Thread: How to ID an Accustock on a used gun?

woodlecj

How to ID an Accustock on a used gun?

I saw a used 111 in .270 with black stock and Accutrigger and side bolt release at my LGS. How do you tell if it's an Accustock on a used gun? I know when they are new there is the BIG sticker on the side!

Thanks,
    Craig

Side bolt release = not AccuStock

All AccuStock guns have the bottom bolt release.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

stangfish
    Also in case somebody like me that has altered a stock for a side bolt release, you can look in the magwell for aluminum.

woodlecj
    Thanks guys. So if I'm wrong where I remembered where the bolt release is and it is on the bottom, will the mag well be part of the stock and not the receiver?

thomae
    Internal mag should be attached to the stock, not attached to the receiver. Yes.

woodlecj
    Hey Thomae, another PA guy here. I've been to Centre county many times as I put 3 kids through State College.

So, I'm not trying to be dense, but getting a handle on the ins and outs of Savages is quite the quest. So I just bought a model 10 Trophy XP with the wooden stock and it has the DBM and the DBM catches to the inside of the stock, not the receiver. So Accustocks are only plastic right? And are they only internal mags, not detachable?

Team Savage
    The trigger guard, DBM frame and bottom cap on the Trophy Hunter is a tough composite (plastic) material. The clip release in on the bottom cap similar to the Axis.

Savage models with the Accustock have metal trigger gurards with front bolt release, metal DBM frame and metal bottom cap. The release is a lever in the metal DBM frame.

thomae
    Woodlecj: Welcome. If you are planning to come to my neck of the woods, let me know ahead of time and we can meet and say hello.
    jpdown has said it correctly. Current Savage rifles with detachable box magazines are of two different types. which both utilize the same magazine box, same spring, and the same follower as the internal magazines. The difference is in the floorplate.

The magazines with the metal floorplate go into a stock with a metal DBM frame. The release lever is attached to the DBM frame, not to the magazine. This system is used in the accustock and some other models.

The magazines with the composite floorplate go into a stock with a matching composite DBM frame (or into a Savage Axis). In this case, the release lever is an integral part of the floorplate and is NOT attached to the DBM frame.

I believe all accustocks have the DBM, but I don't actually know that to be true. There may be some internal magazine or hinged floorplate accustocks...I just don't know.

And you are correct, with all the models and variations it is difficult to know exactly what is out there.

woodsman416
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    I believe all accustocks have the DBM, but I don't actually know that to be true. There may be some internal magazine or hinged floorplate accustocks...I just don't know.

I have a model 116 Bearhunter in .338 win mag. It has an Accustock with a hinged floorplate.

stangfish
    yep, the 116 and the 16 WW's come that way.

Isn't there another action screw ahead of the normal front one?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

stangfish
    243, are you talking about the first generation accustock with the recoil lug clamp?

I suppose so,I'm not up on the newer models. I didn't know there was different types.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?