stock or not that is just crazy yet if you are willing to be raked over the coals you can buy it. I am no fool and see the hand writing on the walls we the gun owners are going to put ourselves out of business and it will not take Obama to do it. He is sitting back in his easy chair laughing at how dumb we are. We have killed the entry level gun and caliber for most young people and without the new blood we will eventually cease to exist, as who can go out and afford to target shoot for over 1.00 a round for a lot of ammo now. The horders are sucking it all up with no concern for the day to day shooters who are not worried about the end of the world but just want to target shoot a day without having to go to the bank for a mortgage to shoot a couple hundred rounds.

Basic Member
    The simple answer is folks need to just stop buying for a while. The vast majority of us have more than we can shoot in many years yet we keep gobbling up every round we see.

We are doing this to ourselves!
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    Well,
    I am not part of "we", I have not bought 22lr for about 2 years, and I as post states, I am looking to buy my 1st round of 17 wsm.
    I have had my b mag for 3 weeks now, and I have a real funny feeling that it will be next spring before I get to shoot it.
    Bow season is closing in fast, along with youth season deer.
    I will be haveing my boy practice with my .223 or maybe my 22-250.
    I have no 22 LR, or 22 mag for him to practice with.
    ?
    Oh well

stangfish
    The 17 WSM debacle is just another example of the Gun industry putting itself out of business. Never before or since 1976 have I ever seen such shortages of ammo or guns. I look at Midway and a box of ammos is 14.00 and because they don't have it you see it all over gunbroker for 50.00 and up a box. This kind of gouging and greed is going to keep the shooting industry as many people have just lost interest. Look at 22 ammo it is 5 times the price it used to be and yet the factories are producing a million rounds a day.
    What do some of the guys on THF say? Thats capitolism and a free market.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymaster View Post
    OK,
    I read were Winchester had over 50 million 17 wsm rounds ready to go at the beginning of June.
    Savage just released the B mag last week.
    A post on Savage Shooters had a gentleman order a box from Sportsman Warehouse last week, they are now sold out.
    A post today had a gentleman buy the last box at Cabelas somewhere ?
    Gunbroker has some dealers with 1 or 2 boxes on auction for more than $50.00 a box each.
    I see were 1 dealer is in Arizona, another in Ohio, and 1 in Missouri.
    Midway - nothing available, expected in August.
    Cabelas - nothing - not even listed on line yet that I can find, I just called them to verify, the do not have it listed.
    Sportsman Warehouse nothing listed available online.
    Bass pro - nothing listed.
    Natchez - not available at this time .
    I have been relitively calm with the 22lr, and 22 mag circus going on.
    I am now starting to believe that there are games being played on the ammo market.
    3 dealers have ammo for online auctions, and a smaller retailer had some, but none of the largest retailers have anything to ship/send out ?
    WT_? Really, Joe Smoe in Ohio can get ammo, but Cabelas and Midway can not ? Come on.
    I would really like to know how much 17 wsm ammunition Winchester has sent out, and to whom, so we all can know the "real" story.
    FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish my Dillon could reload rimfire.
    1st of all when I talked to a ammo tech / CSR at Winchester just before Memorial Day he told me they had ORDERS for 13 million rounds not 50 million. Then in the 2nd week of July Midway received and sold 20gr and then 25gr. Everyone that knew about it was confused that they didn't get any product arrival notice. I guessed that they received a mere 10,000 rounds. Yes I posted that I received some from Sportsmans Warehouse. I made the mistake of only buying one box. I then ordered 3 boxes from Cabellas and some extra stuff. I only received the extra stuff. :-(

I got in on the Midway deal for the 20gr but missed on the 25gr. I was hoping to find someone who had 25gr and wanted to swap for some 20gr. My rifle shoots 25gr better but not everyone's shoots 25gr better.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    The simple answer is folks need to just stop buying for a while. The vast majority of us have more than we can shoot in many years yet we keep gobbling up every round we see.

We are doing this to ourselves!
    Glenn Beck, Shawn Hannity and others have been suggesting buying gold for a long time. Well not all of us can afford to buy gold & silver. The next precious metal is AMMO. Sorry but that is truth.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    Glenn Beck, Shawn Hannity and others have been suggesting buying gold for a long time. Well not all of us can afford to buy gold & silver. The next precious metal is AMMO. Sorry but that is truth.
    and just like gold and silver it is a false market created by paranoia and greed.........

if you're buying ammo as an investment you need to engage the services of a professional financial planner.....or a good shrink!

no offense intended!
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    and just like gold and silver it is a false market created by paranoia and greed.........

if you're buying ammo as an investment you need to engage the services of a professional financial planner.....or a good shrink!

no offense intended!
    No offense intended BUT that is where you are wrong. I wouldn't hedge my bets against gold & silver. Also I will neither confirm not deny the amount of ammo I have but I can tell you that I can turn a tidy profit. Will I get rich? No. Will I make a good profit, heck yeah. Have I sold any, no, not yet.

Keep it on topic please.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    So Winchested shipped 10,000 rounds to Midway in early July.
    Well, that is upsetting.
    If I did my job, like Midway is doing theirs, I would not have a job. I was never notified either, and I am on the e mail notice.
    Oh well.
    I won't go on anymore, I need to try to find some Hornady bullets tonight, before those are all gone, since they will not produce them for the remainder of 2013.
    Hows that hope and change "in your pocket" working out ?

Basic Member
    So Winchester shipped 10,000 rounds to Midway in early July.
    Well, that is upsetting.
    If I did my job, like Midway is doing theirs, I would not have a job. I was never notified either, and I am on the e mail notice.
    Oh well.
    I won't go on anymore, I need to try to find some Hornady bullets tonight, before those are all gone, since they will not produce them for the remainder of 2013.
    Hows that hope and change "in your pocket" working out ?
    Look, I don't know if the amount was 10,000. I assumed that number. Also NO ONE received notification and the ammo, whatever amount, was gone in hours. At that time they were allowing 10 boxes per customer. This time I was notified and the amount was 5 boxes per customer. They were gone in 10 minutes.

Monkey, if you want a box of ammo you could just ask me instead of being grumpy about it.

Poor Shot
    Found .17wsm ammo at Cabelas at about 17:15 today. At least I think I did. It calls it ".17 Winchester Short Magnum" in places. Also has picture of 20gr. 3000fps cartridge box on page and describes 20gr cartridge. I ordered 10 boxes at $16.99 and the completed order that I printed off calls it "17wsm 25gr tipped". I don't really know what I will get but at least I'm trying. I found it at this web page:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...&destination=/

Basic Member
    Poor Shot,
    Thank you for the information, and especially the link.
    I ordered 4 boxes, and it was just like you said it was, 20 grain on the box, 25 grain tipped on the order form.
    I recieved a confirmation number, so, I think I will be getting some.
    Also, Please note.
    I have checked in Cabelas web site every day except Sunday, typed in IK-218742 for this ammunition, and I get either out of stock no back order, or I get a "that number is no longer available".
    I even typed it in the Cabela's search box, with the ammunition and order quantity on the screen tonight, and I got "that number is no longer available".
    I am not sure what is going on with all of that, but use the link Poor Shot provided guys.
    Thanks again Poor Shot.

Basic Member
    Plinkin,
    Thanks, but I think Poor Shot has gotten me a link into Cabelas on some ammo.
    Also, FYI
    You stated that you were notified for the ammo from Midway. That is good.
    However, I have all three 17 wsm rounds that Midway has on their site on my wish list, and on the "to notify me" list, and I have not been notified.
    I also had some .308 150 grain hornady spt on the same list, and was never notified for those either.
    I called midway today, and they confirmed that my account has those 4 items in my wish list and to be notified list.
    They could not however, explain why I was NOT notified on either the 2, that they got back in stock, then out of stock on.
    Also
    Midway also automatically changed my quantitiy on some Fiocchi 223 ammo last spring from 2 - 200 round ammo cans to 1 - 200 round can.
    I even vented on the Savage Shooters site about that one, and how I felt the rules of the gsme were being changed as we played it.
    Sour grapes maybe, but I will stand by what I said, If I did my job, and provided the quality of customer service that I have been getting the last 6 to 8 months, I would be fired from my job.
    Now, having said that, up to that point, I had very good results with Midway, and no complaints.
    I hope Midways customer service gets back to the "good ol days".

Basic Member
    Well I put an order in for 25gr. I have been trying more 25gr since my rifle seems to shoot it a bit better, so I ordered a "few" boxes.

Basic Member
    Plinkin,
    Thanks, but I think Poor Shot has gotten me a link into Cabelas on some ammo.
    Also, FYI
    You stated that you were notified for the ammo from Midway. That is good.
    However, I have all three 17 wsm rounds that Midway has on their site on my wish list, and on the "to notify me" list, and I have not been notified.
    I also had some .308 150 grain hornady spt on the same list, and was never notified for those either.
    I called midway today, and they confirmed that my account has those 4 items in my wish list and to be notified list.
    They could not however, explain why I was NOT notified on either the 2, that they got back in stock, then out of stock on.
    Also
    Midway also automatically changed my quantitiy on some Fiocchi 223 ammo last spring from 2 - 200 round ammo cans to 1 - 200 round can.
    I even vented on the Savage Shooters site about that one, and how I felt the rules of the game were being changed as we played it.
    Sour grapes maybe, but I will stand by what I said, If I did my job, and provided the quality of customer service that I have been getting the last 6 to 8 months, I would be fired from my job.
    Now, having said that, up to that point, I had very good results with Midway, and no complaints.
    I hope Midways customer service gets back to the "good ol days".
    Monkey, YES I said I was notified this most recent time. When the 17WSM 20gr came available early in July NO ONE, not even me, was notified. I happen to get a message from a Facebook reply that Midway had some. They were out of stock within hours. I didn't get 25gr when it 1st came available from Midway because I was on vacation. I didn't get it this last time because everyone was notified and BAM their server became very congested. I did however manage to order some from Cabelas again. Maybe I will actually gt some this time. The 1st time I ordered from them I also ordered some reloading supplies. By the time the order was processed none of the 17WSM was shipped. If this happens again I will cancel the order.

If I receive the entire shipment I will basically have a lifetime supply of 17WSM for the "B.Mine" Chances are I will not shoot up all this ammo since I have other varmint rifles I like shooting or need to shoot more often. I do like carrying this one out in the field though.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast