Thread: 340B sear spring orientation

jm190

Question 340B sear spring orientation

Hi All,
    My Dad willed me his Savage 340B in .22 Hornet. It belonged to my Mom's Dad before him. Anyways, it hadn't been cleaned in years so I removed the action and barrel from the stock. A quick rinse with Hoppe's was all it took. I have a question about the orientation of the sear spring. It's in place but doesn't seem to do anything. It's not tensioned in any way so before I take it apart to try and figure it out myself, I thought I would ask for some help here. I have several parts schematics but none are of any help. Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to be located in relation to the sear?

Thanks!

John

paperkite
    I just took my 340e model a part and the spring actually has little or no tension on it until the bolt is cocked and ready to fire " in battery " , then the hammer tensions it so that the trigger will return for the next cycle . It seems that part of the trigger pull comes from this spring and I am in the prcocess of changing the factory one out and trying all from approx .700 " down to about .200 or .300 in diameter and winding it to match the factory and see it that helps some . I needed to do a trigger job on it and hoping this rifle can be tuned up a bit . It is chambered in .22 Hornet and i have been experimenting with different loads to see what it likes best. I have in cased the first 12 inches of barrel from the muzzle in heat shrink tubing to act as a barrel tuner to quiet down the vibrations from the shot and the stock pinging trying to get it to the point that the bad shots are me not the barrel ....

jm190
    I had an individual provide a photo of his action on another forum and that verified what you have observed. I simply stoned the contact surfaces and that greatly improved the trigger pull on mine. My rifle seems to shoot pretty well with the stock barrel configuration, MOA at 100 yds, with factory ammo. I'm hand loading for mine as well to see how well I can get her to shoot.